Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why can't I buy a sandwich here ?

Why can't I buy a sandwich here ?

Old Nov 24th 2007, 12:18 am
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why can't I buy a sandwich here ?

Originally Posted by Hart50
I appreciate that the culinary scene has improved in Britain over the years but let's be clear, Britain will never be described as the height of culinary excellence.

Heston Blumenthal has a very tasty snail porridge on his menu
Old Nov 24th 2007, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

ManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura about

Mattesons fish paste - terrible, but strangely appealing
Old Nov 24th 2007, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

holbendem is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it rather amusing that Brits are complaining about the quality of food in Canada. I appreciate that the culinary scene has improved in Britain over the years but let's be clear, Britain will never be described as the height of culinary excellence. The advantage of living in Canada is that for the most part we have access to a vast array of culinary delights and the fact that one cannot get a cucumber sarnie is perhaps a good thing.
The only culinary scene that has changed here in Britain is fast food and indian take always. If you see a shop premises empty, you try and get a licence to sell english food and you may not get it, but try to sell indian food and they will even help with a grant. its called helping with interrogation of different cultures. the fact that there is also 4 other indian take always on the same stretch of road doesn't matter.

who invented the microwave? loads of english pub- restaurants are starting to serve 2 meals for ten pounds. It sounds good but most are utter c--p just pre cooked factory prepared garbage served the toffy english way with knives and forks.

please give all your views to this very bad way us {soon not} Brits have to put up with.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hart50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
Heston Blumenthal has a very tasty snail porridge on his menu
Touche! My apologies, I was a bit over the top I've had some great dining experiences in Britain, including a few Michelin restos. I just get a little annoyed with people who can't get out of their box and enjoy the vast array of good eating opportunities in Canada, excluding the crap fast food of course.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

ManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura about

Touche! My apologies, I was a bit over the top I've had some great dining experiences in Britain, including a few Michelin restos. I just get a little annoyed with people who can't get out of their box and enjoy the vast array of good eating opportunities in Canada, excluding the crap fast food of course.
I think you guys are taking this a tad too seriously. There are good and bad restaurants everywhere - I've eaten some terrible food in France and Italy and some truly excellent food in UK and Canada (though on balance I've eaten better in Europe - excluding the UK).

I just like having fun with all the fast food terminology. I think we can all tell the difference between frozen honey garlic wings and a decent freshly made meal. What gets on my nerves (and makes me laugh) is when the fast food is branded as 'gourmet' (another overused and totally inappropriate term - eg gourmet burgers ).

That said, of all the places I have been, I do stuggle to find a real variety of food at least in Southern Ontario, there are Chinese and Indian places of course, but even these are on the bland side.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hart50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ManBearPig
I think you guys are taking this a tad too seriously. There are good and bad restaurants everywhere - I've eaten some terrible food in France and Italy and some truly excellent food in UK and Canada (though on balance I've eaten better in Europe - excluding the UK).

I just like having fun with all the fast food terminology. I think we can all tell the difference between frozen honey garlic wings and a decent freshly made meal. What gets on my nerves (and makes me laugh) is when the fast food is branded as 'gourmet' (another overused and totally inappropriate term - eg gourmet burgers ).

That said, of all the places I have been, I do stuggle to find a real variety of food at least in Southern Ontario, there are Chinese and Indian places of course, but even these are on the bland side.
Fair enough. We are lucky in Calgary in that for the size of the city we have quite a good ethnic culinary scene, if one chooses to explore of course.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 12:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ManBearPig
Can you get to Brampton or Toronto proper? There are good Indian places in both.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Can you get to Brampton or Toronto proper? There are good Indian places in both.
Yes I've heard, and I have Indian and Chinese friends who can recommend good authentic places in Toronto, but it's difficult for us as we have two very small children. If we do ever get baby sitters, we tend to say local. KW is not exactly the height of refinement - but hey it's home.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 3:14 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holbendem
The only culinary scene that has changed here in Britain is fast food and indian take always. If you see a shop premises empty, you try and get a licence to sell english food and you may not get it, but try to sell indian food and they will even help with a grant. its called helping with interrogation of different cultures. the fact that there is also 4 other indian take always on the same stretch of road doesn't matter.

who invented the microwave? loads of english pub- restaurants are starting to serve 2 meals for ten pounds. It sounds good but most are utter c--p just pre cooked factory prepared garbage served the toffy english way with knives and forks.

please give all your views to this very bad way us {soon not} Brits have to put up with.
I think this is probably the funniest, if telling, Freudian slip I've read in a while. The microwave was invented by an American, actually, Percy Lebaron Spencer in fact. Perhaps you should venture South in the UK; London has some of the best restaurants in the world. You may need some help with the menu, however.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 10:14 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
dum-de-dum-you-say-tomayto-I-say-tomarto.........

The last time someone asked me why I say tomarto I replied "because that's what it is"

He was speechless!

Herb/Errrb was the one i hated. I remember Eddie Izzard's stand up in San Francisco. The reason we pronounce erb, Herb, is because there's a fkin H in it!

Last edited by Londonuck; Nov 26th 2007 at 10:21 am.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:38 pm
Kev and Lisa

Rodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=ManBearPig;5596484]I think you guys are taking this a tad too seriously. There are good and bad restaurants everywhere - I've eaten some terrible food in France and Italy and some truly excellent food in UK and Canada (though on balance I've eaten better in Europe - excluding the UK).

[QUOTE]

Sorry just want to add been going to a fab pub for ages in uk 4 of us went yesterday as a girls last supper type thing and we have all got food poisoning! So my good resturant has now just been branded very bad! Just thought i'd share, as we're all ill.

Lisa
Old Nov 26th 2007, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry just want to add been going to a fab pub for ages in uk 4 of us went yesterday as a girls last supper type thing and we have all got food poisoning! So my good resturant has now just been branded very bad! Just thought i'd share, as we're all ill.

Lisa
Well, at least you won't forget your last supper with them in a hurry!

I'll get me coat

Last edited by Rob4BC; Nov 26th 2007 at 11:31 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

holbendem is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Why can't I buy a sandwich here ?

Originally Posted by dingbat
I think this is probably the funniest, if telling, Freudian slip I've read in a while. The microwave was invented by an American, actually, Percy Lebaron Spencer in fact. Perhaps you should venture South in the UK; London has some of the best restaurants in the world. You may need some help with the menu, however.
Care to elaborate with help?