Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why is Canadian Employers so slow to respond?

Why is Canadian Employers so slow to respond?

Old Nov 30th 2019, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

dpayne291 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why is Canadian Employers so slow to respond?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That is a common complaint I see often about Vancouver, also heard people refer to Vancouver as Flakecouver.

I have never been great at making friends, but everywhere else I have lived, I managed to make a couple, but here I have never been able to, people in general don't seem to like bringing new people into their groups, it's odd to me still. Back in San Diego pretty much everywhere I worked, I quickly got along with co-workers and we would have coffee or do things through the year, but here, always been go to work, go home, nobody for the most part has interest in doing things.

My sister in law is queen of flaking, she will say yes to something and then day before cancel 8 times out of 10, we rarely try to make plans with her anymore because of it, but my MIL is the same, she will flake out an hour before she was supposed to meet us.

But I see this type of complaint often online, usually posted by people who moved from elsewhere and notice it, locals who have been here a long time, or from here don't seem to notice and think its normal everywhere.

Seattle has similiar issues, from what I can tell based on comments made in local Seattle groups.

Vancouver/Lower Mainland is the only place I have struggled to even make acquaintance, I don't even try anymore.
As someone looking to Vancouver and is susceptible to loneliness, this concerns me.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 7:40 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dpayne291
As someone looking to Vancouver and is susceptible to loneliness, this concerns me.
It can be daunting. There's a phenomenon called the Seattle Freeze. The same can be applied to Vancouver and surrounding municipalities so it could be a feature unique to cities in the Pacific Northwest. Once you get out of Vancouver people are a bit more friendly.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

This sentence in the wiki pretty much spot on about Vancouver.

" as being standoffish, cold, distant, and distrustful, while in settings such as bars and parties, people from Seattle tend to mainly interact with their particular clique."

I find Vancouver people polite but not friendly, lines at transit are usually orderly and people are not rude, but they are not what I would call friendly. In the workplace in my experience people stick to their little cliques as well, and unless invited into one, you largely have a lonely isolating workplace and when spending 50% and sometimes more of an entire day at work, its really drains you at times.

Originally Posted by jandro
It can be daunting. There's a phenomenon called the Seattle Freeze. The same can be applied to Vancouver and surrounding municipalities so it could be a feature unique to cities in the Pacific Northwest. Once you get out of Vancouver people are a bit more friendly.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

mimiorange is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by I_Miss_Football
Hi All.
I have recently moved to Canada (Vancouver) from the UK (August 2019). Over the past 4 months, I have been applying to numerous Jobs for my line of work. I have managed to get a few interviews and just missed out - probably placing too much pressure on myself to get the Job !!

Anyway, one thing I have noticed is that Employers are very very slow to get back to applicants here. There are jobs that I applied to, in early August, inviting me to interview now after 4 months !! Furthermore, after a couple of interviews which I attended, I was informed that I would be told of the outcome in a few days. On average they have taken 2 weeks !!!

I use to think that HR departments in the UK were slow.....but this is taking it to another level.

Anyone had a similar experience?
Thank you for your comment. We are about to emmigrate to Canada next month. My husband has been applying to companies and he hasn't had an acknowledgement so we thot maybe because we still had UK address but you are making us believe from your comment this may not be the case.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 2:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mimiorange
Thank you for your comment. We are about to emmigrate to Canada next month. My husband has been applying to companies and he hasn't had an acknowledgement so we thot maybe because we still had UK address but you are making us believe from your comment this may not be the case.
You will likely get nowhere applying out of country unless your husband is in a niche profession or is headhunted. I strongly suggest reading our very helpful and informative WIKI about job hunting in Canada. First step is to Canadianise his resume (note, Resume not CV) - ensure that on it somewhere it says that he is legally able to work in Canada. Canada is all about networking - who you know - and being on the spot to apply, shake hands, follow up...

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...Hunting-Canada
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I'd say that is in the same category as people who say they will come to an event but cancel last minute or don't show. There's an issue here with people not wanting to appear rude, so they will say they agree to things when they don't or will do things they actually don't want to do to avoid conflict.
Funny, I read your comment and this exact thing happened to me last week. Some people were putting on a surprise birthday party for a friend, so I said I would go. Many of the other people in our group said they would go face to face to the organiser and then, day of, all but myself backed out, some of the excuses being akin to the dog eating one's homework. And this idea that they don't want to seem rude is weird because it is in fact rude to do so. Didn't make for a very comfortable evening.

Old Dec 4th 2019, 5:17 am
Just Joined

I_Miss_Football is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All. Thanks for all your replies and links, they seem to explain many of the questions that were bothering me. I have 1 final question, I went to a final interview (after passing a telephone interview, IT Systems Test, Analysis Assignment). That was 11 days ago. They said they would let all candidates know by Wed/Thu of last week. It's now almost a week later. Should I call them for an update or shall I assume I have not got the role? I'm a bit disappointed that they said they would let all candidates know and have not bothered, especially as so much time and effort was invested in the whole process.

PS.....I am a business analyst by profession.

I have spoken to my wife in the UK (she and the kids are waiting for the sale of our house to go through and will move here in March next year). She is an HR Director in the UK and is amazed that recruiters are acting in this way. Yesterday I had a telephone interview...which was scheduled for 4 pm but the HR person called at 10 am. Rather than appear rude and say I was busy I happily took part in the interview. However, I suffered as a result because I wanted to prepare a couple of hours beforehand....and the early call simply did not allow me to do that.

In all honesty, all this negative experience of trying to get a job is putting question marks in my head of - Do I really want to move here....it's easier to just head back before the house sale goes through !!
Old Dec 4th 2019, 2:08 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realize that the reverse is also a problem.

Old Dec 4th 2019, 2:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All. Thanks for all your replies and links, they seem to explain many of the questions that were bothering me. I have 1 final question, I went to a final interview (after passing a telephone interview, IT Systems Test, Analysis Assignment). That was 11 days ago. They said they would let all candidates know by Wed/Thu of last week. It's now almost a week later. Should I call them for an update or shall I assume I have not got the role? I'm a bit disappointed that they said they would let all candidates know and have not bothered, especially as so much time and effort was invested in the whole process.

I have spoken to my wife in the UK (she and the kids are waiting for the sale of our house to go through and will move here in March next year). She is an HR Director in the UK and is amazed that recruiters are acting in this way. Yesterday I had a telephone interview...which was scheduled for 4 pm but the HR person called at 10 am. Rather than appear rude and say I was busy I happily took part in the interview. However, I suffered as a result because I wanted to prepare a couple of hours beforehand....and the early call simply did not allow me to do that.

In all honesty, all this negative experience of trying to get a job is putting question marks in my head of - Do I really want to move here....it's easier to just head back before the house sale goes through !!
Congrats on getting that far...

Have a read of our Wiki section on job hunting - it's worth looking at.. has hints as to what to do 'after' if you haven't heard back

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...Hunting-Canada

On what basis are you here presently? TWP or PR?
Old Dec 4th 2019, 10:43 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

I've rarely been contacted when my job application/interview was unsuccessful. It would be appreciated though especially when the process involves multiple interviews, tests etc. I doubt sending a "Thank you" note would be much appreciated.

I would have said I was not ready and politely asked to re-schedule the phone interview. That gives me the impression the HR representative assumes candidates are desperate and willing to drop everything in a moments notice for the chance of getting a job.

Good luck.
Old Dec 4th 2019, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I have found HR people to do that more than once, say they will call at this time but either call way earlier or later but rarely at the time agreed upon. Or they will use a central recruiting department in Toronto or Montreal and call stupidly early at 6am or 7am in Vancouver, um your calling about a position in Vancouver and the person your calling lives in Vancouver maybe its not best to call that early. I had an airline in Canada once call me at 5am but it was 8am in Montreal. I told them I had to reschedule and reminded them of the time difference.

Never worked in the UK, but I find the management and work culture in BC (maybe elsewhere in Canada) to be toxic with a don't like it there is the door attitude towards employees who are seen as disposable. My last job if anyone ever asked for a raise it was always find a new job from management. They would rather people quit then provide a raise.