Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Why is Canada better than England?

Why is Canada better than England?

Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:58 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is Canada better than England?

Originally Posted by Steve_P
But isn't that the meaning of the phrase?

You take whatever life throws at you and you deal with it.
Is this self help cliche week or something?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:59 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Is this self help cliche week or something?
If the shoe fits.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

But isn't that the meaning of the phrase?

You take whatever life throws at you and you deal with it.
No, to me that phrase means that if you succeed it's down to your own efforts, if you don't then it's your own fault. No element of chance or outside influence.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus
No, to me that phrase means that if you succeed it's down to your own efforts, if you don't then it's your own fault. No element of chance or outside influence.
That makes no sense to me.

I was asked a number of times how we managed the first time my heart issues were known to us and that bypass was necessary.

Our most common answer was shit happens and you deal with it, no point in falling to pieces. Similar to my above comment.

It had nothing to do with success or failure just dealing with whatever life throws at you, chance or otherwise.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:14 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy

No thanks to mom that they topped language, eh.
They get the language skills from there dad, they get there stubborness and stuff from there mother
Can't be bothered with the spelling/grammer police on here, i type as i speak
You know me better than that butch
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:31 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
Can't be bothered with the spelling/grammer police on here, i type as i speak
You know me better than that butch
Which is why 'we' you (well sometimes we do anyway)
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

That makes no sense to me.

I was asked a number of times how we managed the first time my heart issues were known to us and that bypass was necessary.

Our most common answer was shit happens and you deal with it, no point in falling to pieces. Similar to my above comment.

It had nothing to do with success or failure just dealing with whatever life throws at you, chance or otherwise.
I don't understand why it doesn't make sense. Life isn't what you make it. As you say you didn't make your heart problems, no more than someone else may not have caused being laid off, being unable to get a job. Nothing you could have done would have changed that so your life is not what you made it. You have contributed to the circumstances but given a choice you would have probably not chosen the cardiac option.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

johngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nice

I'm scared to say...in case it get deleted for going of topic.....doh..like i have!! Ummm quickly...errr the space.....hated coming back to people getting in my way and not being able to ask them to get out of the way for fear of being stabbed....and that was at the airport!!
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I don't understand why it doesn't make sense. Life isn't what you make it. As you say you didn't make your heart problems, no more than someone else may not have caused being laid off, being unable to get a job. Nothing you could have done would have changed that so your life is not what you made it. You have contributed to the circumstances but given a choice you would have probably not chosen the cardiac option.
But to me life is precisely what you make it, it is what you do when those things you cannot control jump up and smack you.

I would definitely not have chosen the cardiac option but seeing as it was thrust upon me, it was up to me to deal with it, accept it and its consequences and move on as best I can.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

But to me life is precisely what you make it, it is what you do when those things you cannot control jump up and smack you.

I would definitely not have chosen the cardiac option but seeing as it was thrust upon me, it was up to me to deal with it, accept it and its consequences and move on as best I can.
We have the same philpsophy on making the best of what you have been doled out, but that sentence "Life is what you make it" means something different to us.

'Life is what you make it', is not the same as 'Life is what you make of what you have been given', or 'Life is what you make of it, allowing for luck'.

To me it dismisses the efforts that people make and "still" don't get what they strive for.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by canadarules
Opinions...
There are pros and cons everywhere. Diversity is what makes the World interesting.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cheepnis
well for one thing H1N1 vaccines for the whole population vs the lucky 14 million or so available in the UK...
Boring. Why subscribe to this mass histeria. 50,000 people a day die of AIDS in Africa. 2000 people are are murdered a month in Johannesburg. I am tired of watching programes teaching people how to sneeze and wash their hands.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 3:12 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Boring. Why subscribe to this mass histeria. 50,000 people a day die of AIDS in Africa. 2000 people are are murdered a month in Johannesburg. I am tired of watching programes teaching people how to sneeze and wash their hands.
Do you just trawl the forums looking for other peoples opinions to belittle?
Old Nov 29th 2009, 3:56 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Do you just trawl the forums looking for other peoples opinions to belittle?
He has a point though. Neurotic canadians need to get some perspective.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 4:03 am
Banned

Originally Posted by cheepnis
well for one thing H1N1 vaccines for the whole population vs the lucky 14 million or so available in the UK...
Originally Posted by Alan2005
He has a point though. Neurotic canadians need to get some perspective.
Alan Before you defend him think about the post he was referring too.

How does the above suggest the CANADIANS are neurotic? (I'm not saying you aren't right, but he is belitting the opinions of a BRIT)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.