Why Canada?

Old Apr 20th 2018, 5:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Canada?

Originally Posted by NavyBoy
Depends, here in Ottawa I have never heard of the buses not running. School buses yes, but have been able to get downtown for work via the buses.

I guess there must have been some occasions but asking around most people agree if the busses are not running you 'ant leaving the house and the city will be closed.
The buses didn't run a couple of times during my one winter in Ottawa and one was involved in a collision causing us to have to call a taxi. They're good but it's not like Moncton Transit.

In Toronto it was common for the busses/trams to be stranded because a car would get stuck in the snow and the transit vehicle couldn't go around, more so with trams than busses, admittedly.

Anyway, isn't Ottawa west of Montreal?
Old Apr 20th 2018, 6:04 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The buses didn't run a couple of times during my one winter in Ottawa and one was involved in a collision causing us to have to call a taxi. They're good but it's not like Moncton Transit.

In Toronto it was common for the busses/trams to be stranded because a car would get stuck in the snow and the transit vehicle couldn't go around, more so with trams than busses, admittedly.

Anyway, isn't Ottawa west of Montreal?
About 220km west of Montreal.

The garbage guys impress me. Schools closed, Ottawa's bendy buses, well, bending, airport closed...

The garbage truck still shows up. These Lebanese/African immigrants are badasses.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The buses and train in Vancouver when it snows has issues usually. Delays mostly but some routes get cancelled.

Particualry the routes up Burnaby mountain.

Skytrain is iffy in snow as well.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 7:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
...The garbage guys impress me. Schools closed, Ottawa's bendy buses, well, bending, airport closed...

The garbage truck still shows up. ...
I feel the same about the newspaper delivery.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If you happen to live and work next to the bus stop and you have fixed working hours then public transit is a viable option in urban Canada. It is, however, nonsense to say that it is "tons better than the US", almost everyone in NYC gets to work by public transit, plainly there is better public transit in NYC than there is in Canada east of Montreal. It may be that Vancouver has a single highly organized transit system so that the trams tie in with the subway cars and they cleanly meet the monorail. I doubt that, but even if it did it did it would be arguable whether or not it surpasses BART.

I don't care for the "everything in Canada is better than the US and that's all that counts" narrative but I will concede that public transit in rural Nebraska isn't great.

I live one block from one bus route and about 5 blocks from another, both took / will take me to where I would transfer to my second bus, with less than one block to walk.

Vancouver buses run until ca 1 am or 2 am and re-start at around 5 am, so I was never left without transit home as the latest I would need to get the bus home was about 7 pm ......... most of the time I set my own hours. There are 10 Night Buses that run through the night on certain major routes.

In almost 50 years of using transit here, I can only recall a few occasions when there has been no transit at all, and they were all caused by the union going on strike.

Snow fall and icy conditions can cause problems on some routes even in the city due to steep hills (as in going up Burnaby Mountain) or ice on the trolley wires. But there is usually a way round.

That's buses ............. Skytrain can be even better but it doesn't serve where I need to go.

I wouldn't know about NYC ................. transit in the city where we lived ran from about 6 am to 6 pm, into town and then out again, so it really was like the spokes of a wheel, all change in the centre of town. It was used only by those who had no access to cars and whose hours of work fitted those times. Service was even less or absent on weekends and holidays.