Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

why buy "Made in China" ?

why buy "Made in China" ?

Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:42 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why buy "Made in China" ?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I suspect that Chinese and, for that matter, Indian businessmen do not share your ideals. They are unlikely to agree to things such as unions and I don't see their governments backing them on that issue.
Unions are great; contrary to popular belief they are the free market in action.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Unions are great; contrary to popular belief they are the free market in action.
I am not saying they are or they are not. I just can't see the Asian Tigers embracing them. Just like NuLabour hasn't.

When I was a Prison Officer, I used to belong to the POA. Each year the Home Office would offer a 5% or so pay increase, the POA would get them down to 3% in no time.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:45 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

It is very easy for those without "wealth" to point the fingers at those that do and state that they are all bad apples. When people do, it smacks to me of jealousy. Those that have acquired vast wealth, generally, are those that took risks that others weren't prepared to take and the risk came off. I would imagine that, for each such risk taker, there are many that took similar risks that failed. There but for the grace of god and all that.

I don't worship wealth and, I would imagine, most posters on here have more than I do. But I do not envy those with wealth either. I made my choices and I am happy with them, they made their's and, one would assume, they are happy with their's too.
YEah yeah yeah. I've read Ayn Rand too.

Except, a lot of people with vast wealth just inherited it. And are like royal and stuff. So they were good at invading countries and shagging peasants and the like, but it's hard to argue they took business risks.

I didn't state they were all bad apples, I was questioning Alan's idea that all wealth was reinvested in technology, not buying things. This observation was based on working DT and seeing lots of shops of Hermes etc and lots of fancy cars.

As it turned out, that's not what Alan meant, so whatever.

And sure, if someone's made their money, all power to them.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:47 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I am not saying they are or they are not. I just can't see the Asian Tigers embracing them. Just like NuLabour hasn't.

When I was a Prison Officer, I used to belong to the POA. Each year the Home Office would offer a 5% or so pay increase, the POA would get them down to 3% in no time.

I disagree. It's not going to come from the elites. It's not like businesses are going to create unions for their staff. It will come from the people, if it needs to.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
YEah yeah yeah. I've read Ayn Rand too.

Except, a lot of people with vast wealth just inherited it. And are like royal and stuff. So they were good at invading countries and shagging peasants and the like, but it's hard to argue they took business risks.

I didn't state they were all bad apples, I was questioning Alan's idea that all wealth was reinvested in technology, not buying things. This observation was based on working DT and seeing lots of shops of Hermes etc and lots of fancy cars.

As it turned out, that's not what Alan meant, so whatever.

And sure, if someone's made their money, all power to them.
I have no idea who Ayn Rand is. I guess I must be ignorant.

I thought we were talking about corporations and shareholders etc, not the Royal Family.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:48 pm

yeah. I think unions in BC are too powerful and have ceased to serve the purpose they were set up to do, but they were def. necessary at one point and I'm sure they will be again.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to say. I suspect that there are several non-cultural reasons why Chinese workers aren't unionized. The fact that it's a buyers market for labour is going to be significant.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I disagree. It's not going to come from the elites. It's not like businesses are going to create unions for their staff. It will come from the people, if it needs to.

And how will that work? The people are rarely voted into power. The "bad people" will surely change the rules to suit their own needs, ensuring the people will never be able to attain power.

Unless, of course, you are suggesting that a Revolution will occur in the East. I just can't see that.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:50 pm

I have no idea who Ayn Rand is. I guess I must be ignorant.

I thought we were talking about corporations and shareholders etc, not the Royal Family.
we were talking about wealth, dude.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:51 pm

yeah. I think unions in BC are too powerful and have ceased to serve the purpose they were set up to do, but they were def. necessary at one point and I'm sure they will be again.
The problem with unions here is the general blurring with government and the fact you are coerced into joining. You shouldn't have to join a union to be a teacher for instance; membership should be attractive enough in it's own right.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:52 pm

And how will that work? The people are rarely voted into power. The "bad people" will surely change the rules to suit their own needs, ensuring the people will never be able to attain power.

Unless, of course, you are suggesting that a Revolution will occur in the East. I just can't see that.

Well, you keep not seeing it and I'll remain open minded and we'll see where we are in 50 years 'kay?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:53 pm

The problem with unions here is the general blurring with government and the fact you are coerced into joining. You shouldn't have to join a union to be a teacher for instance; membership should be attractive enough in it's own right.
yeah.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 10:56 pm

Yeah, of course China never had a workers revolution before and now-a-days doesn't occasionally have to suppress dissent. Those guys at Tienanmen Square were just having a fun day out weren't they - yeah that was it.

Last edited by Alan2005; Mar 11th 2010 at 10:59 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Unrest in China doesn't seem that remote a possibility to me. Communist party there has a balancing act to keep domestic economic growth up to keep enough people happy but at the same time if their success damages the "buying" economies sufficiently then the buyers won't have enough money to buy with. No buyers means no growth. Chinese unemployment is quite high bearing in mind the number of years of high growth they've had. Future growth may only be sustainable if domestic consumption rises now.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

How did this turn into a union debate ? Original thread asked when you last bought something "made in china" that was any good.Seems to be going down the "apathy rules" road,well if this is the way you want to go that's fine,but with North American and Canadian manufacturing companies closing on a weekly basis surely it's time to stop buying crap from the far east before ot's too late.
I work in the steel industry and we are under serious threat from cheap imports.Friends back in England who work in quarrying/stone etc are under threat because it is supposedly cheaper to import gravel from Asia(china) than it is to mine the stuff from beneath their feet.Never been a very political person but we are being slowly taken over by these people and it needs to stop.
Anyhow let me ask the question again,when did you last by a product made in China that was any good ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.