Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

why buy "Made in China" ?

why buy "Made in China" ?

Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:31 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why buy "Made in China" ?

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
How did this turn into a union debate ? Original thread asked when you last bought something "made in china" that was any good.Seems to be going down the "apathy rules" road,well if this is the way you want to go that's fine,but with North American and Canadian manufacturing companies closing on a weekly basis surely it's time to stop buying crap from the far east before ot's too late.
I work in the steel industry and we are under serious threat from cheap imports.Friends back in England who work in quarrying/stone etc are under threat because it is supposedly cheaper to import gravel from Asia(china) than it is to mine the stuff from beneath their feet.Never been a very political person but we are being slowly taken over by these people and it needs to stop.
Anyhow let me ask the question again,when did you last by a product made in China that was any good ?
Then Canadian manufacturers need to either make it better or cheaper. You can't expect consumers to prop up businesses just because they are Canadian.

Pretty much all the electronic equipment I own was made in China - even if most of it was outsourced there. I have a lenovo laptop which is pretty good and that's a Chinese company since they bought IBM's laptop arm (they were making them anyway so it was the obvious thing to do once IBM decided to sell).
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:37 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

How did this turn into a union debate ? Original thread asked when you last bought something "made in china" that was any good.Seems to be going down the "apathy rules" road,well if this is the way you want to go that's fine,but with North American and Canadian manufacturing companies closing on a weekly basis surely it's time to stop buying crap from the far east before ot's too late.
I work in the steel industry and we are under serious threat from cheap imports.Friends back in England who work in quarrying/stone etc are under threat because it is supposedly cheaper to import gravel from Asia(china) than it is to mine the stuff from beneath their feet.Never been a very political person but we are being slowly taken over by these people and it needs to stop.
Anyhow let me ask the question again,when did you last by a product made in China that was any good ?
A couple of years ago I bought another Apple MacBook Pro; designed in California, made in China.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:41 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

TV's x 2, iPhones x 2, DVD Player purchased in last 30 days and all work most satisfactorily and seem well constructed. I believe you would have difficulty finding such items that were manufactured in UK, USA or Canada. If you know of any manufacturing of such items in these three countries, please enlighten us.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Then Canadian manufacturers need to either make it better or cheaper. You can't expect consumers to prop up businesses just because they are Canadian.

Pretty much all the electronic equipment I own was made in China - even if most of it was outsourced there. I have a lenovo laptop which is pretty good and that's a Chinese company since they bought IBM's laptop arm (they were making them anyway so it was the obvious thing to do once IBM decided to sell).
Yes we should prop up Canadian businesses before it's too late,maybe it is already.
If all the electronic equipment you own is of chinese origin,you ought to check with your insurance company,could pose a serious fire risk !!!
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin

TV's x 2, iPhones x 2, DVD Player purchased in last 30 days and all work most satisfactorily and seem well constructed. I believe you would have difficulty finding such items that were manufactured in UK, USA or Canada. If you know of any manufacturing of such items in these three countries, please enlighten us.
Haven't got an issue with Japanese electronics,Sony,Hitachi etc etc,or the culture overthere.You bought your stuff 30 days ago,best of luck.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we should prop up Canadian businesses before it's too late,maybe it is already.
If all the electronic equipment you own is of chinese origin,you ought to check with your insurance company,could pose a serious fire risk !!!
I don't see it as my job to prop up Canadian businesses. You do know that everything you are saying about China was said about Japan in the 60's and 70's.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 11:56 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't got an issue with Japanese electronics,Sony,Hitachi etc etc,or the culture overthere.You bought your stuff 30 days ago,best of luck.
You may want to flip over your Sony laptop etc. and check out where it was actually made.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:17 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I have bought Chinese made goods for many years, not because they were Chinese but rather because they were attractive/suited my purpose and were attractively priced. I have experienced no problems with them. My digital box, its remote control, my laptop and printer and my SONY remote control were all made in China. I have had them all in excess of two years and all continue to work without problems.
I would not buy an electronic item made in China with a brand name I did not recognize and I agree there is a good deal of junk made there, but much made under licence from UK, USA and Canadian companies is of high quality.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:17 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have no idea who Ayn Rand is. I guess I must be ignorant.
Oh come on.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:19 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is utter tosh, and as such is being duly ignored by yours truly.

Just thought you'd all like to know.

<a first instance, I think, of a well executed reverse flounce?>
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:21 am
Banned

So how many of the 70 posts did you read before so concluding?
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
This thread is utter tosh, and as such is being duly ignored by yours truly.

Just thought you'd all like to know.

<a first instance, I think, of a well executed reverse flounce?>
Wouldn't you have to be coming back for that? Seems like an ordinary plain vanilla flounce to me.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:32 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
So how many of the 70 posts did you read before so concluding?
I have to admit only the first few and then from the point on that Oak started self-justifying his unjustifiable employ, as eloquently and as wrongly as ever.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:33 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Wouldn't you have to be coming back for that? Seems like an ordinary plain vanilla flounce to me.
Oh no! I'm flouncing in, don't you see?
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:34 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

bloody academics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.