Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

WHV and Goods to Follow list

WHV and Goods to Follow list

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:57 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default WHV and Goods to Follow list

Sorry if this has been asked before but I did a search and I couldn't find anything. I know that a WHV is basically just a 12 month open TWP and other TWP holders often complete the standard GTF form as required but I wasn't sure if the process is the same.

We just need to have a few boxes of personal belongings over once we've arrived really, nothing fancy and we will just be using a standard courier service to pick the packages up from my parents in the UK and send them to us in Canada but we would obviously like to avoid any import charges if entitled to do so.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:14 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHV and Goods to Follow list

So nobody knows anything about this then?
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:46 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

We did this when we landed on skilled worker visa. We sent the goods with Transglobal Express (they actually went via DHL but were cheaper with Transglobal). We had them listed on our goods to follow list and declared this when we went through customs.

The goods were picked up three days before we left the UK and arrived in Canada (Toronto) before we did.......we did have to wait 9 days after landing as it took that long for customs to release the boxes into DHL bonded store in Ottawa...although I think this was DHL doing.

Once we finally had the customs paperwork all we did was go to the customs office which compared it against our goods to follow list and stamped the paperwork. We then went back to DHL showed them the stamped customs paperwork and they released them.

We flew Air Transat, had we not flown on a late friday night flight then I would have used Air Transat Freight service. Meaning the boxes would have flown on our flight and I could have cleared them that day in Toronto.

Cheers

JB
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:52 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

No idea - but IMO theres no harm completing the GTF form and having immigration stamp it. Better that than getting an unexpected customs bill
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:54 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by JB0591
We did this when we landed on skilled worker visa. We sent the goods with Transglobal Express (they actually went via DHL but were cheaper with Transglobal). We had them listed on our goods to follow list and declared this when we went through customs.

The goods were picked up three days before we left the UK and arrived in Canada (Toronto) before we did.......we did have to wait 9 days after landing as it took that long for customs to release the boxes into DHL bonded store in Ottawa...although I think this was DHL doing.

Once we finally had the customs paperwork all we did was go to the customs office which compared it against our goods to follow list and stamped the paperwork. We then went back to DHL showed them the stamped customs paperwork and they released them.

We flew Air Transat, had we not flown on a late friday night flight then I would have used Air Transat Freight service. Meaning the boxes would have flown on our flight and I could have cleared them that day in Toronto.

Cheers

JB
Thanks for the really helpful reply. We're also flying in with Air Transat so I'll look into the freight service but to be honest we're staying in a hotel when we first land until we can find something more fixed and we won't have a car there so it may just be easier for us to have things sent over once we've arrived.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:55 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Rob_999
No idea - but IMO theres no harm completing the GTF form and having immigration stamp it. Better that than getting an unexpected customs bill
Thanks, that's what I thought.

It will only be a few boxes of personal items anyway, it's not like we will be importing a house load of furniture or 10 crates of scotch.