Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

wht kind of car are u driving in Canada?!

wht kind of car are u driving in Canada?!

Old Sep 30th 2006, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

fatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb wht kind of car are u driving in Canada?!

hi all
i would appreciate it very much if you would share your advice and experience regarding buying a car used vs new, choosing a make and a model , choosing insuracne co etc...will save lots of headche for those of us still out of Canada.

Cheers
FD
Old Sep 30th 2006, 3:22 am
Missing my family so much

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of
Default Re: wht kind of car are u driving in Canada?!

Take a look at this thread - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395999

Very handy info on cars there. Prepare yourself for a massive shock when you go to buy car insurance! In fact, find out exactly how much it will cost you before you buy the car!

Best of luck.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 7:07 am
Just Joined

dfkd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by H143
Take a look at this thread - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395999

Very handy info on cars there. Prepare yourself for a massive shock when you go to buy car insurance! In fact, find out exactly how much it will cost you before you buy the car!

Best of luck.
My only and most important tip is this.

DO NOT buy a car from a North American company.

Go German, go Korean, go Japanese (my personal preference for reliability).
The cars made on this continent are simply inferior. I'm literally traumatised by the one American Ford that I owned.

Just spare yourself the pain.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 3:02 pm
Missing my family so much

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of

Apparently the VWs here are made in Mexico!
Old Sep 30th 2006, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

dfkd is an unknown quantity at this point

Every last one is...
Old Sep 30th 2006, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

fatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dfkd
Every last one is...
new VW will be made in germany.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice

Toyota stopped exporting cars from Japan to North America about 20 years ago and all cars for the local market are made in North America. If you live in the east, you will be buying a Toyota that has been made in Cambridge Ontario, most likely, whereas in the west your Toyota will be made in North Virgina (although I stand to be corrected on this). Hondas are made here too (at least as far as I know). However, the quality of these brands has not been compromised thus far.

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry--which is a great car to drive but got poor ratings on safety because Toyota, despite all the evidence, refuses to put in side air bags automatically. Overall, Toyota has been left behind in terms of safety. The insurance for this car is about $1400 a year.

Just this week I got my brand new Honda Fit, which is the first new car I have ever owned. It got very good reviews and won over the Toyota Yaris because it has ABS brakes and side airbags as standard and I can get my stroller in the back without taking off the wheel. The insurance for this is about $1600 a year.

I wouldn't touch an American car, as someone else said on this thread. American cars are cheaper but your repair bill will be higher. My sister used to work for a GM dealership, handling the repair side of things, and then moved to a Honda dealership. She couldn't believe the difference in terms of how often the GMs needed repairs, whereas at the Honda place business was so slow she eventually left out of boredom.
Old Sep 30th 2006, 6:05 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever someone asks my hubby what sort of car to get he always says - Japanese cars don't go wrong!

Why then am I driving a '98 Ford Expedition?- he is driving a chevy Camaro and is looking for a Ford Bronco for the winter.

I am fortunate in the fact that my hubby is a grease monkey and can spot the good from the bad - we get stung once in a while (our turnover of cars is pretty high - not as bad as in UK thank god! we used to swap cars every 3-6 months there)I'm only on my 2nd car here, 1st was a early 90's Explorer. No probs with either car (as she touches wood maniacally). Hubby has so far had on the road 2 camaro's a Ford F150 and a Mercury Zephyr - again no major probs. Another tidbit of advice hubby always give - if you go for an older car go for a high end one i.e. a Lariat or Eddie Bauer don't go for the base models. The better models tend to be looked after a bit better.

we are also fortunate that the insurance we have managed to get isn't as scary as most peoples - that could be because they are not new cars - i don't know.

The one brand new car hubby might not be able to resist will be the new challenger when it is released in 2008 - he is already excited

As you may have notice - his advice japanese cars don't go wrong - if you look at what we have had..........well a case of do what I say not what I do comes to mind.

When we were in England my hubby was always being asked "ive got x amount will you get me a car?" and they were generally happy with what he got sight unseen and would often come back to him for the next car. So i think he's advice is pretty good and not just 'cause I love 'im
Old Sep 30th 2006, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatdoc
hi, are you female, young, good looking and rich? If so - send pictures! Cheers FD
..........is what I expected to see when I saw you'd started a thread
Old Oct 1st 2006, 12:56 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

.. just as an aside to the OP's notes up there - I knew a gent out in Aurora who told me he works on the production lines for Honda.

.. so I suppose they're made there too.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 1:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfkd
My only and most important tip is this.

DO NOT buy a car from a North American company.

Go German, go Korean, go Japanese (my personal preference for reliability).
The cars made on this continent are simply inferior. I'm literally traumatised by the one American Ford that I owned.

Just spare yourself the pain.
I've been very happy with a long string of American Fords.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 2:17 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it matters that much what sort of car you drive. It mostly depends on your self image and your susceptabilty to advertisements and other crap like that.

Of course, it's probably a mistake to drive a Smartcar in Nunavit, so I guess location has something to do with it.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 3:27 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

6 Litre Dodge Ram truck, 4 Litre Jeep Wrangler and 2.5 Litre Subaru Outback - total insurance costs for all 3 vehicles is under $2,000 per year. I can't understand how you guys are being quoted the figures you are being quoted for insurance.....ours is cheap! And ours is fully comprehensive insurance.

We do have a '67 Camaro convertible but it is not on the road as yet as we imported it from the UK and it is still "relaxing" in our shipping container LOL!!
Old Oct 1st 2006, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Calgal
..........is what I expected to see when I saw you'd started a thread

oh my gosh....you NEED a new picture
Old Oct 1st 2006, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Whenever someone asks my hubby what sort of car to get he always says - Japanese cars don't go wrong!

Why then am I driving a '98 Ford Expedition?- he is driving a chevy Camaro and is looking for a Ford Bronco for the winter.

I am fortunate in the fact that my hubby is a grease monkey and can spot the good from the bad - we get stung once in a while (our turnover of cars is pretty high - not as bad as in UK thank god! we used to swap cars every 3-6 months there)I'm only on my 2nd car here, 1st was a early 90's Explorer. No probs with either car (as she touches wood maniacally). Hubby has so far had on the road 2 camaro's a Ford F150 and a Mercury Zephyr - again no major probs. Another tidbit of advice hubby always give - if you go for an older car go for a high end one i.e. a Lariat or Eddie Bauer don't go for the base models. The better models tend to be looked after a bit better.

we are also fortunate that the insurance we have managed to get isn't as scary as most peoples - that could be because they are not new cars - i don't know.

The one brand new car hubby might not be able to resist will be the new challenger when it is released in 2008 - he is already excited

As you may have notice - his advice japanese cars don't go wrong - if you look at what we have had..........well a case of do what I say not what I do comes to mind.

When we were in England my hubby was always being asked "ive got x amount will you get me a car?" and they were generally happy with what he got sight unseen and would often come back to him for the next car. So i think he's advice is pretty good and not just 'cause I love 'im

hi fellow albertan
i may look for u and husband if i ever get there thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.