Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Who's Looking to move to NS?

Who's Looking to move to NS?

Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Seaside town in Somerset, UK... but hopefully somewhere in NS soon!
FiByTheSeaside is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who's Looking to move to NS?

Originally Posted by Upupandaway
Hi everyone,

My wife and I have a recce booked for September (only 1 week unfortunately) and are planning to visit as much of NS as possible (Halifax , Lunenburg, Wolfville, Truro...) to try and get a feel for where we would want to relocate to as this will be a defining factor in where we will target our job hunting, etc and, ultimately, which route we go down in terms of immigration (TWP, PNP Skilled Worker or CI).

We are only in the early stages of looking at the immigration process and relocating to NS but we have managed to make contact with a few people in NS, notably Mike and Orla at UK2NovaScotia and Corey Pickens (Lunenburg RDA). However, we are really looking to get in touch with people who are at a similar stage to ourselves, or have completed the move fairly recently, so as we can interogate them and compare war stories!! So if there's anyone out there who wants to share their experiences just let me know.

Thanks!!
Hi My DH & I are planning to emigrate to NS with our 2 children (3yrs and 4months) before our ds has to start school. DH has family in Dartmouth (aunt & cousins) but i'm not sure where abouts in NS i'd like to go (also i've heard halifax rda is quite strict?). My DH has travelled around most of NS his family even took him all the way up to Prince Edward Island.

Currently we're trying to sell our flat here in the west country at the moment and plan to come over to NS for an extended holiday/try before we apply CI route as soon as we sell. We've started gathering all the info & docs required for the application just in case we don't want to come back. Can't wait to sell up here and give it a go. If Halifax will support our application I'd be delighted to start the emigration process right now... for all the same reasons you've mentioned

Have you done your recce yet?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Hi

The CI route was great, fairly straight forward and all done within 7 mths

The main thing is that each RDA is very different in the way they interpret everything and what you are required to do.

As an example, prior to our trip, we did not supply anything more than our resume, everything went forward following our recce, other examples are some RDA's will insist on letters of support, other's dont, some will request that you purchase property in the region, others don't, as I say its all open to interpretation and where you actually want to be based etc.

I have some more info if you would like it on things that we did etc, just drop me a pm

Good luck
Hi Nikki, Would you mind sending me some info on what you did & found out too? We're trying to work out whether we have to go CI with Halifax RDA because of DH's family in Dartmouth or whether we might have a better/more successful chance of CI in one of the other RDA's? I'll PM you if that's ok?
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Who's Looking to move to NS?

Originally Posted by FiByTheSeaside
Hi Nikki, Would you mind sending me some info on what you did & found out too? We're trying to work out whether we have to go CI with Halifax RDA because of DH's family in Dartmouth or whether we might have a better/more successful chance of CI in one of the other RDA's? I'll PM you if that's ok?
Hi, if you're interested in meeting a couple of RDA's there are 2 represented at the Emigrate Show next weekend at Coventry. Margot from CoRDA will be there (she has assisted a fair few folk on here with the NS PNP) and there's also the RDA there from Hants County (I think!!!). It might be worth having a chat with them.....
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Upupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really niceUpupandaway is just really nice

Hi My DH & I are planning to emigrate to NS with our 2 children (3yrs and 4months) before our ds has to start school. DH has family in Dartmouth (aunt & cousins) but i'm not sure where abouts in NS i'd like to go (also i've heard halifax rda is quite strict?). My DH has travelled around most of NS his family even took him all the way up to Prince Edward Island.

Currently we're trying to sell our flat here in the west country at the moment and plan to come over to NS for an extended holiday/try before we apply CI route as soon as we sell. We've started gathering all the info & docs required for the application just in case we don't want to come back. Can't wait to sell up here and give it a go. If Halifax will support our application I'd be delighted to start the emigration process right now... for all the same reasons you've mentioned

Have you done your recce yet?

Hi there,

We got back from our recce on Sunday. Exhausted after all the driving I did (almost 1000 miles in a week!) but at least we got to see a lot of NS.

We had never been to NS before but after researching a lot on it we thought it would be a place we would want to live. To be honest, it didn't live up to our expectations. Don't get me wrong, its a lovely place, very picturesque, friendly people, etc but it just doesn't fit the bill for us. I would say though, that I can see a lot of the qualities that some people are looking for and why it would suit couples of an older generation (i'm 30 and my wife is 28) and younger couples with kids. It is definitely a much better environment to bring up children than the UK.

I think the key thing for us is that we didn't get the 'wow' factor and an immediate feeling that it was the place we wanted to be. Coming from a bigger city (i grew up in Glasgow) part of me still craves the big city living and that is something that Halifax and, indeed, NS just doesn't offer.

There are a lot of other reasons but I'm not going to list them all here. My advice would be, go for a visit and you will know in your heart if it's where you want to be. It wasn't for us but that doesn't mean it's not the best place on earth for others!!

Best of luck and if you want any other info just drop me a PM.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 5:43 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiba
Hi, if you're interested in meeting a couple of RDA's there are 2 represented at the Emigrate Show next weekend at Coventry. Margot from CoRDA will be there (she has assisted a fair few folk on here with the NS PNP) and there's also the RDA there from Hants County (I think!!!). It might be worth having a chat with them.....
I am also now going to be exhibiting at the Coventry Emigrate show this weekend if anyone wants advice on PNPs - especially the CI Stream
Old Oct 1st 2009, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

jakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nice

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
I am also now going to be exhibiting at the Coventry Emigrate show this weekend if anyone wants advice on PNPs - especially the CI Stream
See u there Paul
Old Oct 1st 2009, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Lisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond reputeLisa1910 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

We're currently exploring our options, and NS has been suggested to us. It wasn't particularly somewhere we'd considered before. OH is a programmer / web developer and we've been focussing on BC or Toronto for that reason. Thanks to this website and the amazing amount of info available, however, we've realised that there's much more to Canada than those two places, and it would appear that Halifax might also offer a good chance of employment (TWP whilst applying for PR). Planning a recce within the next couple of months, but grateful if anyone with IT background in NS can give us an idea whether there's much call for IT staff out there (specifically VB programmers).

We left the UK six years ago, and didn't even think about Canada as an option back then, so we took our chances with the Caribbean. However, although we're quite happy with a slow pace of life.... THIS slow is just too slow for us! To be honest, I think anywhere is a faster pace of life than here!! I might miss the sun, but I also miss seasons, and am desperately looking forward to a change of weather-forecast!!

Grateful for any help/advice with regards to job market in NS - please PM me - I don't want to hijack the thread!! Thanks in advance... and you never know - I may well see you 'round!

Cheers!
Lisa.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Ellypop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We go out to 'land' next week although we are not moving out permanently until July (end of school year for our children). We have been out loads over the past 3-4 years (sometimes for month or more at a time) and bought a house early on as a holiday base from which to research NS - house is near Oxford, NS if you want to rent it at any point. We are now going to settle near Amherst in a large house with 3+ acres. Very excited about it all.

We love NS but will undoubtedly miss things about the UK - not the overcrowding, expensive housing, too much traffic! We have visited schools and so on to be sure (boys are at v good private school in UK).

It's been a long 3-4 year application process but that has been good too as we really ahve had chance to think about it fully and research all kinds. Let's hope the reality lives up to expectations.

Ask any qu's, we may be able to help.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ellypop
Hi

We go out to 'land' next week although we are not moving out permanently until July (end of school year for our children). We have been out loads over the past 3-4 years (sometimes for month or more at a time) and bought a house early on as a holiday base from which to research NS - house is near Oxford, NS if you want to rent it at any point. We are now going to settle near Amherst in a large house with 3+ acres. Very excited about it all.

We love NS but will undoubtedly miss things about the UK - not the overcrowding, expensive housing, too much traffic! We have visited schools and so on to be sure (boys are at v good private school in UK).

It's been a long 3-4 year application process but that has been good too as we really ahve had chance to think about it fully and research all kinds. Let's hope the reality lives up to expectations.

wow! how exciting.. so this time next year the dc's will be settling into their new schools and you'll be wondering what your first NS christmas weather will be like
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Live near Amherst so if you fancy a chat etc let me know (we have 18 acres and it's great)
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

wow! how exciting.. so this time next year the dc's will be settling into their new schools and you'll be wondering what your first NS christmas weather will be like
Anything like last year snow on Christmas morning was lovely and topped off with a great dinner with friends at their house
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Live near Amherst so if you fancy a chat etc let me know (we have 18 acres and it's great)
It would be nice to know someone near Amherst. Do you have children at school? That's our big issue, making sure they are settled and take the opportunity to do lots of different activities. Hubby will be looking for work but my work is mainly web based so is fairly portable. We will no doubt have loads of questions in between now and July. Do you have any views on whether Moncton is the best 'local' bet for work?

Also, how long does the actual landing process at the airport take - bearing in mind we have no 'goods to follow' this time as our shipping is next June. We have not told the boys yet, plan to tell them on Weds when we go and see the new house!
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 5:56 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

It would be nice to know someone near Amherst. Do you have children at school? That's our big issue, making sure they are settled and take the opportunity to do lots of different activities. Hubby will be looking for work but my work is mainly web based so is fairly portable. We will no doubt have loads of questions in between now and July. Do you have any views on whether Moncton is the best 'local' bet for work?

Also, how long does the actual landing process at the airport take - bearing in mind we have no 'goods to follow' this time as our shipping is next June. We have not told the boys yet, plan to tell them on Weds when we go and see the new house!
Hi Ellypop,

Welcome to BE. We landed in NS in August but are not moving over permanently until May, the landing process went smoothly. You will still need to provide a goods to follow list when you land even if you are returning to the UK. It doesn't matter whether you are coming back within a week or 2 years, you still have to show goods to follow at landing.

Good luck.

Karen
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kazbob
Hi Ellypop,

Welcome to BE. We landed in NS in August but are not moving over permanently until May, the landing process went smoothly. You will still need to provide a goods to follow list when you land even if you are returning to the UK. It doesn't matter whether you are coming back within a week or 2 years, you still have to show goods to follow at landing.

Good luck.

Karen
OH NO!!!

I was worried that might be the case. Our emigr consultant (4 Corners) has gone bust recently so I had no one to check with. What do we have to do on the 'Goods to follow' list bearing in mind nothing is packed or itemised yet and won't be till next May. Can we list all the main items now and provide a more detailed list when my husband comes out to meet the shipping container next June.

Any advice?
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't have kids but one of my neighbours have 3 in school so any questions I am sure she can help. I know many work or commute to Moncton but dh works from home and I am not working so can't say what it is like but takes approx 30 mins to drive there from Amherst. Feel free to pm me and we can swap phone numbers if you want

For goods I would suggest you list everything even if you don't bring it as you can't up change after you have landed. Check wiki out as I am sure that will tell more

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.