Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Who will insure once MSP expires?

Who will insure once MSP expires?

Old Dec 24th 2011, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

kezza708 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who will insure once MSP expires?

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know of any Travel Insurers who will cover me for two weeks in Canada then 2 weeks in US once my MSP runs out?

I am hopefully leaving Vancouver in March and am planning to leave my workplace in the middle of march. Upon leaving my benefits stop including health and extended health.

The last two weeks in march I will pack things up to ship and then fly over to US for a couple of weeks to see my family.

To complicate things I am also pregnant so I need to ensure that I am covered for those two weeks in Canada and then in US to. I was going to see if I could just get a UK yearly worldwide policy as I will be living there eventually again but I am not sure they insure if you actually start your trip in Canada.

Can anyone help at all?

Thanks x
Old Dec 24th 2011, 5:14 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who will insure once MSP expires?

Originally Posted by kezza708
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know of any Travel Insurers who will cover me for two weeks in Canada then 2 weeks in US once my MSP runs out?

I am hopefully leaving Vancouver in March and am planning to leave my workplace in the middle of march. Upon leaving my benefits stop including health and extended health.

The last two weeks in march I will pack things up to ship and then fly over to US for a couple of weeks to see my family.

To complicate things I am also pregnant so I need to ensure that I am covered for those two weeks in Canada and then in US to. I was going to see if I could just get a UK yearly worldwide policy as I will be living there eventually again but I am not sure they insure if you actually start your trip in Canada.

Can anyone help at all?

Thanks x
You should call MSP and go and see an insurance broker and get advice there. Extended healthcare requires MSP coverage. MSP is nowhere near enough for travel the US anyway and adding a travel policy or extended health is better. A travel policy also requires MSP coverage.

MSP is not employment dependant, so long as you live in Canada and pay your premiums you should be covered.