Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Who lives in Fall River NS - What's it like?

Who lives in Fall River NS - What's it like?

Old May 20th 2010, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

bicyclebob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who lives in Fall River NS - What's it like?

Hi all - first post from me, tho my OH has been busy on this board for a while....
We are landing in Halifax on the 31st and we will be looking for a house in Fall River. We have been MLS-ing and Google Earth-ing the dozen or so houses in our price range, but could do with some opinions from people who are there.
There seems to be four or five sub-divisions in the area - does anyone have an opinion on which area is best for a family with two kids (14 and 7)? We'd like the kids to be able to meet new friends close by if possible.
Schools: We visited Lock View High, Ash Lee Jefferson Elementary and Holland Road Elementary on our Recce and were impressed by all three. Has anyone got experience of either elementary school?
All opinions, views, rumours and unsupported hearsay (From Halifax residents) welcome!
Old May 20th 2010, 11:18 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who lives in Fall River NS - What's it like?

There are quite a few BE'ers who live in Fall River so I am sure they will appear soon to answer any questions you have!
Old May 20th 2010, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
We live in Fall River, but we are leaving for Toronto soon. Hopefully one of the houses on your list is ours, and you buy it
It's great for kids here, and we have a street full of them (ages 0 to high school). Neighbours all say good stuff about Ash Lee / Vanier / Lockview.
Fall River is a simple 25 mins (in rush hour) to downtown Halifax. That's a lot quicker than the seemingly nearer Bedford etc.
Hope you find what you want and settle in.
Cheers
Tuppence
Old May 21st 2010, 1:11 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Full of Brits.
Old May 21st 2010, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tangram
Full of Brits.
just out of interest - does it have to be Fall River? curious because we ended up buying a house in an area I'd previously ruled out and are really happy....never say never!
Old May 21st 2010, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Merry
just out of interest - does it have to be Fall River? curious because we ended up buying a house in an area I'd previously ruled out and are really happy....never say never!
It does not 'have' to be Fall River, however, after checking out many areas, it just appealed to us the most. We also have friends moving there soon, which helps too!
Old May 21st 2010, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tuppence
Hello,
We live in Fall River, but we are leaving for Toronto soon. Hopefully one of the houses on your list is ours, and you buy it
It's great for kids here, and we have a street full of them (ages 0 to high school). Neighbours all say good stuff about Ash Lee / Vanier / Lockview.
Fall River is a simple 25 mins (in rush hour) to downtown Halifax. That's a lot quicker than the seemingly nearer Bedford etc.
Hope you find what you want and settle in.
Cheers
Tuppence
Ha ha... which house is yours?? I bet we have looked at it!!
Old May 21st 2010, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

I would echo the post about lots of Brits but you can see why - most properties have quite a bit of land and you're within easy reach of Halifax. OH works in Fall River and the people seem very friendly.
Old May 21st 2010, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Scotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really niceScotty boy is just really nice

Fall River is great friendly people and a half hour to Halifax in the morning as the other person says only thing is there isnt a bus service but the feel of the place and the schools are fantastic.
Old May 22nd 2010, 2:50 am
Since 010205

l i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nice

We've lived in Fall River for the past 2.5 years. We love it here

We are in Fall River Village. All of the sub divisions have different attractions. One thing I would say to be mindful of is that Fall River as a whole sits alongside highway 102 so check that any property does not back on to it! Not as strange as it sounds as the plots are usually 1-2 acres so a highway can be hiding back there! Google Maps is your friend.

OH works in Dartmouth which is approx 20 min drive. 20-25 mins to downtown Halifax.

Good size plots, leafy, quiet. Lots of dog walking, kids out on bikes etc.

I hear there are plenty of Brits but I don't seem to bump into any. Have a few British friends who arrived the same time as us but that's about it.

Loads for kids to do, my son is signed up for soccer, baseball, swimming, this summer - all local in Fall River or Sackville.

No kids in school yet but from what I know from friends all the Fall River catchment schools have great reputations.

Here are a few sites you might like to look at:
www.district2news.com
www.hrsb.ns.ca
www.hrmparent.ca
www.thestadium.ca
www.halifax.ca/rec

Happy landing on the 31st.

Last edited by l i s a; May 22nd 2010 at 2:59 am.
Old May 22nd 2010, 7:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by l i s a
We've lived in Fall River for the past 2.5 years. We love it here

We are in Fall River Village. All of the sub divisions have different attractions. One thing I would say to be mindful of is that Fall River as a whole sits alongside highway 102 so check that any property does not back on to it! Not as strange as it sounds as the plots are usually 1-2 acres so a highway can be hiding back there! Google Maps is your friend.

OH works in Dartmouth which is approx 20 min drive. 20-25 mins to downtown Halifax.

Good size plots, leafy, quiet. Lots of dog walking, kids out on bikes etc.

I hear there are plenty of Brits but I don't seem to bump into any. Have a few British friends who arrived the same time as us but that's about it.

Loads for kids to do, my son is signed up for soccer, baseball, swimming, this summer - all local in Fall River or Sackville.

No kids in school yet but from what I know from friends all the Fall River catchment schools have great reputations.

Here are a few sites you might like to look at:
www.district2news.com
www.hrsb.ns.ca
www.hrmparent.ca
www.thestadium.ca
www.halifax.ca/rec

Happy landing on the 31st.
Thanks for that information Lisa, the links are great. Looks good!!
Old May 22nd 2010, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Scotty boy
Fall River is great friendly people and a half hour to Halifax in the morning as the other person says only thing is there isnt a bus service but the feel of the place and the schools are fantastic.
We too just 'liked the feel of it' Whereabouts in edinburgh did you live?? We are also moving from edinburgh??

Last edited by bicyclebob; May 22nd 2010 at 7:45 pm.
Old May 23rd 2010, 10:56 am
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bicyclebob
Hi all - first post from me, tho my OH has been busy on this board for a while....
We are landing in Halifax on the 31st and we will be looking for a house in Fall River. We have been MLS-ing and Google Earth-ing the dozen or so houses in our price range, but could do with some opinions from people who are there.
There seems to be four or five sub-divisions in the area - does anyone have an opinion on which area is best for a family with two kids (14 and 7)? We'd like the kids to be able to meet new friends close by if possible.
Schools: We visited Lock View High, Ash Lee Jefferson Elementary and Holland Road Elementary on our Recce and were impressed by all three. Has anyone got experience of either elementary school?
All opinions, views, rumours and unsupported hearsay (From Halifax residents) welcome!
We live in Wellington, just 5 mins up from Fall River and find it a fantastic area to live, close to highway, airport and from what I hear, all the schools have a good reputation.
In summertime it has a real holiday feel to it.
I'd be very surprised if the percentage of "Brits" here was as much as 3%.
You'll occasionally here a Brit accent or two when you're out and about.....but that's Canada as a whole.
My only gripe is, there's no public transport at all....but we knew that before we came.
We looked at loads of nice areas around Halifax, but kept being drawn back here.
Good luck
Old May 24th 2010, 4:27 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
There are quite a few BE'ers who live in Fall River so I am sure they will appear soon to answer any questions you have!
I wanted to live in Canada which is why I wont move to Fall River. Lovely place though.
Old May 24th 2010, 4:28 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tangram
Full of Brits.
yup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.