Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Who is holidaying in Nova Scotia???

Who is holidaying in Nova Scotia???

Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Who is holidaying in Nova Scotia???

I spent 6 years in Halifax in the hotel trade, and took and active part in Tourism NS board.

I was forced to relocate following redundancy, brought on in the main, by the huge downturn in tourists to NS, and the incredibly poor performance of all hospitality sectors, following the government cut backs on travel spending and private sector travel spending cuts. On talking to my colleagues still there they are reporting a further down turn in year on year business levels.

B&B's, outside of HRM, still do well throughout the 3-4 month summer period, but close throughout the rest of the year. Remember NS pretty much shuts down between September- May, as far a tourist spots go, so the 3-4 month period is crucial, then shut up shop and hope that you have earnt enough to see you through the remaining 2/3's of the year & collect benefits.

Just my 2 cents worth, for what its worth.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Hmmm NS. Who is the market there? I'm guessing it's the east coast of the US - Maine, NY, etc. It's too bad the US isn't doing so well right now.

I don't know anyone who holidays in NS from the west side of Canada unless they come from there/have family there, it's freaking expensive and a long flight for weather that's notsogreat. Most people here go to Hawaii, Mexico, Cali, Oregon, Vegas or Arizona.
I agree with you. If you have family there I see it but I can't imagine its much of a draw for holidays.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 9:45 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dormy
I spent 6 years in Halifax in the hotel trade, and took and active part in Tourism NS board.

I was forced to relocate following redundancy, brought on in the main, by the huge downturn in tourists to NS, and the incredibly poor performance of all hospitality sectors, following the government cut backs on travel spending and private sector travel spending cuts. On talking to my colleagues still there they are reporting a further down turn in year on year business levels.

B&B's, outside of HRM, still do well throughout the 3-4 month summer period, but close throughout the rest of the year. Remember NS pretty much shuts down between September- May, as far a tourist spots go, so the 3-4 month period is crucial, then shut up shop and hope that you have earnt enough to see you through the remaining 2/3's of the year & collect benefits.

Just my 2 cents worth, for what its worth.
there ya go...from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Except the Feds are cracking down on EI so who knows if that loophole will be available in the future.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Here's one such example: http://www.troutpoint.com/
That's about 20 mins from me
Old Jul 24th 2012, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

MajesticMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

So in summary to my question, Nobody's visiting NS apart from the people that are. Americans can't afford to holiday apart from the ones that can. It seems the best time to holiday is in the summer unless you play hockey then the winter is just perfect. Hotels have tumbleweed blowing through them unless you have a catchy website and why didn't I visit Cape Bretton...

Forums....you gotta love em
Old Jul 24th 2012, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I live right down in the south, not the South Shore...

I wouldn't want to rely on tourists to pay my bills to be honest.

We're all hoping that the ferry comes back to Yarmouth and we'll know next month sometime if it's going to happen or not. If it does come back there will be more tourists so maybe it is then viable...otherwise it would be a gamble in my opinion.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MajesticMajor
So in summary to my question, Nobody's visiting NS apart from the people that are. Americans can't afford to holiday apart from the ones that can. It seems the best time to holiday is in the summer unless you play hockey then the winter is just perfect. Hotels have tumbleweed blowing through them unless you have a catchy website and why didn't I visit Cape Bretton...

You summed that up very well! lol
Old Jul 24th 2012, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

We didn't visit the south and only concentrated on the centre. I took a look at Troutpoint, they seem very pricey but looks great.

Would that be the ferry to Boston? Cos' that is a useful piece of information. I was expecting replies mentioning the exchange rate causing people to stay away. When we were last there we were getting $2.34 to the pound and now it's around $1.50 and this has defiantly put us off the last few years. That and Zoom going bust, the flights seem to be a fortune at the moment.

Maybe I should retrain in IT like the rest of the world, this industry seems to be on it's uppers...not
Old Jul 24th 2012, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

We didn't visit the south and only concentrated on the centre. I took a look at Troutpoint, they seem very pricey but looks great.

Would that be the ferry to Boston? Cos' that is a useful piece of information. I was expecting replies mentioning the exchange rate causing people to stay away. When we were last there we were getting $2.34 to the pound and now it's around $1.50 and this has defiantly put us off the last few years. That and Zoom going bust, the flights seem to be a fortune at the moment.

Maybe I should retrain in IT like the rest of the world, this industry seems to be on it's uppers...not
Portland, ME or Bar Harbor, ME not sure where it would go. It's really had an impact on the province and the Premier had a panel of experts review it in June. They are due to present their findings sometime in August so fingers crossed we get a ferry back. Yarmouth needs it. Not only because it would bring money to this end of the province but also psychologically as currently Yarmothians feel forgotten by the rest of the province currently.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 12:20 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Hotels in NS most definitely have tumbleweeds blowing through for at least 7 months of the year .You need to factor this into your plans. Maybe not Cape Breton, our saving grace, you may get an extra month out of that region.

Don't hold your breath regarding the ferry to maine. Bloody cash cow when it was operating.

Lastly, You need to understand were NS fits in with the rest of Canada. Whilst chatting over a beer with Someone from a different province he explained to me why he had always believed Nova Scotia to be the arsehole of Canada. I couldn't fault the logic that he used to come by his hypothesis.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:52 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
Hotels in NS most definitely have tumbleweeds blowing through for at least 7 months of the year .You need to factor this into your plans. Maybe not Cape Breton, our saving grace, you may get an extra month out of that region.

Don't hold your breath regarding the ferry to maine. Bloody cash cow when it was operating.

Lastly, You need to understand were NS fits in with the rest of Canada. Whilst chatting over a beer with Someone from a different province he explained to me why he had always believed Nova Scotia to be the arsehole of Canada. I couldn't fault the logic that he used to come by his hypothesis.
haha
Old Jul 25th 2012, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger

But MajesticMajor knows all about it cos they've lived in NS for years and has a balanced opinion, so they don't need to hear from someone who has been through it

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tuppence
But MajesticMajor knows all about it cos they've lived in NS for years and has a balanced opinion, so they don't need to hear from someone who has been through it

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
What?
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:02 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

What?
You might want to read through your replies to those who live there and experienced the levels of tourism, and the few who are/have been in the Tourism industry.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
You might want to read through your replies to those who live there and experienced the levels of tourism, and the few who are/have been in the Tourism industry.
Asking questions is not the same as making judgements

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.