Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Who hates BUNAC and who loves BUNAC?

Who hates BUNAC and who loves BUNAC?

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

BetMiddler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who hates BUNAC and who loves BUNAC?

From what ive gathered people who use BUNAC to get to canada to emigrate hate them and all student types like myself love them.

Im planning on using BUNAC to do a years work in canada. im planning on heading out there in oct/nov time just befor the ski season.

So heres the questions:
For student types is it worth using BUNAC or would my money be better spent on living out there? (the £200 joining fee is a little steep)

for those who have done ski seasons there, where did you go? i would really like to go to whistla but heard its so busy that it isnt a pleasant place to work.

cheers all
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

deeb81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who hates BUNAC and who loves BUNAC?

Well I'm heading over in September on BUNAC so at the moment I love it

I've not heard anything negative about BUNAC specifically so cant comment on what other people have said.

I'm using it as a tool to get into Canada so am going to think positively. Its up to me (and you! ) to make the best of it after all and get what we want out of it!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BetMiddler
From what ive gathered people who use BUNAC to get to canada to emigrate hate them and all student types like myself love them.

Im planning on using BUNAC to do a years work in canada. im planning on heading out there in oct/nov time just befor the ski season.

So heres the questions:
For student types is it worth using BUNAC or would my money be better spent on living out there? (the £200 joining fee is a little steep)

for those who have done ski seasons there, where did you go? i would really like to go to whistla but heard its so busy that it isnt a pleasant place to work.

cheers all
What exactly are you referring to? You mention 'them' but what is 'them' i.e. 'all student types like myself love them'?

And if you don't go via Bunac, then how do you plan to spend a year working in Canada? I'm obviously missing some information but am very confused by your post!!

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:51 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

I came on BUNAC at the end of 2006 and just got my PR last month.
If it wasn't for them I would not be here now- and if someone's PR plan doesn't work out it is certainly nothing to do with them.

So yeah: "love" them I suppose.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:00 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

I don't hate or love BUNAC but have found them really useful as I have had 2 Canadian and 1 US working visa through them. They certainly streamline the process and when coming for the first time the little things they do are helpful.

It's only when you come back through them and are really just using them for the paperwork that the extra costs they tack on become a little frustrating, i.e. insurance and having to attend orientations for things you already know.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Loved it, easiest work visa you will ever get, don't pass it by!

As someone posted above, what you do with it once you're here is entirely up to you!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

is it possible to get a years working visa without going through Bunac? i thought it was.

what jobs did people enjoy the most? ive got experience in the kitchen and on the bar so probly go for 1 of those 2 types. really want to be able to ski alot so shift work is probly the best option? what are your experiences?
cheers
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

halftheworldaway is an unknown quantity at this point

is it possible to get a years working visa without going through Bunac? i thought it was.

what jobs did people enjoy the most? ive got experience in the kitchen and on the bar so probly go for 1 of those 2 types. really want to be able to ski alot so shift work is probly the best option? what are your experiences?
cheers
As far as I know BUNAC is the only way for you to get a 1 year open work permit.

You can get other work permits but they are dependant on job offers.

Make the most of it as others have said it's the easiest kind of work permit to get for Canada (numbers are limited so don't leave it too late).
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

well guess im just gonna have to get down to it and start the long saving haul.
cheers for all the info people
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Rodge9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hobbess
It's only when you come back through them and are really just using them for the paperwork that the extra costs they tack on become a little frustrating, i.e. insurance and having to attend orientations for things you already know.
Exactly, for Visa #2, which I'm about to apply for (already signed up, with the associated £200 fee), I don't need them to do anything for me as I know what I'm doing this time. However since it's the only way I don't have a choice - the CIC website essentially says 'visit BUNAC'. I'll certainly be sorting out my own flights and insurance though. They also seem to skim read my e-mails when I've had a specific inquiry and send me back a poorly thought-out reply.

So as regards the question in the title, I'd say I love the opportunity the WHP Visas allow but BUNAC themselves are nowhere near competent or helpful enough for the amount they charge.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

well guess im just gonna have to get down to it and start the long saving haul.
cheers for all the info people
Yep, it's got to be Bunac. And as somebody else said, visas are limited so don't wait too long - last year they ran out in April so if they do the same this year you've not got long!

£200 is a tiny drop in the ocean compared to how much you'll spend on flights, insurance, accommodation, food, utilities, etc, etc.

Good luck.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

tommo2210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hobbess
I don't hate or love BUNAC but have found them really useful as I have had 2 Canadian and 1 US working visa through them. They certainly streamline the process and when coming for the first time the little things they do are helpful.

I totally agree with this. I came to Vancouver in 2005 through Bunac for a year. I have no returned again through BUNAC. I have not used them at all this time apart from to get the initial visa. For people coming for the 1st time, especially if they are on their own, then I would highly recommend BUNAC.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

I used BUNAC to initially come to Canada..got my PR and then my citizenship. I wouldn't be where I am now without them!
Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodge9
I'll certainly be sorting out my own flights and insurance though. They also seem to skim read my e-mails when I've had a specific inquiry and send me back a poorly thought-out reply.

So as regards the question in the title, I'd say I love the opportunity the WHP Visas allow but BUNAC themselves are nowhere near competent or helpful enough for the amount they charge.
Totally agree.

When I tell "old people PR wannabes" i.e. over 30 about our experience of coming on BUNAC, getting jobs that got us through PNP, then they think it is priceless (could come up with a witty MasterCard line here but can't be bothered). 200 GBP seems like nothing to them.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't worked a season in Canada although we ski a lot and I instruct p/t, but I worked at 2 resorts in France - only small and fairly unheard of, and the other being in the 3Vs.

Whistler is the ski resort that most people think of when you mention skiing in Canada and it is good in terms of being large, but if I were to do a season then I wouldn't choose there. Reasons include:

- big coke problem
- expensive
- "wet snow"
- lots of americans

Also, I know Whistler Blackcomb themselves are not planning on hiring very many people next year due to reduced regular operations during the Olympics.

I would personally go to one of the smaller interior resorts such as:

- Big White
- Silver Star
- Sun Peaks
- Kicking Horse
- Fernie

They are smaller, I prefer the atmosphere, you are more likely to get the famous champagne powder, cheaper, less americans. There is also more opportunity for travel between resorts where as Whistler is further away from other places. Also, most resorts in BC have an agreement where other ski resorts will give you a discount or even freelift tickets, whereas Whistler doesn't participate in this.

Although cost of living is more in Whistler, depending on what job you do there is the flip side that based on the 10-15% tipping standard that you might make more in tips to cover the difference in cost of living.

But then it depends on what you want out of a season and what level of skiier you are. I would personally want to ski hard and travel round to other resorts. But then I know people who have done ski seasons and never even went near the slopes - they were there to party.

If you are wanting people from the UK to come and visit you then Whistler is near and with good connections to Vancouver airport, whereas getting to the smaller resorts is harder, but I think there are now fights from the UK to Kelowna, and also for the resorts further east then you can fly to Calgary.

We came over on BUNAC in 2006. It was a really hard deicison as to whether we should do a one-off ski season or else get "proper jobs" that could lead to us staying on. We chose the later but have been away skiing 3 out of the last 4 weekends!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.