Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Who to complain to about a foreign airline operating to/from Canada?

Who to complain to about a foreign airline operating to/from Canada?

Old Apr 15th 2016, 3:12 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Who to complain to about a foreign airline operating to/from Canada?

Hey everyone. Can someone tell me who regulates the foreign airlines that operate to and from Canada or monitor passenger incidents that happen due to airline's negligence or bad customer service. The incident happened outside Canada on the return part of the journey but the ticket was bought inside Canada from that airline. The airline itself can't be trusted to resolve the passenger's grievance hence an escalation is required.

Thank you.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 3:46 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Who to complain to about a foreign airline operating to/from Canada?

You could try the "Complaint Wizard" on Transport Canada's website to see if they can help you.

https://services.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/air-complaints
Old Apr 15th 2016, 7:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who to complain to about a foreign airline operating to/from Canada?

http://www.airpassengerrights.eu/en/...-complain.html (with links to national bodies)

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 15th 2016 at 7:23 am.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 3:30 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you guys
Old Apr 19th 2016, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
The airline itself can't be trusted to resolve the passenger's grievance hence an escalation is required.

Thank you.
In addition to the advice already given, I'd say don't be so sure.

I had a problem with an (Euro-based) airline which was speedily resolved to my satisfaction by going straight to its HQ when customer service couldn't help.

It might depend on what exactly the problem is.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 11:20 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shirtback
In addition to the advice already given, I'd say don't be so sure.

I had a problem with an (Euro-based) airline which was speedily resolved to my satisfaction by going straight to its HQ when customer service couldn't help.

It might depend on what exactly the problem is.
A complaint has been made to the airline's customer service through their online system and all they have done so far and after a long delay is to acknowledge the complaint by saying it has been forwarded to the 'relevant department'. They did not say which department or how long will it take to get a response
Old Apr 21st 2016, 11:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
A complaint has been made to the airline's customer service through their online system and all they have done so far and after a long delay is to acknowledge the complaint by saying it has been forwarded to the 'relevant department'. They did not say which department or how long will it take to get a response
I think I'd post a testy note to the internet. "Air France, on their Super Economy Service (or whichever airline/service it was) served me coffee which was tepid." See if the issue catches the imagination of twittterers and Gruaniad columnists and balloons into a worldwide boycott.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Ah. Okay. Sometimes online cs is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

When I was a bit p'ed off with KLM, I did a bit of research (Google), bypassed all the online customer service nonsense, & got on the 'phone to their HQ. I remained polite but firm through the "you need to go through online customer service" drivel & eventually got to Someone Who Had A Clue.

The tweet it all over suggestion might be an option too, if you're getting the customer service runaround; I'm not a Twit/tweeter, so can't personal vouch for this approach.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 1:52 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Air Passenger Rights - How to complain (with links to national bodies)
Hi Sioux. Is this form only for complaints made in the EU or can Canadians use it too?
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 3:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Hi Sioux. Is this form only for complaints made in the EU or can Canadians use it too?
I presume anyone can use it - from this part: "Regulation 261/2004 applies to all flights operated by any airline from any EU airport"