British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   who cold is cold (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/who-cold-cold-249029/)

oceanMDX Aug 17th 2004 9:20 pm

Re: who cold is cold
 

Originally Posted by iaink
You are of course correct as always, but the original statement I was arguing with was "In Ontario - (although some may argue) it's a very "damp" cold"

OK compared to Manitoba, the driest coldest place around, that may be true, but to anyone coming from the UK it seems like a strange statement, as it is by no stretch of the imagination VERY damp. I guess its all a case of "Relative Humidity". Duck / Grin...sorry, couldnt help myself, its a techy joke.

Iain

In the winter, just be sure to be sure to maintain a relatively high relative humidity, or you'll be in for some static - not from me - but from mother nature herself in the form of static electicity. ;)

iaink Aug 17th 2004 9:27 pm

Re: who cold is cold
 

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
In the winter, just be sure to be sure to maintain a relatively high relative humidity, or you'll be in for some static - not from me - but from mother nature herself in the form of static electicity. ;)

Thats a shocker :D:D:D

OK. Lets stop this now.

KimS Aug 17th 2004 9:28 pm

Re: how cold is cold
 

Originally Posted by shriver9
Do you still hear of news / stories of people, who perhaps ignored the Mounties warning, got stuck in a blizzard and were found frozen to death in their cars the next day?

Cheers.

Hi, Shriver9,

I haven't been in Canada for a few years, but I don't recall any specific stories to that effect. I think most people who traditionally die in their cars (whether warned to stay off the roads or not) actually succumb to exhaust fumes after trying to warm themselves by keeping the engine and heater running. I think more cars slide off the road and get stuck in ditches than actually have to stop for being snowbound, so injuries might play a part in cases like that, too.

I think the Mounties chiefly warn us so they don't have to preside over all the prangs that result when cars skid into one another! ;)

oceanMDX Aug 17th 2004 9:45 pm

Re: how cold is cold
 

Originally Posted by KimS
Hi, Shriver9,

I think most people who traditionally die in their cars (whether warned to stay off the roads or not) actually succumb to exhaust fumes after trying to warm themselves by keeping the engine and heater running. I think more cars slide off the road and get stuck in ditches than actually have to stop for being snowbound, so injuries might play a part in cases like that, too.

;)

Often the reason they die from exhaust fumes (CO in the fumes actually), is because they have leaks in the exhaust system of the vehicle. It's a good idea to get this checked at a muffler place late in the autumn, so the same doesn't happen to you in the winter.

It's even more important to get the heat exchanger on your furnace checked for holes, leaks or any damage before winter. That's probably a more common way to die in Canada from CO (carbon monoxide) poisoning. My sister's neighbors nearly died from CO poisoning because the heat exchanger on their furnace was corroded.

willmore Aug 17th 2004 10:43 pm

Re: who cold is cold
 
You two are unbelievable!!! You must both be engineers!!!!. I think you should both become marine biologists like myself where you can be less logical and sensible!!!!!

But just remember that the original statement was made comparing Manitoba to Ontario NOT to the UK!!!!!!! which is like comparing apples to oranges instead of apples to nectarines!!!!

Sorry....very bad joke.....just finished an all-nighter and I'm a bit crazed!!!!


Originally Posted by iaink
Thats a shocker :D:D:D

OK. Lets stop this now.


oceanMDX Aug 17th 2004 11:01 pm

Re: who cold is cold
 
Since you're into biology, when will Okanagan nectarines and apples be in season around here? Better be before I go back to Mexico in about 3 weeks.

willmore Aug 17th 2004 11:18 pm

Re: who cold is cold
 
We got some nectarines and cherries from the Okanagan through a friend who just came back from a camping trip there - absolutely delicious

This was at least a week ago...... we didn't get any apples....and the ones you buy in the store are still terrible......but we have picked a few from our tree already - really good.

By the way, in case you don't know.....a marine biologist's field really isn't the ripening time of Okanagan fruit!!!!! I'm into the marine plant and organisms (tidal pools are my thing)....I know!!!! not as interesting as being a engineer.....


Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Since you're into biology, when will Okanagan nectarines and apples be in season around here? Better be before I go back to Mexico in about 3 weeks.


thornhill Aug 18th 2004 1:59 am

Re: who cold is cold
 

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
In the winter, just be sure to be sure to maintain a relatively high relative humidity, or you'll be in for some static - not from me - but from mother nature herself in the form of static electicity. ;)

Moisture in the house or even worse trapped between the vapour barriers in wall/ceiling system can be a disaster for the framing.

saying this actually feeling the dampness in the cold air is a way worse (to me) than the -40 -50 and bone dry temps of the arctic, that I could stand.
I flew from the North to Glasgow via Calgary in late January I was working at Coppermine arrived in Glasgow to 2 celcius and a wind .I was Frozen, I never felt like I was warm on the whole trip untill a cousin arrived home from a fishing trip off Iceland and the Banks . he gave me a new wool sweater and longs to wear,I swear I was still Frozen couple of days later we had sub -5 days and clear ,I felt warmer. All in the head?? who knows ,no doubt some of you boffins will have the thery

oceanMDX Aug 18th 2004 2:11 am

Re: who cold is cold
 

Originally Posted by thornhill
Moisture in the house or even worse trapped between the vapour barriers in wall/ceiling system can be a disaster for the framing.

saying this actually feeling the dampness in the cold air is a way worse (to me) than the -40 -50 and bone dry temps of the arctic, that I could stand.
I flew from the North to Glasgow via Calgary in late January I was working at Coppermine arrived in Glasgow to 2 celcius and a wind .I was Frozen, I never felt like I was warm on the whole trip untill a cousin arrived home from a fishing trip off Iceland and the Banks . he gave me a new wool sweater and longs to wear,I swear I was still Frozen couple of days later we had sub -5 days and clear ,I felt warmer. All in the head?? who knows ,no doubt some of you boffins will have the thery

The circumstances during the winter in your location in Port Coquitlam is very different than in Ontario, or the Canadian prairies. Where you are the constant winter dampness can lead to internal rot if the home is not properly protected against it. Remember the "leaky condo" fiasco in BC? I refuse to store my motor home outdoors in the lower mainland of BC due to the dampness problem. Storing it in Merritt (much drier) poses no such problem. In most other parts of the country, just don't humidify to the point where the moisture condenses on the windows and rot should not be a self-inflicted problem.

willmore Aug 18th 2004 2:21 am

Re: who cold is cold
 
Forgot to add.....you're not planning to take the fruit back to Mexico with you are you? How do you plan to get it through the States? I went to the UK in the spring and threw an apple/banana in my knapsnack - the "sniffing dog at customs in Seattle found them immediately and I was taken aside and my precious "fruit" was taken away after being thoroughly searched (you know how shifty these Canadians can be)!!!!


Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Since you're into biology, when will Okanagan nectarines and apples be in season around here? Better be before I go back to Mexico in about 3 weeks.


thornhill Aug 18th 2004 2:25 am

Re: who cold is cold
 

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
The circumstances during the winter in your location in Port Coquitlam is very different than in Ontario, or the Canadian prairies. Where you are the constant winter dampness can lead to internal rot if the home is not properly protected against it. Remember the "leaky condo" fiasco in BC? I refuse to store my motor home outdoors in the lower mainland of BC due to the dampness problem. Storing it in Merritt (much drier) poses no such problem. In most other parts of the country, just don't humidify to the point where the moisture condenses on the windows and rot should not be a self-inflicted problem.

I remember the leaky codo's alright
I worked on them for several years.part of that problem was when CMHC designed the spec's for vapour barrior, the used prarie data for moisture within houses in winter . hence you will often notice the oldtime house without vapour barriers other than oil painted plaster and non vinyl(rock dash) stucco may be drafty but dry ,and should they get wet they can then dry out as the humidity drops during summer .The opposit of southern Ontario and the Eastern States.

oceanMDX Aug 18th 2004 3:38 am

Re: who cold is cold
 

Originally Posted by willmore
Forgot to add.....you're not planning to take the fruit back to Mexico with you are you? How do you plan to get it through the States? I went to the UK in the spring and threw an apple/banana in my knapsnack - the "sniffing dog at customs in Seattle found them immediately and I was taken aside and my precious "fruit" was taken away after being thoroughly searched (you know how shifty these Canadians can be)!!!!

There is no way I would even think of taking fruit into the US.

Grah Aug 18th 2004 4:34 pm

Re: who cold is cold
 

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
There is no way I would even think of taking fruit into the US.

A friend of mine got stop, searched and given a whole lecture on the Dangers of importing fruit into the USA. How all fruit from outside the USA was like a ecologic terrorist, ready to destroy their harvest. Didn't even help that the Apple had been imported into Canada from the US in the first place.

Back to the original question

How cold is it? go to a local Super store and ask to go into their Deep freezer it will be about -25c. Most off the middle of Canada will get to -30c and east edges imagine the Worst english weather would a mild stormy day.

West Coast gets English weather but 50cm+ more rain in each storm.

As for Dry or damp weather try making a Snowball if you succeed its damp if it doesn't you're in Winnipeg. Snow is like sand, the roads get packed so solid that we get to drive on 5"-10" for most of the winter on our bay. No Kerb to bump up to get into the garage.

October to May the snow that fall is 90% still around, there is no melt & resnow its snows before May it will still be here in May.

They create the largest snow hills here and in '98 it didn't all melt until Septemeber.

in 5 years touch wood haven't had to create a snow pile bigger than 3' along the drive all winter. unlike these people http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/thepon/winter_2001.htm

20' in one season :scared:

Corky Aug 18th 2004 6:09 pm

Re: who cold is cold
 
One thing about the cold weather is..........no bugs!! nothing to take pieces out of your flesh. They are all hibernating waiting to catch you the next summer!!

willmore Aug 18th 2004 7:37 pm

Re: who cold is cold
 
You must be living in Winnipeg to know the difference between the snow in Onario/Manitoba -

Your message is really funny!!!!


Originally Posted by Grah
A friend of mine got stop, searched and given a whole lecture on the Dangers of importing fruit into the USA. How all fruit from outside the USA was like a ecologic terrorist, ready to destroy their harvest. Didn't even help that the Apple had been imported into Canada from the US in the first place.

Back to the original question

How cold is it? go to a local Super store and ask to go into their Deep freezer it will be about -25c. Most off the middle of Canada will get to -30c and east edges imagine the Worst english weather would a mild stormy day.

West Coast gets English weather but 50cm+ more rain in each storm.

As for Dry or damp weather try making a Snowball if you succeed its damp if it doesn't you're in Winnipeg. Snow is like sand, the roads get packed so solid that we get to drive on 5"-10" for most of the winter on our bay. No Kerb to bump up to get into the garage.

October to May the snow that fall is 90% still around, there is no melt & resnow its snows before May it will still be here in May.

They create the largest snow hills here and in '98 it didn't all melt until Septemeber.

in 5 years touch wood haven't had to create a snow pile bigger than 3' along the drive all winter. unlike these people http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/thepon/winter_2001.htm

20' in one season :scared:



All times are GMT. The time now is 4:24 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.