British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   who cold is cold (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/who-cold-cold-249029/)

thornhill Aug 18th 2004 1:25 am

Re: who cold is cold

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
The circumstances during the winter in your location in Port Coquitlam is very different than in Ontario, or the Canadian prairies. Where you are the constant winter dampness can lead to internal rot if the home is not properly protected against it. Remember the "leaky condo" fiasco in BC? I refuse to store my motor home outdoors in the lower mainland of BC due to the dampness problem. Storing it in Merritt (much drier) poses no such problem. In most other parts of the country, just don't humidify to the point where the moisture condenses on the windows and rot should not be a self-inflicted problem.

I remember the leaky codo's alright
I worked on them for several years.part of that problem was when CMHC designed the spec's for vapour barrior, the used prarie data for moisture within houses in winter . hence you will often notice the oldtime house without vapour barriers other than oil painted plaster and non vinyl(rock dash) stucco may be drafty but dry ,and should they get wet they can then dry out as the humidity drops during summer .The opposit of southern Ontario and the Eastern States.

oceanMDX Aug 18th 2004 2:38 am

Originally Posted by willmore
Forgot to add.....you're not planning to take the fruit back to Mexico with you are you? How do you plan to get it through the States? I went to the UK in the spring and threw an apple/banana in my knapsnack - the "sniffing dog at customs in Seattle found them immediately and I was taken aside and my precious "fruit" was taken away after being thoroughly searched (you know how shifty these Canadians can be)!!!!

There is no way I would even think of taking fruit into the US.

Grah Aug 18th 2004 3:34 pm

There is no way I would even think of taking fruit into the US.

A friend of mine got stop, searched and given a whole lecture on the Dangers of importing fruit into the USA. How all fruit from outside the USA was like a ecologic terrorist, ready to destroy their harvest. Didn't even help that the Apple had been imported into Canada from the US in the first place.

Back to the original question

How cold is it? go to a local Super store and ask to go into their Deep freezer it will be about -25c. Most off the middle of Canada will get to -30c and east edges imagine the Worst english weather would a mild stormy day.

West Coast gets English weather but 50cm+ more rain in each storm.

As for Dry or damp weather try making a Snowball if you succeed its damp if it doesn't you're in Winnipeg. Snow is like sand, the roads get packed so solid that we get to drive on 5"-10" for most of the winter on our bay. No Kerb to bump up to get into the garage.

October to May the snow that fall is 90% still around, there is no melt & resnow its snows before May it will still be here in May.

They create the largest snow hills here and in '98 it didn't all melt until Septemeber.

in 5 years touch wood haven't had to create a snow pile bigger than 3' along the drive all winter. unlike these people http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/thepon/winter_2001.htm

20' in one season :scared:

Corky Aug 18th 2004 5:09 pm

One thing about the cold weather is..........no bugs!! nothing to take pieces out of your flesh. They are all hibernating waiting to catch you the next summer!!

willmore Aug 18th 2004 6:37 pm

You must be living in Winnipeg to know the difference between the snow in Onario/Manitoba -

Your message is really funny!!!!

Originally Posted by Grah
A friend of mine got stop, searched and given a whole lecture on the Dangers of importing fruit into the USA. How all fruit from outside the USA was like a ecologic terrorist, ready to destroy their harvest. Didn't even help that the Apple had been imported into Canada from the US in the first place.

Back to the original question

How cold is it? go to a local Super store and ask to go into their Deep freezer it will be about -25c. Most off the middle of Canada will get to -30c and east edges imagine the Worst english weather would a mild stormy day.

West Coast gets English weather but 50cm+ more rain in each storm.

As for Dry or damp weather try making a Snowball if you succeed its damp if it doesn't you're in Winnipeg. Snow is like sand, the roads get packed so solid that we get to drive on 5"-10" for most of the winter on our bay. No Kerb to bump up to get into the garage.

October to May the snow that fall is 90% still around, there is no melt & resnow its snows before May it will still be here in May.

They create the largest snow hills here and in '98 it didn't all melt until Septemeber.

in 5 years touch wood haven't had to create a snow pile bigger than 3' along the drive all winter. unlike these people http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/thepon/winter_2001.htm

20' in one season :scared:

Glaswegian Aug 18th 2004 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Corky
One thing about the cold weather is..........no bugs!! nothing to take pieces out of your flesh. They are all hibernating waiting to catch you the next summer!!

It wouldnt matter if the bugs were up and about - you probably have so little skin showing that the bugs would starve!

Corky Aug 18th 2004 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
It wouldnt matter if the bugs were up and about - you probably have so little skin showing that the bugs would starve!

Gee you are absolutely right. Although I seldom wear a hat and hate to wear a very heavy coat...oh the joys of living in the maritimes.

Grah Aug 18th 2004 9:43 pm

You must be living in Winnipeg to know the difference between the snow in Onario/Manitoba -

Your message is really funny!!!!

I am and thank you. :D

Glaswegian Aug 19th 2004 12:27 am

I prefer the snow in Alberta, I've tried winter in Ontario, it sucks.

willmore Aug 19th 2004 1:17 am

I keep telling you.......different snow in the Prairies than in Ontario - really!!!!!

Glaswegian Aug 19th 2004 1:19 am

I keep telling you.......different snow in the Prairies than in Ontario - really!!!!!

Don't tell me Bud, I've tried both :D

oceanMDX Aug 19th 2004 1:21 am

That's what I think, but the summers in Alberta suck - I prefer the summers in Ontario, but BC is even better.

willmore Aug 19th 2004 1:25 am

Getting a little testy are we? I'm agreeing with you - the snow that you get on the Prairies is great compared to snow in Ontario.

The summer in Ontario are terrible - hot, humid (so much so the sheets are soaked at night), then there are the flies, misquities(?) mmm. and all the terrible pollution coming from the States. Yes, a great place to be in the summer!!!!

That's what I think, but the summers in Alberta suck - I prefer the summers in Ontario, but BC is even better.

oceanMDX Aug 19th 2004 1:28 am

Getting a little testy are we?

What???? :confused:

I enjoyed my summers (in Ontario) at the cottage right next to the lake. The air pollution is minimal where our cottage is located. Often in Alberta, during the summers, I nearly froze my butt off. A week ago I was there, the high was 53 deg F.

Glaswegian Aug 19th 2004 1:30 am

That's what I think, but the summers in Alberta suck.

Eh?? Maybe for winter inhabitants of Mexico!!

For Brits, Alberta is great - it doesn't get too hot or humid like Ontario!!

Alberta is relatively cool and dry in the summer!!

oceanMDX Aug 19th 2004 1:35 am

Eh?? Maybe for winter inhabitants of Mexico!!

For Brits, Alberta is great - it doesn't get too hot or humid like Ontario!!

Alberta is relatively cool and dry in the summer!!

I've seen the summers in Alberta so cool and wet that aphids were everywhere in the hundreds of billions. One summer I don't think that the temp. reached 80 deg F. once. Having to wear a jacket at 2:00 pm in mid-July is too much for me.

Glaswegian Aug 19th 2004 1:38 am

I've seen the summers in Alberta so cool and wet that aphids were everywhere in the hundreds of billions. One summer I don't think that the temp. reached 80 deg F. once.

How many summers have you spent here?

Coming from Glasgow, 80F is pretty good!! If the west of Scotland had 27C for most of the summer, we were happy.

willmore Aug 19th 2004 1:40 am

Sorry - that "testy comment was directed towards the stat's prof.

Well, yes, I admit I enjoyed spending many summers at summer cottages near Parry Sound and it was beautiful - but I was referring to summers in the Waterloo Region.

What???? :confused:

I enjoyed my summers (in Ontario) at the cottage right next to the lake. The air pollution is minimal where our cottage is located. Often in Alberta, during the summers, I nearly froze my butt off. A week ago I was there, the high was 53 deg F.

oceanMDX Aug 19th 2004 1:41 am

Coming from Glasgow, 80F is pretty good!! If the west of Scotland had 27C for most of the summer, we were happy.

I lived 7 years in Edmonton, plus another 8 years in Red Deer. On average the summers were too short and cool for me. I could take the winters, but I didn't care for the summers.

Yes, Ontario does have a problem with air pollution and high humidity, but at least it always got nice and warm - except for the last 2 years.

Glaswegian Aug 19th 2004 1:47 am

Sorry - that "testy comment was directed towards the stat's prof.

No idea what I did to deserve that :cool:

Originally Posted by oceanDMX
On average the summers were too short and cool for me.

All things are relative and depend on your experience - 27C would be bloody warm in Glasgow.
I remember one summer in Leicester it got to 37C for a couple of days - the place pretty much shut down.
Depends on what you're used to - let's not get subjective here :D

oceanMDX Aug 19th 2004 1:55 am

All things are relative and depend on your experience - 27C would be bloody warm in Glasgow.
I remember one summer in Leicester it got to 37C for a couple of days - the place pretty much shut down.

I totally agree. I grew up in southern Ontario, and it normally gets a hell of a lot hotter than Calgary - Edmonton. I can only face a long cold winter if I can count on a nice warm summer, and Alberta really cannot offer that. Lots of ex-pat Brits here, have stated how great the summers have been over the last 3 years (excluding this year). I warned them that the warm weather was associated with Alberta's drought, and that when the drought broke, the weather would be wetter and much cooler. Sure enough I was right - it's been a cool wet summer.

willmore Aug 19th 2004 1:59 am

I'm teasing....I'm teasing"!!!!!!!

Well, than happens in Winnipeg in the summer - the sidewalks (no lie) are so hot one summer my shoes melted, and you couldn't walk on the sidewalks without getting burned - that a regular summer in Winnipeg, along with the black flies, deer flies, etc.

Glaswegian Aug 19th 2004 2:06 am

Sure enough I was right - it's been a cool wet summer.

And a lot warmer and longer than many I experienced in the UK - to be honest, the last couple of summers were a bit too hot. If it wan't for the rain, the summer would have been fine for me!

the sidewalks (no lie) are so hot one summer my shoes melted, and you couldn't walk on the sidewalks without getting burned - that a regular summer in Winnipeg, along with the black flies, deer flies, etc

That's why we didn't move to the prairies :D

Everything is relative - if you come from somewhere cool and damp like most of the UK, southern Alberta is great - not too hot in summer, and funnily enough, not too cold in winter, with REAL snow that you can use for skiing, tobogganing, etc.

thornhill Aug 19th 2004 4:17 am

I agree with Glaswegian, even if it was hot it was humid

theDIV Aug 19th 2004 7:27 am

Hi Guys,
Ive been following this thread with great interest.
I was wondering which of these areas (BC, NS, Ontario, Alberta) tends to get the longest summer?

oceanMDX Aug 19th 2004 7:54 am

Originally Posted by theDIV
Hi Guys,
Ive been following this thread with great interest.
I was wondering which of these areas (BC, NS, Ontario, Alberta) tends to get the longest summer?

Kamloops, and Kelowna in BC, with Windsor in Ontario would have the longest "summers" in Canada.

Grah Aug 19th 2004 1:58 pm

And the good news is in Winnipeg the first Snowfall of the new season was record on August 18th. :scared: :eek: break out the snowmobiles.

Its True, into todays Winnipeg Freepress, Snow fell in small flakes and Environment Canada says at this latitude all clouds are snow but it melts during the summer before getting to the ground.

50f 10c with a high forecast of 14c and theres not even a patch of sky in the cloud.

Now we only need the Geese to leave and winter will be here

willmore Aug 19th 2004 4:00 pm

Are you kidding me - really?? snow on August 18th?/? - unbelieveable - that's right break out those snowmobiles.

Well 50f isn't too shabby, for fall I guess....BUT it's still summer - what on earth is going on in Winnipeg - I'm so......glad I live in Victoria.

Do you think that means a long hard winter?

Originally Posted by Grah
And the good news is in Winnipeg the first Snowfall of the new season was record on August 18th. :scared: :eek: break out the snowmobiles.

Its True, into todays Winnipeg Freepress, Snow fell in small flakes and Environment Canada says at this latitude all clouds are snow but it melts during the summer before getting to the ground.

50f 10c with a high forecast of 14c and theres not even a patch of sky in the cloud.

Now we only need the Geese to leave and winter will be here

Glaswegian Aug 19th 2004 4:02 pm

We had snow in Calgary on August 1st 2002, then again our weather is loopy.

Some trees already seem to have decided that fall is on the way too!

Toontje Aug 19th 2004 4:30 pm

Yes, Ontario does have a problem with air pollution and ........

How far does the air pollution stretch into Ontario? Is it just GTA + surroundings or does the pollution reach Ottawa too?

oceanMDX Aug 19th 2004 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Toontje
How far does the air pollution stretch into Ontario? Is it just GTA + surroundings or does the pollution reach Ottawa too?

Most of southern Ontario has some air pollution. As far as smog is concerned, it is worst along the highway 401 corridor. Cities from Windsor/Sarnia to Kitchener, Hamilton, and Toronto are about the worst. Ottawa has some air pollution, but it isn't considered to be a particularly bad area.

I grew up in Waterloo, and we had a cottage near Hanover. Hanover pretty much never has smog - so that was great. Traveling from Toronto to Hanover (to the north-west), once you get to Mount Forest you don't see much smog.

Toontje Aug 19th 2004 4:57 pm

Thank you for sharing this bit of information.
Quite a relief since I'm planning to move to Ottawa.

BritBob Aug 19th 2004 9:09 pm

Pictures generally say more than words. This is a typical Moncton winter, just about the snowiest city in Canada for the size of it`s population. Only Newfoundland and Labrador does better (or worse)!!

http://members.rogers.com/r.grieve/Gallery1/WELDON2.JPG

I put this gallery together quickly a few weeks back, taken during last winter. All in all, a normal winter over here!

http://members.rogers.com/r.grieve/images1.htm

liftman Aug 19th 2004 9:28 pm

How cold/snowy does it get in Nova Scotia?

I've read the stats, bit that does not really give a feel for the place in winter.

I know about the big dump last winter, but that was unusual, wasn't it?

willmore Aug 19th 2004 10:20 pm

Great picture - but, you know, if you hadn't told me that it was a Maritimes's winter - I would have assumed it to be winnipeg!!!!

Originally Posted by BritBob
Pictures generally say more than words. This is a typical Moncton winter, just about the snowiest city in Canada for the size of it`s population. Only Newfoundland and Labrador does better (or worse)!!

http://members.rogers.com/r.grieve/Gallery1/WELDON2.JPG

I put this gallery together quickly a few weeks back, taken during last winter. All in all, a normal winter over here!

http://members.rogers.com/r.grieve/images1.htm

Glaswegian Aug 19th 2004 10:27 pm

I've seen weather like that in Calgary on the May long weekend - I especially remember 2002 because I dropped my pager in two foot of snow and it didn't reappear for days.

willmore Aug 19th 2004 10:31 pm

Did you tell us that you've already had snow in Calgary this year? Makes for a short summer and long winter. Hope you had a good summer if that's the case!

Were you still able to use the phone or have to buy a new one??

I've seen weather like that in Calgary on the May long weekend - I especially remember 2002 because I dropped my pager in two foot of snow and it didn't reappear for days.

Glaswegian Aug 19th 2004 10:38 pm

I think we had the last real snow in May - can't remember if we had a few flakes in June. We've had hail thick enough so that the piles lasted overnight. No snow so far this "summer" .... we're counting the days.

The pager still worked!

BritBob Aug 20th 2004 1:29 am

Originally Posted by liftman
How cold/snowy does it get in Nova Scotia?

I've read the stats, bit that does not really give a feel for the place in winter.

I know about the big dump last winter, but that was unusual, wasn't it?

As a rule of thumb the closer you are to the Atlantic coast the milder and less snowy your winters will be. The big snowfall last February in Halifax was against the rule. The spine of Nova Scotia, and particularly the NS/NB border can be prone to some pretty serious snowfall. There`s a stretch of highway between Amherst and Moncton that is quite often a no go, with frequent white-outs. Nova Scotia may have reasonably `mild` winters but you pay the price with some of the most unsettled winters. The Prairies in the other hand can be bone bitingly cold, but quite dry, because the area is frequently dominated by high pressure.

Glaswegian Aug 20th 2004 4:50 am

Originally Posted by BritBob
The Prairies in the other hand can be bone bitingly cold, but quite dry, because the area is frequently dominated by high pressure.

But when the precipitation does arrive, it arrives with a vengance ... flooding, railway lines washed away, you name it .... give me the dryness of an Alberta winter anytime, this summer has been way to wet for comfort!

I can run outside at -20C, it's nice and dry - we've had 100% humidity lately and my old knees just sieze up! That's just not fair.