British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   who cold is cold (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/who-cold-cold-249029/)

perkinsgap Aug 16th 2004 9:39 am

how cold is cold

Hi
Just want know when you are talking about it being cold how cold is that and are there places which are not as cold as other places or any where that dose not get snow and the best place for skiing not the ones we all know about are most of the roads ok in the snow.

Toontje Aug 16th 2004 10:56 am

Re: who cold is cold

Chilly: below zero with blowing wind and sleet

Nippy: well below zero with gale-force winds, ten-foot-high snowbanks and roaming polar bears

Cold: minus 40 with a wind-chill factor of at least 100 below (also known as "Jesus H. Christ, it's cold!")

Really cold: exposed flesh freezes in ten minutes

Very cold: exposed flesh freezes in five minutes

Damn cold: two minutes

Really very damn cold: one minute

Freezing: who needs ten fingers anyway?

Too cold to go to the mall: theoretical temperature used only in scientific hypotheses (like the infinity symbol, only more abstract)

Note: none of this applies to people living in Victoria, the b@st@rds.

Source: How to be a Canadian, by Will Ferguson & Ian Ferguson

KimS Aug 16th 2004 11:55 am

Re: how cold is cold

Originally Posted by perkinsgap
Hi
Just want know when you are talking about it being cold how cold is that and are there place which are not as cold as other place or any where that dose not got snow and the best place for skiing not be the ones we all know
are most road ok in the snow

Hello, Perkinsgap,

I'm a Canuck who has been away a few years, and I can only really speak for the East Coast.

It's difficult to equate temperatures, as I only really understand degrees C, but anything minus zero C is quite simply freezing, and there should be no second thoughts about dressing accordingly. (Yes, you will see high school students with open jackets and University students with shorts, but if they live, they'll learn!)

Personally, when I hear the words, "windchill factor," that's when I sit up and take notice. Even moderate windchill feels like a white hot knife on your skin, so try not to leave too much exposed!

The Mounties are very good about telling Canadians when to stay off the roads during inclement weather, and that's another red flag that should not be ignored. Schools are generally closed on particularly nasty days, although I do recall once standing at the end of our impossibly long rural driveway, waiting for a bus in -50 C (windchill factored) weather! With snow tires (non-negotiable: expect to own some) or chains, most people cope reasonably well. I know here in the UK a light dusting causes havoc, but it's only because cars are not equipped for it.

Anywhere that skiiing is possible can be very cold in winter, but conversely, most places that offer skiing can also be very nice (i.e. warm) in summer. I can't think of anywhere in Canada that simply does not ever get snow at some time, as even living as close to the southern limit as you can is no guarantee of being snow-free. I think BC tends to run warmer and have more "green Christmas's", so I guess that is the best place to exerience the least amount of snow and cold.

ksct97 Aug 16th 2004 12:04 pm

do those of you living in canada expect a harsh winter? heard its been a fairly decent summer, so...?

iaink Aug 16th 2004 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by ksct97
do those of you living in canada expect a harsh winter? heard its been a fairly decent summer, so...?

Where did you hear that? East of the Rockies its been the worst summer for ages, loads of rain, very few hot sunny days.

Course we expected a harsh winter, but I was surprised how sunny it is most of the time, and the layer of snow gives everything a clean layer of respectability. I actually enjoy the first couple of months of winter, but come March it starts to drag.

Iain

Glaswegian Aug 16th 2004 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
but come March it starts to drag.

Can you imagine what it's like when it's still snowing in May?
Calgary gets one of the shortest summers in Canada - day and night temperatures can differ by 10 to 20 degrees C.
It's August - we get warm days and cooler nights - I'm expecting to see snow before the end of September.

iaink Aug 16th 2004 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Can you imagine what it's like when it's still snowing in May?
Calgary gets one of the shortest summers in Canada - day and night temperatures can differ by 10 to 20 degrees C.
It's August - we get warm days and cooler nights - I'm expecting to see snow before the end of September.

I've seen snow in Early may (with 0.5in freezing rain on top) in Ontario, I was just saying come march its beginning to drag :) Usually done by Mid april to be fair. This "summer" certainly has sucked big time though. Some of the trees around here are starting to turn already!

Iain

joggerjo Aug 16th 2004 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by perkinsgap
Hi
Just want know when you are talking about it being cold how cold is that and are there places which are not as cold as other places or any where that dose not get snow and the best place for skiing not the ones we all know about are most of the roads ok in the snow.

Hi

We don't get much snow here in the Okanagan, most of it falls at the ski resorts! Our winters are mild, you get an odd day where it is very cold but not that often. Our summers are always hot and dry and we have a very low rainfall. Canada is such a big country it really does depend where you are.

JJ

Glaswegian Aug 16th 2004 5:24 pm

In Calgary its sunny a lot of the time. Its usually very dry(except this summer). This helps with the cold. When we first arrived I was very surprised how "mild" minus 17 felt when the sun shines. I now think of it as 'cold' when it reaches -25C. At -30 and below its too cold to walk the children to school - we drive!

In the last three years school has not been closed due to bad weather - we have had weather where it is -40something (with windchill). At those times there is just no playground time - the children go in as soon as they arrive at school and stay in for recess.

I expect the first winter snow (as opposed to summer snow) to fall mid September and the last of the spring snow to fall in May! In the first two years we were here only the one July was without snow!

So far the weather has been breaking records -hottest, coldest, driest etc. I'm just waiting for the news to declare that this is 'the wettest summer since.....'

Mrs G

willmore Aug 16th 2004 7:40 pm

I grew up (partly) in Manitoba/Ontario. Winnipeg had beautiful clear/sunny but incredibly cold days. I use to walk to/from school in -30 degree weather (no lie) and do lots of outdoor activities in the winter (we had an outdoor skating rink so my brother could practice his hockey and my sister/I could skate). The reason - the prairies have a different cold - it's a 'dry cold' where although you certainly feel the cold and must dress accordingly...the "dryness" allows you to still be very active outside. I can remember still having some snow in May and very short extremely dry summers and then the snow would start again by the middle of September.

In Ontario - (although some may argue) it's a very "damp" cold" where the dampness seems to get right into your bones no matter how active you are. that didn't stop us from having lots of fun outside - but funny enough my parents were more concerned about the kids playing outside in the dampness in winter in Ontario and us being outside in winnipeg.

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
In Calgary its sunny a lot of the time. Its usually very dry(except this summer). This helps with the cold. When we first arrived I was very surprised how "mild" minus 17 felt when the sun shines. I now think of it as 'cold' when it reaches -25C. At -30 and below its too cold to walk the children to school - we drive!

In the last three years school has not been closed due to bad weather - we have had weather where it is -40something (with windchill). At those times there is just no playground time - the children go in as soon as they arrive at school and stay in for recess.

I expect the first winter snow (as opposed to summer snow) to fall mid September and the last of the spring snow to fall in May! In the first two years we were here only the one July was without snow!

So far the weather has been breaking records -hottest, coldest, driest etc. I'm just waiting for the news to declare that this is 'the wettest summer since.....'

Mrs G

iaink Aug 16th 2004 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by willmore

In Ontario - (although some may argue) it's a very "damp" cold" where the dampness seems to get right into your bones no matter how active you are. that didn't stop us from having lots of fun outside - but funny enough my parents were more concerned about the kids playing outside in the dampness in winter in Ontario and us being outside in winnipeg.

I would definetely argue with that one. Compared to the UK (if not winterpeg) it is a very dry cold. We have found moisturisers etc are a necessity to prevent dry skin problems in the winter, and a humidifier for the furnace is a must as well otherwise our sinuses let us know all about it.

Iain

Corky Aug 16th 2004 8:04 pm

It is really cold when your nose hairs freeze and break....And your nose sticks together. Now thats cold!

willmore Aug 16th 2004 10:32 pm

That is so....true....I can remember as a kid in Winnipeg blowing my nose and everything "freezing" before I had a chance to finish!!!!!!, and being skating and having your inner clothes stick to you because it was so cold. Great memories

Originally Posted by Corky
It is really cold when your nose hairs freeze and break....And your nose sticks together. Now thats cold!

willmore Aug 16th 2004 10:35 pm

Well, I guess it depends on your definition of "damp" and where you live in Ontario. True, Sudbury and further North it is dry - but still not as dry cold as Winnipeg I found. . I was in the UK in March/April and it was very damp/cold.

When my husband/I/kids go back to Kitchener (in Southern Ontario) for xmas each year, we really feel the "dampness" and we live in Victoria!!

Growing up we definitely had the same problem with dry skin, etc - but when my parents changed from oil to gas the problem was gone for the most part.

I would definetely argue with that one. Compared to the UK (if not winterpeg) it is a very dry cold. We have found moisturisers etc are a necessity to prevent dry skin problems in the winter, and a humidifier for the furnace is a must as well otherwise our sinuses let us know all about it.

Iain

oceanMDX Aug 17th 2004 3:55 am

Iain

Willmore is absolutely correct comparing the relative "dampness" of a southern Ontario winter versus the "dry cold" of the Canadian prairie winter. The fact that you have to humidify your home is totally irrelevant to the argument.