Reload this Page >

Where's better Calgary or Edmonton

Where's better Calgary or Edmonton

Old Sep 10th 2009, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Anna-Maria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where's better Calgary or Edmonton

Hi
We are hoping to be moving to Alberta as soon as we get our PR but I don't know which town is best to look into moving to. My husband is a software design engineer so we are looking for somewhere that has a large IT presence but we would like to have a better quality of life then we have in the UK at the moment and I have been reading a lot about Calgary and now I'm not so sure it is the right place to go, but I can't find out much about Edmonton.
We have 4 children ranging from 15 - 5 so we need good schools too and a house to fit us all in - reasonably priced would be good!
Can anyone give me their views on the towns, we hope to be going out at Easter next year but probably will only be able to be based in one of the two.
Thanks for any info you can give me
Anna-Maria
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where's better Calgary or Edmonton

Originally Posted by Anna-Maria
Hi
We are hoping to be moving to Alberta as soon as we get our PR but I don't know which town is best to look into moving to. My husband is a software design engineer so we are looking for somewhere that has a large IT presence but we would like to have a better quality of life then we have in the UK at the moment and I have been reading a lot about Calgary and now I'm not so sure it is the right place to go, but I can't find out much about Edmonton.
We have 4 children ranging from 15 - 5 so we need good schools too and a house to fit us all in - reasonably priced would be good!
Can anyone give me their views on the towns, we hope to be going out at Easter next year but probably will only be able to be based in one of the two.
Anna-Maria

I shall move this to the main Canada forum, as it doesn't belong in the immigration one. Hopefully that way more people will see it and answer.

And if you haven't already, do do a search of the forums as you'll find lots of info and opinions on both cities.

Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:12 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Anna-Maria
Based on what I highlighted neither, otherwise (and with my more moderate and forgiving head on) they are much of a muchness neither has a good 'downtown' if you compare to UK cities, both feature a mass of cookie cutter style homes, both can be cold (but dry) in the winter.

Edmonton has the River Valley, WEM and (possibly) a more 'fringe' arts scene

Calgary is sunnier all year round, is closer to the ski hills and has the Stampede.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:19 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy

Calgary is sunnier all year round, is closer to the ski hills and has the Stampede.
Spent my first 9 years in Edmonton and the last 35 in Calgary I like both cities but prefer Calgary.

Calgary has a little warmer winters moderated by chinooks.

I would also take Calgary's down town over Edmonton's any day.

Edmonton seems to have more severe thunderstorms in recent years.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

PrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud of

My husband is a software design engineer
Take a look at SI Systems (http://www.sisystems.com) - they list jobs in both cities, often with salaries quoted.

Take a look at MLS for house prices (http://www.mls.ca).

Edmonton is our provincial capital, so a lot of the jobs are government. The climate can be a little cooler than Calgary.

Calgary is still very much an oil town. Calgary used to be pricier, don't know if it still is.

The Fraser Institute provides a school ranking report - like anywhere else, we have good and not so good schools.

There seems to be a steady demand for software developers, but it's not my specialization.

I live in Calgary, but I wouldn't have a problem moving to Edmonton if a job took me there.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 12:15 am
Just Joined

fn-expat is an unknown quantity at this point

Besides not being as frigid in the winter, one of the things about Calgary compared to Edmonton is its closeness to the mountains. If you like walking, backpacking or skiiing in the Rocky Mountains, then Calgary could be the better choice.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

PrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud ofPrairieSushi has much to be proud of

The mountains are very nice, but if your kids get into minor hockey like mine did, you won't have much time to get out there apart from summer.

Now ... if you're an avid skiier or boarder, or want to be one, then proximity to the mountains makes a difference.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary, obviously !

It takes a three hour drive just to start your drive to get to where else you want to go .... Calgary, perhaps

Seriously - it's very similar in many ways to Calgary but just so far away from anything else.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 5:23 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Edmonton now for just over a year - not impressed. Read my take on the place here
Old Sep 11th 2009, 5:31 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Edmonton seems to have more severe thunderstorms in recent years.
....At least the thunder storms liven the place up a bit!
Old Sep 11th 2009, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bsmith
....At least the thunder storms liven the place up a bit!
The rest of Canada doesn't call it Deadmonton without reason ... personally I've found it inoffensive, which beats several places I've visited for work, but not exactly exciting.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bsmith
I've been in Edmonton now for just over a year - not impressed. Read my take on the place here
Just read your comments.

No prairie cities have downtowns that I would want to spend much time wandering around after dark. Worked in Edmonton, Winnipeg and Regina, plus I live in Calgary - none of the downtown cores are delightful spots after dark.

Both Vancouver and Toronto outshine anywhere in the prairies if you want to venture out for some safe late evening entertainment.

I'd also agree that every prairie city's advertising is laughable - take it all with a huge pinch of salt. Oddly enough, Calgary's advertising never shows a satellite shot of Deerfoot backed up all the way to Airdrie on a bad day or how desolate Edmonton's downtown is most evenings. After arriving in downtown Winnipeg after 10pm on my first visit, my first impression was "what the f##k??" - it makes Edmonton's downtown look lively & welcoming.

That doesn't mean that they aren't good places to live, it just means you can't believe the advertising - never, ever trust your money or your future with someone who stands to make a capital gain from it.

I was incredibly bitter after my first couple of years in Canada - in a post 911 economy, it fell far short of my expectations - all set by people who stood to make a capital gain from my coming here.

Eight years down the line my expectations have adjusted to reality - I read the BBC daily so I've had the opportunity to watch the UK sink from a distance.

Canada's streets aren't paved with gold and the weather is, to be polite, different, but we aren't even close to be as far down the crapper as the UK is.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:20 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to say Edmonton, but I might be being a bit bias there

We're not that far from the better side of the Canadian Rockies, Jasper side and the more prettier side imo
Attached Thumbnails Where's better Calgary or Edmonton-p7090067-640x480-.jpg   Where's better Calgary or Edmonton-p7090083-640x480-.jpg   Where's better Calgary or Edmonton-p7090071-640x480-.jpg  
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:08 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
I'm going to say Edmonton, but I might be being a bit bias there

We're not that far from the better side of the Canadian Rockies, Jasper side and the more prettier side imo
Bit of a drive to Jasper though, and the sections through the towns really put a dent in the average speed.

The section as you enter the park though is pretty magnificent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.