Reload this Page >

Where are you from

Wikiposts

Where are you from

Old Nov 25th 2005, 4:24 am
Just Joined

pgaj3000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Where are you from

First message on this site and not used to the silly symbols, but I will give it a go!

My question (a bit specific but hopefully there are enough people out there?) Does anyone know someone who has emigrated to Canada but has one child or more staying in the UK with their ex-partner?

I would love to link up with someone who has already gone through all the 'stuff' and paperwork to help a little. Ideally the person needs to be now living in the Alberta area, that way I will be able to thank them personally next year when we get over there.

From:- Blackpool, Tydworth, Caerphilly, Nelson, Cwmbran, Pontypool, Newport, Cardiff, Newport, Milan, Newport, Madrid, Newport, Southampton, Magor, Swindon. One or two I missed out early in life but we moved around a lot (army).

Cheers,
Peter
Old Nov 25th 2005, 5:53 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are you from

Originally Posted by AnnetteM
Hey Bananahammock - I'm from Bristol and been living near Vancouver for the past 30 years. Good luck to you, hopre you make it soon!
Thanks AnnetteM We've actually made it here now & are living on Vancouver Island - only our 2nd month though so things are still pretty strange
Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Rachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hi
We were from St Austell, moved here in July of this year, would proudly fly the Cornish flag on our car and outside our home but I think people who dont recognise it may think it has sinister intent!

Darren
I went to St Austell sixth form college ( ages ago!!) and have in laws who still live there.

Where do you live now? We are hoping to move to the Vancouver or Calgary areas sometime.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Wayner is on a distinguished road

Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire..........................Leeds, West Yorkshire...................Calgary, Canada
Old Nov 26th 2005, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally born and raised Basildon Essex (lol at bread and cheese pub, wed go there every year for my nans bday!!! LOL) moved to Chesterfield Derbyshire in 2001. back to Basildon 2002, - Toronto April 2003. here ever since.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I won't hold the record for number of places I lived, but I might hold the record for having been in Canada the longest!

I have lived in Hertford - Compton Dando, Somerset - Bournemouth - Purley, Surrey - Earl's Court - Kew - Purley - and Regina, Saskatchewan.

We have been here since 1968!!

And I still miss "home" - at least now I am older I miss home - when my kids were young I was too busy to miss home I think!
Old Nov 26th 2005, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I'd done this before?!

Andover - Barton Stacey - Andover - High Wycombe - Dunstable - Lahr - Calgary.

(Lizwil - Glad to see I'm not the only 'veteran' expat!)
Old Nov 26th 2005, 4:48 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I won't hold the record for number of places I lived, but I might hold the record for having been in Canada the longest!

I have lived in Hertford - Compton Dando, Somerset - Bournemouth - Purley, Surrey - Earl's Court - Kew - Purley - and Regina, Saskatchewan.

We have been here since 1968!!

And I still miss "home" - at least now I am older I miss home - when my kids were young I was too busy to miss home I think!

You certainly do hold the record! I've been here since '75, thought I was one of the longest. Funny how you start to miss "home" the longer you are here, I never used to be homesick, until about the last 5 years, and if it wasn't for my kids and grandkids, I'd probably pull up sticks and go back. I know it would be a mistake, mind you, but I think the older you get you sort have a hankering to return to your roots, or summat like that.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

Porthmadoc,Wales..Stoke Poges, Bucks.....Airth, Stirlingshire....Bournemouth,Dorset......Walkford, Dorset.....Barton on Sea, Hants....Bournemouth,Dorset.....Winchester,Hants.. .....Swindon, Wilts..... next stop Calgary,Alberta....this journey ends here, end of the line! even if we have to wait for 3 years to get there....(unless we retire to BC when the kids have left home.....)
Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:20 pm
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

Helsingborg, Sweden...Ekali, Greece...New Jersey, USA...Barsebäck, Sweden...Malmö, Sweden...Stockholm, Sweden...Barsebäck, Sweden (again )...Kävlinge, Sweden...Hertfordshire, England...East Sussex, England...Staffordshire, England...back in Herts now, and hating it Hopefully Edinburgh from September '06, then a year somewhere in Canada

-Becs
Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

johnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant futurejohnnyc has a brilliant future

Me--- whitley bay ,uk, hopefully to Belleville ,ontario

My wife ,Dawn---aylesbury- paceville,malta(parents in RAF,doesn't remember it she was only 2) -aylesbury -bath -whitley bay -belleville,fingers crossed.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

MapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really nice

Cardiff (Wales)----- WINNIPEG Canada
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyc
Me--- whitley bay ,uk, hopefully to Belleville ,ontario

My wife ,Dawn---aylesbury- paceville,malta(parents in RAF,doesn't remember it she was only 2) -aylesbury -bath -whitley bay -belleville,fingers crossed.

Hi Johnny,

Let me know when you arrive in Belleville. I'm nearby
Old Nov 27th 2005, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Canredy is a name known to allCanredy is a name known to allCanredy is a name known to allCanredy is a name known to allCanredy is a name known to allCanredy is a name known to allCanredy is a name known to allCanredy is a name known to allCanredy is a name known to allCanredy is a name known to allCanredy is a name known to all

Flemington, New Jersey> Seattle, Washington> Kimberley, BC

One of the minority Yanks here, I guess. Although I did spend a semester at Richmond College in London my junior year of college and therefore understand completely why all the British folk are looking forward to (or already enjoying) the true 4-season climate in Canada.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, AnnetteM - that is exactly how it is with me. I lived here for years and years and got on with my life and my Mom and Dad came for long visits and I never thought about Christmas without them - at least not very often.

Years ago, when my sons were about 6 and 7 - I went home for a holiday and came back with plans to move home. My husband and I checked out jobs and houses and such - but we just never got around to moving back. I met my best friend like that. She moved from Coventry about a year before I came here. She and her husband and two kids moved back to England when the kids were young. They lasted a year before they came back with nothing. I was introduced to her by my office manager who was also English and wanted me to meet someone who had tried moving back!

Then, like you, as my sons grew up and left home and I have a granddaughter, all of a sudden I started regretting the fact that I never did family things with cousins etc. etc. I have a feeling that it might have to do with the fact that when my sons were younger, I had things to do and I couldn't afford to pay all those fares to England - so we didn't go.

Then I could afford to go on holidays, but I think I am not suited to holidays because the more often I go back, the more I miss things when I come back to Canada. I have to admit that I am a "the grass is greener" kind of person. But, as you said, I have sons and a granddaughter here or else I might very well make the effort to move back.

I have never lived anywhere but Regina, and I always think that if I lived in Vancouver or somewhere a bit more like England weatherwise, I wouldn't feel like this - but I don't know because have never tried it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.