British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Where are they ??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/where-they-858413/)

Aqua May 18th 2015 4:03 pm

Where are they ???

Can some one tell me where all the polite Canadians are please! Is it a myth that they say please and thank You?

bats May 18th 2015 4:28 pm

Re: Where are they ???

Originally Posted by Aqua (Post 11649446)
Can some one tell me where all the polite Canadians are please! Is it a myth that they say please and thank You?

There are plenty around here, the majority I would say. Now Toronto that's another matter, all pushy and shovey. City folks.

scilly May 19th 2015 4:11 am

Plenty around here also!

Plus ourselves .............. we've joined them!

JuneSpring May 19th 2015 4:16 am

lol, No I have found folks in Vancouver say thank you - especially on buses. It's quite charming.

However, at least in my workplace, I have found the politeness is superficial and sways with the wind. So it's a politeness that I don't rate highly.

neilg14 May 19th 2015 4:45 am

Well they didn't come to High River,in general, I find them very impolite in most places, in particular, smaller shops, buyers and sellers alike, no communication whatsoever, the only ones I find polite 99% of the time are the Philipina's or anyone expecting a tip.
Everything from opening a door to letting someone out in front of me in the car doesn't get even an acknowledgement.

ladylord May 19th 2015 4:49 am

I've tried flashing, and there's just a look of confusion :confused:

Aqua May 19th 2015 5:17 am

I find the majority here very fickle with politeness, one day it's fine and they say hi.... Chat a little, the next day we may be invisible! And they all turn into green monsters behind the wheel

magnumpi May 19th 2015 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by ladylord (Post 11650009)

That's because it is usually males who flash. It also depends which park u use and the type of rain coat, long and grey is the norm I am told. Good luck with that tho ;)

Tirytory May 19th 2015 1:45 pm

That's because it means something different here- that there is a problem not that you're letting them go. That's nothing to do with Canadians not being polite, that's about you not knowing...

SchnookoLoly May 19th 2015 2:11 pm

My husband's family is visiting from the UK right now and they have commented that they have found everyone excessively polite... even on our few touristy trips into Toronto to go to Ripleys and the CN Tower...

haggis88 May 19th 2015 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by neilg14 (Post 11650008)
Everything from opening a door to letting someone out in front of me in the car doesn't get even an acknowledgement.

The only driving signals I use in Calgary now are my horn and my middle finger :cool:

JonboyE May 19th 2015 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11650354)
That's because it means something different here- that there is a problem not that you're letting them go. That's nothing to do with Canadians not being polite, that's about you not knowing...

Flashing around here means watch out, plod about.

Tirytory May 19th 2015 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 11650510)
Flashing around here means watch out, plod about.

Well yes, OPP are a problem if you're going too fast;)

Pizzawheel May 19th 2015 7:00 pm

I found Toronto to be more polite than Vancouver.

scilly May 19th 2015 8:47 pm

Drivers here, and I assume elsewhere in Canada, wave his / her hand, palm upward, across the body to indicate you are to go to first.

As said before, flashing your headlights means you are heading towards a speed trap or police road block

I've said before that you have to learn a new language when you come to Canada ........ and it is not only in the spoken language!