Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to save rental income in the UK?

Where to save rental income in the UK?

Old Sep 16th 2019, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond reputeLamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where to save rental income in the UK?

Hi all.

I have a house in the UK that I let and as such I make some rental money on, over and above my mortgage and management fees. I don't believe the amount is worth transferring on a monthly basis and so it can stay in the UK and accumulate for me.

I pay tax in the UK on the property and I was informed by my agent I will always have to pay it in the UK regardless of where I live as its a tax liability. By the same token though I believe the rules surrounding saving tax free in the UK whilst overseas are different, in that I cant.

At the moment the rental goes into buying Premium Bonds, flexible but not ideal. I would prefer an ISA or such but again I don't think this is an option.

Would anybody be able to advice, confirm or make suggestions whether this is true or what options I have?

Many thanks.

Lamin
Old Sep 16th 2019, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to save rental income in the UK?

I’m not sure that is sound advice from your letting agent. We are registered as non resident landlords for our UK house which means we pay tax here in Canada rather than the UK. There is a form to complete - NRL1 - which means you get your income without the tax taken off in the UK. Perhaps there are particular circumstances where it’s better to do as you suggest? But we find it easier to lump in the income minus allowable expenses and declare to the CRA with everything else.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

I think you advice tgat you will alwats pay UK tax on it us wrong.

Also no chance of an ISA or a new savings account as you are non resident. Surprised you can buy premium bonds.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 3:43 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tax_o...me_from_Canada
The wiki might help with the tax situation.. don't forget also if your property is worth more than $100,000 (all property overseas, including cash in bank accounts, premium bonds, investment accounts, bricks and mortar) you must submit form T1135.

Your letting agent is incorrect I believe.

Old Sep 17th 2019, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
I’m not sure that is sound advice from your letting agent. We are registered as non resident landlords for our UK house which means we pay tax here in Canada rather than the UK. There is a form to complete - NRL1 - which means you get your income without the tax taken off in the UK. Perhaps there are particular circumstances where it’s better to do as you suggest? But we find it easier to lump in the income minus allowable expenses and declare to the CRA with everything else.
(not an accountant, this is my understanding...) You still have to declare the income in the UK I believe. My UK accountant has me do tax returns for UK rental income still.

UK government under George Osborne made overseas landlords declare rental income and pay tax.

This is the whole reason your letting agent was deducting at source - because you are overseas they have to, unless you have permission from HMRC to receive the whole amount (and agree to fill in tax returns).
Old Sep 18th 2019, 3:08 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Will_PA
(not an accountant, this is my understanding...) You still have to declare the income in the UK I believe. My UK accountant has me do tax returns for UK rental income still.

UK government under George Osborne made overseas landlords declare rental income and pay tax.

This is the whole reason your letting agent was deducting at source - because you are overseas they have to, unless you have permission from HMRC to receive the whole amount (and agree to fill in tax returns).
The official word: https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad/rent
Get your rent in full
If you want to pay tax on your rental income through Self Assessment, fill in form NRL1i and send it back to HMRC.

If your application is approved, HMRC will tell your letting agent or tenant not to deduct tax from your rent and you’ll need to declare your income in your Self Assessment tax return.
(That's when the double taxation agreement would fit in I believe - https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-liv...ad/taxed-twice )

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 18th 2019 at 3:13 am.