Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to move for the lifestyle we want?

Where to move for the lifestyle we want?

Old May 16th 2018, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Winterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to move for the lifestyle we want?

Thanks all. Appreciate your inputs.

We haven't really considered other cities in the UK. Mainly due to Brexit issues around the financial services.
Old May 17th 2018, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winterdiva

We haven't really considered other cities in the UK. Mainly due to Brexit issues around the financial services.
The way the remoaners are dragging it out Brexit will be bogged down in red tape for years to come, despite the democratic vote I can't see Britain exiting for years to come, if ever?
Old May 17th 2018, 11:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentonmag
The way the remoaners are dragging it out Brexit will be bogged down in red tape for years to come, despite the democratic vote I can't see Britain exiting for years to come, if ever?
It doesn't matter. Brexit is still a disaster because uncertainty over leaving is as bad for trade as actually leaving.
Old May 17th 2018, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What about Frankfurt? Booming banking centre, still accessible to the British. I don't know about the commute times.
I worked near Frankfurt for a few years and apart from the booming banking centre, it really is a boring city. The nicer places are far from the city and traffic really is terrible, unless you commute by train. Speaking about Dublin, I was actually there last weekend and I must say that the city really has a lot to offer. Of course like any city, you get the rougher parts and housing prices are a big issue, but probably not for an investment banker LOL. If you can afford it, places like Dalkey, Sandycove, Killiney are amazing and you really have some great areas along the coast.
Old May 17th 2018, 4:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

So back to Canada and where you might move to then...........

Old May 17th 2018, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Winterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
but probably not for an investment banker LOL.
we aren’t THATTT kind of investment bankers unfortunately. We both work in the support functions - IT and Business Change
Old May 17th 2018, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
So back to Canada and where you might move to then...........

yeah, DH and I have a strong gut feel about the Brexit thing driving Financial Services out of UK. They don’t seem to have a plan in place at all
Old May 17th 2018, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, DH and I have a strong gut feel about the Brexit thing driving Financial Services out of UK. They don’t seem to have a plan in place at all
I know they are making a royal mess of it but I cannot see Financial Services suddenly decamping... it has taken centuries to build up all the interlocking infrastructure and expertise in the City. Some immediate job losses are virtually nailed on - so many City firms have said so. But even if the City does end up running down, it will be a gradual process.

In any event, I noticed you talked about being in the likes of IT. I know the bank I worked at for a while were going nuts on the IT recruitment to ensure that the fintech companies do not make serious inroads. Even so far as hosting shows to expat Canadians in Silicon Valley with the view to attracting them back home. I think you have chosen a good time to move here if that is your field.

Last edited by Tumbling_Dice; May 17th 2018 at 7:37 pm.
Old May 17th 2018, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice

In any event, I noticed you talked about being in the likes of IT. I know the bank I worked at for a while were going nuts on the IT recruitment to ensure that the fintech companies do not make serious inroads. Even so far as hosting shows to expat Canadians in Silicon Valley with the view to attracting them back home. I think you have chosen a good time to move here if that is your field.
Nice to hear that
Old May 17th 2018, 8:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps look at https://www.cgi.com/en/careers/working-at-cgi -
Old May 17th 2018, 8:57 pm
Banned

With respect, this forum is for discussions about Canada - if you wish to discuss Brexit and the implications, please start a separate thread in the Maple Leaf forum. Thanks.

Old May 17th 2018, 10:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Where to move for the lifestyle we want?

Originally Posted by Siouxie

No. Don't do that.