Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to move?

Where to move?

Old Nov 29th 2019, 1:18 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to move?

No point in moving halfway across the world if there's no work to be had that will pay your bills... a fast route to nowhere but back to blighty!

By all means find an area you like and see if there are jobs to be had in your profession.. but if there isn't then you'll have to do some hard thinking. No point in being in an idyllic town / village / countryside if you won't be able to earn enough to pay the rent / the bills / gas etc., you'll just be in a pretty place and miserable because you can't earn enough to do anything.

Old Nov 29th 2019, 11:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bairn7
I guess I'm the exception then in that I prioritise where I want to live. It's not like you will never have a job. It may not initially be in your desired field but you WILL find a job to pay the bills until you get your desired job.
Not necessarily. Plenty of people on the forum who have been willing to take any job but have been unable to find anything at all for quite some time. IIRC, Siouxie spent two years applying for literally any job as well as what she was actually qualified for and had experience in (including fast food joints, shelf stacking, etc) and couldn't even get an interview.

Sadly that's not uncommon on the forum either.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 29th 2019 at 11:44 am.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Edinburgh86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not necessarily. Plenty of people on the forum who have been willing to take any job but have been unable to find anything at all for quite some time. IIRC, Siouxie spent two years applying for literally any job as well as what she was actually qualified for and had experience in (including fast food joints, shelf stacking, etc) and couldn't even get an interview.

yeah that's my one big concern really, going without a job and then literally not getting anything. Seeing as I don't have a specific industry I would target I do think heading to one of the bigger cities would provide the most job opportunities, even if just to get started. And to he honest I'm keen on the GTA anyway so hopefully that meets my job prospects plus location hopes at least!

thanks for all the replies they have certainly helped my thinking and a brought up a few things I hadn't considered previously.

Still a fair bit of research to do but looking to apply for PR early 2020, just need to get my language test booked and education credentials back first.

Old Nov 29th 2019, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

bairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck with everything. If you're keen on GTA anyway then it's probably one of the better areas for job prospects in any event, just on sheer size.

The other question that normally gets asked as this point is...have you confirmed that you are going to have enough points for ITA?
Old Nov 29th 2019, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Edinburgh86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck with everything. If you're keen on GTA anyway then it's probably one of the better areas for job prospects in any event, just on sheer size.

The other question that normally gets asked as this point is...have you confirmed that you are going to have enough points for ITA?
I believe we should have up to 478 points depending on the language test results. May have got that spectacularly wrong but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough!!
Old Nov 29th 2019, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

bairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond reputebairn7 has a reputation beyond repute

Good stuff...hope it works out
Old Nov 29th 2019, 1:44 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'm the exception then in that I prioritise where I want to live.
I had no intention of going to the time, trouble and expense of emigrating half way around the world unless it was to a location that offered far and above what I could find by moving within the UK. I solved the employment dilemma by being self employed.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 3:27 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Horses for courses, I suppose, but I find it hard to imagine picking a small town in Canada, FadedGoldRushVille or LeftOverHippyTown, as a dream place to live and wanting to move specifically there. If there's well paid work in FadedGoldRushVille then why not go there rather than drive a cab in LeftOverHippyTown? It's not like Paris or Malibu is on the menu; if you want the sea then it's as wet in Nanaimo as it is in Halifax, if you want hilly scenery there are any number of places.
You're right, horses for courses indeed. For me it was all about finding somewhere i could do the things i love within 20 minutes from my house, 'the bush' for camping, a ski resort, a lake, mountain bike trails, etc. It helped for sure we already knew the area and have family in the Valley, but the town was whittled down from a few possibles to a specific place and we decided thats where we wanted to be. Sure too it depends on your line of work, but being in equipment sales and with a lot of experience i was confident in myself and my abilities that i could find something decent even if it meant travelling alot. Which i did, and I do. I used to drive alot anyway in England as a regional manager so now instead i get to drive alot, but with amazing scenery and little to no traffic, and when i get home I'm in a holiday destination for the evenings and weekends (nearly 2 years in now and showing no signs of losing my enthusiasm for this place hehe)

Wishing the OP all the best whichever way he/she plans to attack it!
Old Nov 29th 2019, 3:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edinburgh86
yeah that's my one big concern really, going without a job and then literally not getting anything. Seeing as I don't have a specific industry I would target I do think heading to one of the bigger cities would provide the most job opportunities, even if just to get started.
On my point earlier and in a separate discussion with someone yesterday, purely at random, I searched on Sous Chef jobs in a small city - no prizes for guessing which one - and Toronto.
Small city jobs advertised - 13.
Toronto - 328
25 times as many positions in Toronto but 34 times as many people. Salary range not hugely different, $38k-$55k compared to $49k-$61k.

Just did the same for Call Centre staff. Small city vacancies - 38. Toronto vacancies - 622.
16 times as many positions in Toronto.

Only a small sample but I don't see the advantage in there being 16 or 25 times as many jobs if there are 34 times as many people potentially wanting them. That looks harder to succeed to me. Unless, of course, one looks a very impressive candidate.

But maybe bigger search comparisons are needed. I used Indeed.

Old Nov 29th 2019, 4:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
On my point earlier and in a separate discussion with someone yesterday, purely at random, I searched on Sous Chef jobs in a small city - no prizes for guessing which one - and Toronto.
Small city jobs advertised - 13.
Toronto - 328
25 times as many positions in Toronto but 34 times as many people. Salary range not hugely different, $38k-$55k compared to $49k-$61k.

Just did the same for Call Centre staff. Small city vacancies - 38. Toronto vacancies - 622.
16 times as many positions in Toronto.

Only a small sample but I don't see the advantage in there being 16 or 25 times as many jobs if there are 34 times as many people potentially wanting them. That looks harder to succeed to me. Unless, of course, one looks a very impressive candidate.

But maybe bigger search comparisons are needed. I used Indeed.
You make a good point, but surely you should be comparing the number of jobseekers in your sample locations rather than the total populations?
Old Nov 29th 2019, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Good point. Some luck out and find a job any job, and others struggle to even find a job any job. Fast food jobs and retail jobs are not as easy to get as many assume.

I send out 300-400 resumes a month in a typical month, I have gotten 1 or 2 interviews in total out of it.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Old Nov 29th 2019, 7:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You make a good point, but surely you should be comparing the number of jobseekers in your sample locations rather than the total populations?
Absolutely. Not sure if that would be available on statscan but I would imagine there would be a similar balance in most places though.

One might find it's even more favourable in some places. New Brunswick is well known for an ageing population, for example, and then there's Fredericton thought of as a place to retire too. The proportion of job seekers within the population might actually be smaller.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Came across this article about Moncton today.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...tegy-1.5312480

"The Greater Moncton Immigration Strategy 2020-2024 suggests the region will need 2,700 to 3,500 immigrants per year by 2024. It calls for a third to be francophone. "

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Absolutely. Not sure if that would be available on statscan but I would imagine there would be a similar balance in most places though.

One might find it's even more favourable in some places. New Brunswick is well known for an ageing population, for example, and then there's Fredericton thought of as a place to retire too. The proportion of job seekers within the population might actually be smaller.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

daisy1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe we should have up to 478 points depending on the language test results. May have got that spectacularly wrong but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough!!
Not a lot of advice I can give, as I am early on in the process myself, but realized we are in a very similar situation regarding the (estimated) number of points and the timeline for application, so just wanted to wish you good luck
Old Nov 29th 2019, 8:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps start a new thread in our Immigration forum with some details of your points breakdown, so our resident experts can offer you help and advice, before you submit anything!