SK
3.82%
YT
0.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

where are most brits moving to and why.

Old Oct 15th 2007, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

I only voted once, but stated preference order in post.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

Ontario, because for work reasons i need to be in the same timezone as New York.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Very_Optimistic is on a distinguished road

Hopefully BC. They seem to want to give OH a licence to be a GP there and there seem to be quite a few job opportunities for him which always helps !

Lifestyle and mild climate are also part of the attraction. Although I guess our compromise is that cost of living will not be as low as some other provinces.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

thedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
My NS is popular. 66%

I wonder how the results will look in a couple of days?
Hi there,

Thats because the word is out we are moving there.

Julie

See you all in Nova Scotia, party in my house (when i eventually get over there and get a house, oh maybe someone else should have the party. LOL)
Old Oct 15th 2007, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Oooo....I love parties....I think I will, have one too. Consider yourself invited.

Originally Posted by thedignans
Hi there,

Thats because the word is out we are moving there.

Julie

See you all in Nova Scotia, party in my house (when i eventually get over there and get a house, oh maybe someone else should have the party. LOL)
Old Oct 15th 2007, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: where are most brits moving to and why.

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
There's a Proclaimers song about that

LaSalle, because it's hot, cheap, and right next to the US.
SNAP - Plus hubbys got family near by! (Getting a Pool!!!)
Old Oct 15th 2007, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manghams
(Getting a Pool!!!)
Who's doing yours? We've settled on Perciballi (sp?) but can't decide on the shape Ummed and ahhed so long, we've put it off until Spring anyway.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 2:19 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

We chose Nova Scotia for the following reasons (in no particular order):

Time difference to UK only 4 hours
Friendly people
House prices
Ocean/beaches
Lots of trees and lakes
Weather not too extreme
Not too populated

To be fair though the only other place in canada we had visited was the GTA. But NS had everything we were looking for so we didn't see the need to look further afield.

Great thread by the way. The poll results are roughly in line with what I would expect. What would be really interesting though would be to see if the trend changes over time. A few years ago Calgary and Vancouver were probably much more popular but I wonder if house prices are putting people off. I meet lots of brits in NS that say they originally planned to move to Calgary but could no longer afford it.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:30 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to Alberta because a) we liked the atmosphere here and b) hubby got offered a job and a bonus c) less tax.

Other places I could see myself living would be BC right in the Rockies nearer the Alberta border the better or the Atlantic provinces even though I have never been there, it looks beautiful in the piccies.

Hubby is making USA noises - I am ignoring!
Old Oct 15th 2007, 8:23 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Ontario, because my employer is in Toronto. Otherwise would have been Quebec (inlaws in Montreal) or BC (other more distant rellies in Vancouver, Pemberton and Kamloops).
Old Oct 15th 2007, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

i see that not many people move to NB or QC so far. wonder if thats because of having to speak french?
Old Oct 15th 2007, 8:44 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine its a key reason (but note a lot of NB is not french-speaking) in the same that lots of brits don't move to france (even though its a much nicer country, cheaper houses etc). In fact the french language was probably their best defence imaginable against a british invasion.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Hey!

I've not voted as I'm yet undecided about where I'll move to.

I was born in Montreal, however left age 5.

I will be returning to either Vancouver of Calgary next summer. There is a pull to Montreal but too many memories there I don't think I could cope with, plus, my french isn't good enough now. I did speak french before english, but you wouldn't think that now.....!

Anyway - I'll know more in Jan after my recce.

B xx
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

new a squaddie once who said he was brought up in germany till he was 12. he only spoke german then. now he cant speak a word of it. no doubt if you are going back there after leaving at five you will have a bit of catching up to do
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

I used to work with a South Korean guy who was brought up in South Korea until he was 8, then he moved to the US. Reckons he couldn't remember a word of it, until one day he had a dream where he was speaking fluent Korean, next thing, it all came back to him...

...anyway, I digress, yes, New Brunswick maybe an option for us - make it number 4. It's next to Nova Scotia...

Last edited by bodgerx; Oct 15th 2007 at 9:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.