Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to live? Toronto/Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton

Where to live? Toronto/Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton

Old May 31st 2006, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Mary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live? Toronto/Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton

OK, this has probably been answered a countless times (but I have gone up to page 17 and can't see it!). I am a chartered accountant and have interviews in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton. I have never been to Canada and won't get to go until I finally move. I used to live in London and now live in the caribbean.. So, in your wise opinion, where should I live? I am 26, and moving with my fiance (who will be my husband by the time we move). We like going out for nice meals, nice scenary (which we never got in London), somewhere where maybe we could live in a nice house outside the city and commute in (can this be done, or do most people live in the City?), ahh so many questions!!
Finally, what kind of hours do you think I am expected to work in a Big 4 office? I had friends who moved to Big 4 in the states, and are working 15 hour days and weekends.. I would prefer to avoid this..
Thank you all soo much!!
Old May 31st 2006, 1:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live? Toronto/Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton

Originally Posted by Mary
(but I have gone up to page 17 and can't see it!).
Try going to the top of the page in the beige bar where it says "search" instead.

Then pick "Advanced search" and narrow your options down to the canada lifestyle forum.

It will save a bunch of jaded forumistas the effort of recomending Iqualuit.

In fact "Iqualuit" is probably by now a handy general search term to use to find all the "where should I live" threads from the last 4 years or so

Why would you move without visiting! Seriously, if you have to sell one of your kidneys to fund a recce trip, then do!

Last edited by iaink; May 31st 2006 at 1:21 pm.
Old May 31st 2006, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

OK, this has probably been answered a countless times (but I have gone up to page 17 and can't see it!). I am a chartered accountant and have interviews in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton. I have never been to Canada and won't get to go until I finally move. I used to live in London and now live in the caribbean.. So, in your wise opinion, where should I live? I am 26, and moving with my fiance (who will be my husband by the time we move). We like going out for nice meals, nice scenary (which we never got in London), somewhere where maybe we could live in a nice house outside the city and commute in (can this be done, or do most people live in the City?), ahh so many questions!!
Finally, what kind of hours do you think I am expected to work in a Big 4 office? I had friends who moved to Big 4 in the states, and are working 15 hour days and weekends.. I would prefer to avoid this..
Thank you all soo much!!
If I lived in the caribbean, I think I would probably be staying there!!! For what it's worth we currently live in Toronto but intend to move out a little further probably towards the Durham region but I may well still end up working in the city so would commute. It all depends how much of your day you want to spend travelling.

Mark
Old May 31st 2006, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Mary is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
If I lived in the caribbean, I think I would probably be staying there!!! For what it's worth we currently live in Toronto but intend to move out a little further probably towards the Durham region but I may well still end up working in the city so would commute. It all depends how much of your day you want to spend travelling.

Mark
Thank you for your advise, I will try the search option..

I am moving from the Caribbean because my bofriend can't work here, he works in IT, and sends 6 months or so with me, and 6 months in London. It would be nice if we could live in the same country for a change..
The British Virgin Islands are beautiful, but it is like living in the middle of nowhere!
Old May 31st 2006, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your advise, I will try the search option..

I am moving from the Caribbean because my bofriend can't work here, he works in IT, and sends 6 months or so with me, and 6 months in London. It would be nice if we could live in the same country for a change..
The British Virgin Islands are beautiful, but it is like living in the middle of nowhere!
wow a 6 month on 6 month off relationship.....it just keeps getting better!!
Old May 31st 2006, 1:58 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Thank you all soo much!!

Going off what you've said, you may find Edmonton a bit on the quiet side as its not as "happening" as the other 3. It has a nickname od "Deadmonton".............but it is a pleasant city. Lovely river valley. Vancouver is probably the most scenic, and I imagine a great city to live in for young couples. Can be pricey though.

Calgary has the Rockies an hours drive away, and is a rapidly expanding city. Fab new apartment complex's along the river.
We like Toronto too, but I couldn't live there. Too much traffic/ smog/ and way too busy for us small town folk.
Old May 31st 2006, 3:59 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of

Thank you all soo much!!

Vancouver, definitely, given your wants and needs. As for hours - never heard of Big 4 but a lot of these American companies expect you to give them your life.
Old May 31st 2006, 4:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Is this nice scenary?

or is this?

Ones Ontario, the other BC. I wouldnt like to chose one over the other myself. And work is what you make of it in my experience, no one is going to stop you working 15 hr a day if you let yourself, only you can say enough is enough. As long as I've got the job done no one here has cared if I left at 4:30

Last edited by iaink; May 31st 2006 at 4:40 pm.
Old May 31st 2006, 4:39 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Iain but I want that combination!!
Can you arrange it?
Old May 31st 2006, 4:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy

Can you arrange it?
Sure, I'll get right on that

I editied my first post while you were doing that, so the beach at Sandbanks is off the menu....Its mine, all mine I tell you, dont want all you newbies clogging it up, its bad enought that most of TO shows up on any given summer weekend.
Old May 31st 2006, 4:42 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Sure, I'll get right on that
Cheers bud! Knew I could count on you to pull a few strings.
Old May 31st 2006, 4:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Cheers bud! Knew I could count on you to pull a few strings.
Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the true meaning of that phrase
Old May 31st 2006, 4:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iaink
Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the true meaning of that phrase
Could be!!! I mean I still keep my fish paste sarnies in my lunch box!!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 12:56 am
Just Joined

matts_99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R2D2
Going off what you've said, you may find Edmonton a bit on the quiet side as its not as "happening" as the other 3. It has a nickname od "Deadmonton".............but it is a pleasant city. Lovely river valley. Vancouver is probably the most scenic, and I imagine a great city to live in for young couples. Can be pricey though.

Calgary has the Rockies an hours drive away, and is a rapidly expanding city. Fab new apartment complex's along the river.
We like Toronto too, but I couldn't live there. Too much traffic/ smog/ and way too busy for us small town folk.
I ws quite suprised to read this about Edmonton. I live in the Old Strathcona area, a few blocks from Whyte Ave, and find the city far from being quiet. I have 8 theatre companies, numerous live music venues and lots of pubs and clubs in the area. With 50,000 people out on Whyte celebrating the Oilers win on saturday it could be said that things got a bit too lively!

Edmonton is often overlooked in favour of the other 3, and I am bias because I live here, but it is well worth a look. If not then try and be here for the fringe festival in August, which is fantastic.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 6:07 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

[IMG]

Can you arrange it?
Then try Harrison Hot Springs (for the beach)/Chilliwack (corn field/mountains) area of BC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.