Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to live? Thoughts?

Where to live? Thoughts?

Old Aug 1st 2021, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live? Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Ljh93
Oh I am not naive to think that everywhere is similar, but I imagine given then size difference to Canada and the UK, I wouldn't notice it quite as much? Yeah, I have been reading about how expensive it is to live put there in comparison to here in the UK. I do worry that I will lose what I have here, a house, my job (I am a vet nurse, so don't feel I would struggle finding a job in Canada).
I just feel lately that I've had enough, just fed up. We aren't sure whether we want to up and leave, hence why it would be at least a year before we even think about doing applications. Just to make sure we aren't just fantasising.
THANK YOU for you response, much appreciated
What are you fed up with in the UK? What is it you are afraid of losing exactly? And why does Canada solve these problems? If you don't have very specific answers for these questions, I would start there for your year long deliberations.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 5:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait to book a holiday to Canada, at the least anyway. I hadn't heard of Creston, I'll have a look. Thank you so much! I've heard that vet techs have much more responsibility in Canada which I think is super cool!
You mention vet techs have much more responsibility in Canada - have you checked to ensure that you have the necessary experience and certifications to claim the Vet Technician title/NOC? Canada is the land of certification, without them you will struggle to obtain work in this field. To use it for your NOC in a permanent residence application, you will need to be doing at least half of the main duties.

https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/Noc...UPUND34zyFo%3D
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ements/4226/ca

https://www.canadianveterinarians.ne...aht-vt-careers
https://rvttcanada.ca/become-a-rvt/

https://oavt.org/internationally-trained-rvts/

These threads may be of use

U.K. Vet nurse moving to canada
UK Vet nurse and registered nurse needing help
Distance learning course help

There are other job titles / NOC codes that might also work (see below).

https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/Noc...NGGL5WoScyE%3D
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ation/14241/ca
  • Veterinary attendant
  • Veterinary helper

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 1st 2021 at 5:32 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I would echo Christmasoompa and say give it a go. You are young and life should include some adventures. You are also fortunate that you both have jobs where opportunities will exist all over Canada, as opposed to someone whose occupation constrains them to a big city - financial sector for example. You just need to do your research to work out how to convert your UK qualifications into the most useful ones here and it sounds like you have started that. I don't think you are ever safe from housing developments but you can mitigate the risk by choosing location carefully. We moved from the Greater Toronto Area a few years ago about an hour north to a township with two villages and a few hamlets. The villages are due for development and the last thing I read said that over the next few years one will go from a population of just over 500 to 2500 and the other one from 2500 to approx 5500. Our postal address is one of the hamlets, although we are 5km away from it, I think we are reasonably safe for the foreseeable future.
Old Aug 2nd 2021, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I’d take a look at Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands. Chemainus, BC might fit the bill for you, where it is a sort of “locked in time” seaside town, compared to Parksville for example that has been experiencing a lot of new construction.

Not much inventory anywhere at the moment though due to covid.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

jackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond reputejackinthetree has a reputation beyond repute

Great points from Lychee and dbd33 as usual. Echoing CanadaJimmy, Vancouver island might be a fit. Personally, I'm not sure that Canada will fit your bill given your initial concerns and frustrations but YVR Island is at least more laid back. It has a high tsunami risk in the event of an earthquake.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

My husband and I have recently discussed moving to Canada in a year or so (we want to give ourselves time to be sure on our decision). However, I have done a lot of research into the process and the only thing I keep getting stumped on is where to go. We have looked at Alberta, Ottawa and Kelowna.

We come from a small seaside town, however seems very busy and over populated. Houses being built left right and centre with the countryside just dissipating. We love the countryside and also love seeing the ocean (can be substituted for lakes). We like a fairly quiet life, but within an area where there are still things going on, good work opportunities and not too expensive to like. We aren't keen on busy burley cities.
So, having read the back-and-forth in your thread up to August 3:
- I'd summarise your *prospects* for the move as quite good, in that both you (immediately) and your husband (potentially with more effort needed on the visa and job-search front) seem to have highly-portable skills, that are useful in any number of out-of-the-way places, 'seaside' or other.
- The mystery from your OP is why you picked "Alberta, Ottawa and Kelowna" as potential settlement targets. Alberta is a province, Ottawa is a major city (in Canadian terms, anyway), and Kelowna is an idyllic, yet expensive part of inland British Columbia which might well be regarded in the same "very busy and over populated" terms that you're attempting to escape...?

Just curious if you have any other factors that you're considering for your move?
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 11:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should do it for the adventure. You're not signing up for a career position in a fixed location and your chances of finding work are about the same anywhere so pick the place that looks like it'll be the most fun. Assuming that is, that either vet techs don't specialize or you deal with small animals; if you're focused on horses, cows or elephants different criteria come into play.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Ljh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You mention vet techs have much more responsibility in Canada - have you checked to ensure that you have the necessary experience and certifications to claim the Vet Technician title/NOC? Canada is the land of certification, without them you will struggle to obtain work in this field. To use it for your NOC in a permanent residence application, you will need to be doing at least half of the main duties.

https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/Noc...UPUND34zyFo%3D
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ements/4226/ca

https://www.canadianveterinarians.ne...aht-vt-careers
https://rvttcanada.ca/become-a-rvt/

https://oavt.org/internationally-trained-rvts/

These threads may be of use

U.K. Vet nurse moving to canada
UK Vet nurse and registered nurse needing help
Distance learning course help

There are other job titles / NOC codes that might also work (see below).

https://noc.esdc.gc.ca/Structure/Noc...NGGL5WoScyE%3D
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ation/14241/ca
  • Veterinary attendant
  • Veterinary helper

I am a Registered Vet Nurse here in the UK. Depending on which province, would depend on whether I would need to become registered with their governing body. So yeah, I am aware of what I need to do. The only extra responsibilities they have are thing that I can do, but we just don't usually do it here in the UK. However, if I did make the decision to go Canada then I would probably get registered with their body anyway because I think its important. Which would require exams.
I have spoken to quite a few people who have been UK vet nurses and moved to Canada and not found an issue since we are very sought after . Thank you for those links, I will bare them in mind 😊
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Ljh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond reputeLjh93 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackinthetree
Great points from Lychee and dbd33 as usual. Echoing CanadaJimmy, Vancouver island might be a fit. Personally, I'm not sure that Canada will fit your bill given your initial concerns and frustrations but YVR Island is at least more laid back. It has a high tsunami risk in the event of an earthquake.

Hiya, thank you for your reply. Can I ask why you think Canada wouldn't be a fit with the information I gave? We plan on booking a holiday at least next year to see how much we like it. We thought of Canada because we know a few people that have moved there and have nothing but great things to say. We love the landscapes and heard the people are nice and great job opportunities. Plus we wouldn't struggle with a language barrier as much as we would elsewhere. X
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 12:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by abner
So, having read the back-and-forth in your thread up to August 3:
- I'd summarise your *prospects* for the move as quite good, in that both you (immediately) and your husband (potentially with more effort needed on the visa and job-search front) seem to have highly-portable skills, that are useful in any number of out-of-the-way places, 'seaside' or other.
- The mystery from your OP is why you picked "Alberta, Ottawa and Kelowna" as potential settlement targets. Alberta is a province, Ottawa is a major city (in Canadian terms, anyway), and Kelowna is an idyllic, yet expensive part of inland British Columbia which might well be regarded in the same "very busy and over populated" terms that you're attempting to escape...?

Just curious if you have any other factors that you're considering for your move?

To be honest, I haven't the faintest idea where would be best for us to move. We know we definitely don't want a busy city as find crowds uncomfortable. I had heard ottawa, although a city, felt more like a town? But honestly, this is just Google and fb pages. I think we both just feel fed up, stuck in a rut, family dramas, rude people. We kind of wanted a "new start" or an adventure. The prospect scares me to death, but I don't want to live with regrets! X
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think you should do it for the adventure. You're not signing up for a career position in a fixed location and your chances of finding work are about the same anywhere so pick the place that looks like it'll be the most fun. Assuming that is, that either vet techs don't specialize or you deal with small animals; if you're focused on horses, cows or elephants different criteria come into play.

Haha, whilst elephants would be super fun, I work with small animals and will hold an additional certificate in animal behaviour. At least if we went on an IEC, if it changed our lives to the point where we didn't want to come back, then we would cross that bridge if we came to it. X
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 12:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, whilst elephants would be super fun, I work with small animals and will hold an additional certificate in animal behaviour. At least if we went on an IEC, if it changed our lives to the point where we didn't want to come back, then we would cross that bridge if we came to it. X

If you want to be by the ocean and not in the tundra, then your choices are, BC (expensive, damp, population of dull stoners and retirees) NL (cheap, damp, cold, wild drunks with squiddly diddly music) NS (moderate, moderate, moderate, moderate) Qc (need French) NB (just no). Other opinions may differ.

Ottawa is a government town, Even by Canadian standards it's a bit dull. I'd look at Halifax.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
If you want to be by the ocean and not in the tundra, then your choices are, BC (expensive, damp, population of dull stoners and retirees) NL (cheap, damp, cold, wild drunks with squiddly diddly music) NS (moderate, moderate, moderate, moderate) Qc (need French) NB (just no). Other opinions may differ.

Ottawa is a government town, Even by Canadian standards it's a bit dull. I'd look at Halifax.
Thank you for this advice, its good to hear from people who know tbh. I'll have a look at Halifax. We dont have to live by the sea, but thought for the familiar feel it may be nice. We also love the countryside.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 3:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this advice, its good to hear from people who know tbh. I'll have a look at Halifax. We dont have to live by the sea, but thought for the familiar feel it may be nice. We also love the countryside.
Perhaps bear in mind that dbd is known to be a little biased when it comes to Canada and has a tendency to be creative in his opinions.. his comments should be taken a little tongue in cheek.

Better to take advice from people who actually live in the areas..

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 3rd 2021 at 3:17 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Perhaps bear in mind that dbd is known to be a little biased when it comes to Canada and has a tendency to be creative in his opinions.. his comments should be taken a little tongue in cheek.
Oh, I'm new here so wouldn't have a clue. But he's put Halifax on my radar and I've had a look and doesn't sound too far from what we would be looking for. I'm glad to have gotten some advice from this thread, even if a lot of it has been a bit disheartening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.