Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to live GTA/Barrie

Where to live GTA/Barrie

Old Dec 13th 2017, 1:24 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live GTA/Barrie

Originally Posted by dbd33
They were courageous, almost heroic, figures, ignorant of the most basic facts about the land to be explored but bolstered by their self-belief and great personal beauty.

Ignorance and stupidity also helped.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Be very careful of Craigslist, there's a lot of scammers on there. It would be very difficult also to find a furnished house (except for 'executive rentals' which are mega expensive). 2nd hand stores / Ikea / Walmart etc., will be of use if you need to purchase furniture. White goods (fridge, stove etc.,) generally are included in rentals.

Once you have decided on a specific area that you want to live in, ask for referrals for a Realtor. They will help find you a place to rent with no charge to you and is the most secure way of doing so from a distance.

It's unlikely that you will be able to secure a rental whilst you are living overseas (unless using a Realtor) - and you wouldn't want to risk it either! For Ontario, you will be required to pay 'first and last' months rent on signing the rental agreement. There's no key deposit or security deposit for Ontario. More here: https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/re...h/fash_009.cfm

You could also look at padmapper.com or https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Singl...r-Rent/ON.html / or check out some of the suggestions in the wiki Renting-Canada : British Expat Wiki

That is not strictly correct, the Residential Tenancies Act (first link on the page) does indeed say that there can be no other deposits apart from last month's rent, however the paragraph also says 'unless otherwise prescribed.' Key deposits are otherwise prescribed in the Residential Tenancies Act General Regulations (second link on the page), Section 17 says that a key deposit can be taken but it should not exceed the anticipated replacement cost of said key.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond repute

As a current resident of Brampton...and shocker I am so white I am translucent I would like to defend this town that is being much maligned and racial profiled on here. Is there a large population of South Asian immigrants, absolutely, is there a large population of European immigrants most definitely. The people are friendly, the town is putting an effort into reviving the town centre with weekly movie shows on big screens, and regular events in the downtown.

Do I feel safe walking in Brampton, absolutely, I have never once felt uncomfortable walking on my own at night or during the day. We have accidentally left our trucks open, back & front house doors open, the garage open and not once have we had an issue. Like everywhere including the much praised Oakville and Burlington areas there are 'known' areas to avoid.

I personally like diversity, I don't want to be surrounded by people who happen to have the same skin tone as me, the colour of my skin is no indication of where I am a good person or not, and it is one of the reasons I love Canada.

If you fancy a non buffet curry I recommend Best Tandoori Indian Restaurant - Mirch Masala Brampton

OP, if you haven't decided yet please don't write off Brampton without having a closer look, we are close to the airport (20 mins depending which side you come from).
Old Dec 13th 2017, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jukeboxwidow
As a current resident of Brampton...and shocker I am so white I am translucent I would like to defend this town that is being much maligned and racial profiled on here. Is there a large population of South Asian immigrants, absolutely, is there a large population of European immigrants most definitely. The people are friendly, the town is putting an effort into reviving the town centre with weekly movie shows on big screens, and regular events in the downtown.

Do I feel safe walking in Brampton, absolutely, I have never once felt uncomfortable walking on my own at night or during the day. We have accidentally left our trucks open, back & front house doors open, the garage open and not once have we had an issue. Like everywhere including the much praised Oakville and Burlington areas there are 'known' areas to avoid.

I personally like diversity, I don't want to be surrounded by people who happen to have the same skin tone as me, the colour of my skin is no indication of where I am a good person or not, and it is one of the reasons I love Canada.

If you fancy a non buffet curry I recommend Best Tandoori Indian Restaurant - Mirch Masala Brampton

OP, if you haven't decided yet please don't write off Brampton without having a closer look, we are close to the airport (20 mins depending which side you come from).
Interesting you mention safe. I’m not talking about attacks but when we lived there we were told that our home and auto insurance was sky high due to break ins and accidents.

I didn’t find it particularly diverse. My son was only one of 6/7 white kids in a school of approx 600 kids.

We moved to Hamilton....

Insurance here is lower although still not cheap. I would say the population here is diverse, it’s a real mixed bag of ethnic backgrounds and languages.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Brampton from 1989-1992 and worked there from 1989-1994. I don't think I've been back in Brampton since about 1999 so a lot has changed. It was quite heavily south Asian back then but not so much where I lived (near Gage Park).

I remember being able to walk from my place to Heritage Fish and Chips for take out
Heritage Fish & Chips | Heritage Fish & Chips

Is it still as good as it was back then?

Back in the late 80's/early 90's a lot of the original Bramalea residents (heavily scottish and northern english) were frequent customers of the Heritage Fish and Chips and there was a pub in the basement of the Brampton Mall that was a good place to have a pint. As well, what is now a Starbucks at Queen/Main was a good pub.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 5:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
That is not strictly correct, the Residential Tenancies Act (first link on the page) does indeed say that there can be no other deposits apart from last month's rent, however the paragraph also says 'unless otherwise prescribed.' Key deposits are otherwise prescribed in the Residential Tenancies Act General Regulations (second link on the page), Section 17 says that a key deposit can be taken but it should not exceed the anticipated replacement cost of said key.
I stand corrected, lol. I know in some Provinces they charge a large amount for security or key deposits.. I had forgotten that Ontario allow the 'cost of a key' to be requested; thanks for the reminder, appreciated!

Old Dec 13th 2017, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Jukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond reputeJukeboxwidow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I remember being able to walk from my place to Heritage Fish and Chips for take out
Heritage Fish & Chips | Heritage Fish & Chips

Is it still as good as it was back then?
Heritage is great, they have opened up another one up on Fisherman's Drive just off Highway 10, you cant beat mushy peas and chip shop curry

DandNHill - I guess it most depend on where in Brampton you were as to what the 'mix' of races are. To each their own but I am not looking to surround myself with people who 'look' the same as me, if that was top of my concerns I would have stayed across the pond and not been an immigrant.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Heritage is great, they have opened up another one up on Fisherman's Drive just off Highway 10, you cant beat mushy peas and chip shop curry

DandNHill - I guess it most depend on where in Brampton you were as to what the 'mix' of races are. To each their own but I am not looking to surround myself with people who 'look' the same as me, if that was top of my concerns I would have stayed across the pond and not been an immigrant.
I think you missed the second part of my response.

Here in Hamilton there is a very diverse group of people. So I’m not looking for people who look like me. Likewise I’m not looking for somewhere to live where I look totally different. As mentioned my son was in a school where there were only 7 kids that were “like” him. That’s not diverse...

Regardless why would you encourage anybody to move to somewhere where insurance is ridiculously high?
Old Dec 14th 2017, 1:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I think you missed the second part of my response.

Here in Hamilton there is a very diverse group of people. So I’m not looking for people who look like me. Likewise I’m not looking for somewhere to live where I look totally different. As mentioned my son was in a school where there were only 7 kids that were “like” him. That’s not diverse...

Regardless why would you encourage anybody to move to somewhere where insurance is ridiculously high?
Brampton's ethnic make up is reflected in the style of houses there (I almost wrote "architecture" but choked on it). People from India tend to have relatives visit for extended periods, they tend not to value outdoor space. They do value convenience and grandeur. Accordingly, the houses are built to the lot lines, there's very little foliage and there are multiple entrances and kitchens. There's often a grand entranceway.

Note that this is racial profiling but it's not maligning, I work with plenty of people who love all of that.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected, lol. I know in some Provinces they charge a large amount for security or key deposits.. I had forgotten that Ontario allow the 'cost of a key' to be requested; thanks for the reminder, appreciated!

It is so unhelpful the way the legislation is written, one section clearly states you can't do it (as you quoted) and then in an entirely different document it has a section on exemptions and this is listed as one of them. It causes no end of arguments over lease agreements as many agents and landlords are not that familiar with all the legislation. Same thing with the rent control, the section that stated it didn't apply to properties built after a certain date was in a completely separate part of the legislation to the section describing the control.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Brampton's ethnic make up is reflected in the style of houses there (I almost wrote "architecture" but choked on it). People from India tend to have relatives visit for extended periods, they tend not to value outdoor space. They do value convenience and grandeur. Accordingly, the houses are built to the lot lines, there's very little foliage and there are multiple entrances and kitchens. There's often a grand entranceway.

Note that this is racial profiling but it's not maligning, I work with plenty of people who love all of that.
The correct term is architectural vernacular. I agree with you on what the local residents place a big priority on in terms of housing styles.

As well, proximity to a pedestrian crosswalk for children going to school to keep the elderly grandfather busy with a small job is often a plus.

https://www.inbrampton.com/5-ugliest...gs-in-brampton

When I lived in Brampton I remember #2. It was a great record store.

This may be of some use:

https://www.inbrampton.com/top-5-ind...ts-in-brampton
Old Dec 14th 2017, 10:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

They were courageous, almost heroic, figures, ignorant of the most basic facts about the land to be explored but bolstered by their self-belief and great personal beauty.

Ignorance and stupidity also helped.
One of the great lines from Blazing Saddles.
What did you expect? "Welcome, sonny?" "Make yourself at home?" "Marry my daughter?" You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the New West. You know...morons.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 10:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

... I had forgotten that Ontario allow the 'cost of a key' to be requested...
Seriously?

I'm probably missing something obvious. That sounds as petty as advertising washer and dryer and then finding out it's coin operated.

Don't landlords get the keys back on final inspection? If they don't get them back and decide it's safest to change locks is that cost not recoverable from the deposit?
Old Dec 15th 2017, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Seriously?

I'm probably missing something obvious. That sounds as petty as advertising washer and dryer and then finding out it's coin operated.

Don't landlords get the keys back on final inspection? If they don't get them back and decide it's safest to change locks is that cost not recoverable from the deposit?
No deposit is permitted though, which is why the cost of replacement key is allowed. A key for a house is no big deal but a replacement fob for a condo building can be much more expensive.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 2:13 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
No deposit is permitted though, which is why the cost of replacement key is allowed. ...
Ah...I knew I must be missing something obvious.

I remember when I was landlording in NB I ventured onto a finance forum with a landlord section and I was always horrified about tales from Ontario. Lack of deposit must have been a big part of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.