Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to live close to Edmonton

Where to live close to Edmonton

Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Nicola Bennett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live close to Edmonton

hi all this is my first time on here so please bear with me , ive been reading the info on here for a while so i thought i may as well join myself. My partner has just been offered a job in Edmonton on a TWP we will then apply for PR. We are just getting our documents etc together so it will be a few months before we are in Canada and im due to have a baby next week also!
We already have an eight year old daughter so i was just wondering if anyone could suggest a nice affordable area to live with good schools close to Edmonton. I would be grateful for any information or advice.

Thanks
Old Dec 17th 2008, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live close to Edmonton

Originally Posted by Nicola Bennett
hi all this is my first time on here so please bear with me , ive been reading the info on here for a while so i thought i may as well join myself. My partner has just been offered a job in Edmonton on a TWP we will then apply for PR. We are just getting our documents etc together so it will be a few months before we are in Canada and im due to have a baby next week also!
We already have an eight year old daughter so i was just wondering if anyone could suggest a nice affordable area to live with good schools close to Edmonton. I would be grateful for any information or advice.

Thanks
Calgary

I am sure that Sherwood Park or St. Alberts would suit you fine. Your criteria would apply to the vast majority of Edmonton and I would imagine that most areas of Edmonton would suffice

HTH
Old Dec 17th 2008, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

JoolsGod is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Hi,

We are in the process of doing the same thing although we have older kids. After visiting Edmonton in October we have decided to settle in Sherwood Park. It was a nice community with loads of schools and we found it very welcoming. We are hoping to go in March if everythingcan come together by then.

Good Luck with your move.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:08 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I work in Edmonton but live in Sherwood Park with my wife and 2 lil ones.
Feel free to ask any questions about the area- we've only been here a couple of months ourselves so things are still fairly new to us.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 4:01 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hubby and I moved to Edmonton just three weeks ago, feel free to PM me.

Sorry we have no kids but I will be happy to help with other questions if I can.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for all of your responses, i will have loads of questions so i will no doubt drive you all mad!
What are the rental prices in sherwood park? can you negotiate as they seem quite high?
How long does it take to drive into edmonton from Sherwood park?
Thanks again
Old Dec 18th 2008, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks for all of your responses, i will have loads of questions so i will no doubt drive you all mad!
What are the rental prices in sherwood park? can you negotiate as they seem quite high?
How long does it take to drive into edmonton from Sherwood park?
Thanks again
We're in a brand new, 3 bed house on a new development. It's about 2100sq ft. It was listed for $2200 p/month, but we got it for $1900 p/month.
Property prices are coming down, and construction on new developments has stalled. There's a few new houses near us that have been empty since we arrived in August. I'd like to buy eventually, but we're more than happy to rent for the time being.
Sherwood Park to Edmonton takes me 30 mins most days, and it's a really easy drive. 90% of it is one straight road. I know there are some areas of Edmonton that seem to have pretty heavy traffic in/out of Edmonton, but Sherwood Park doesnt seem affected. Saying that, it'll depend what time you leave. I leave it 7.20am and come home around 4pm, so the roads may well be busier later than that.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Thats good to know at least they will reduce a little especially if there have been houses vacant since August, we are hoping to be in Canada by March/April all depending on the TWP. Is there a lot to do in Sherwood park? How old are your children?
Are there quite a few new housing estates in the area?i would rather rent a new house. we are going to rent at first also but we will eventually buy.

Nicola
Old Dec 18th 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there Nicola,

We have lived in Sherwood Park for nearly two years, before that we were in Edmonton for 2.
Sherwood Park is a wonderful place to raise a family. We have two kiddies....a lad (10 in two weeks) and my little girl is the same age as yours.
There is so much to do here, that there are not enough days in the week.

Schools.....there are no 'bad' schools in all of Sherwood Park.

Please feel free to pm us.

Linda
Old Dec 19th 2008, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Have any of you been to or know anything about St Albert or Spruce grove as i have been told that these are nice areas also. Its so difficult not being able to come over to take a look around. I like the sound of Sherwood park but think OH job is on the other side closer to St Albert etc.

Nicola
Old Jan 1st 2009, 2:14 pm
Banned

driverpaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nicola,

Spruce grove and St Albert are considered well to do areas in Edmonton. they are nice but can be expensive. Avoid Millwoods particularly the mall area as when i stayed there, there seemed to be a lot of gang culture and fighting even in the day.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice

Originally Posted by driverpaul
Hi Nicola,

Spruce grove and St Albert are considered well to do areas in Edmonton. they are nice but can be expensive. Avoid Millwoods particularly the mall area as when i stayed there, there seemed to be a lot of gang culture and fighting even in the day.
Hi
We have been in St Albert for the last 18mn and love it. Its not actually a part of Edmonton but a city in its own right, although right on the doorstep. The property taxes here are a little higher but no more that we payed at home.I travel into Edmoton everyday and its takes around 25mins and thats from the farthest corner of St Albert. We have 2 kids and they both love it here. There is a real sense of community and the sports facilities are fantastic. We have been "sucked" into the community as both kids play hockey!! I would say the house prices are on a par with SP altho they are still falling everywhere. The kids both enjoy school and we found the whole school structure far more supportive than the UK. Well that my twopennth worth good luck
Old Jan 1st 2009, 7:44 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

i also live in st. albert, have friends in sherwood park, beaumont, leduc, spruce grove and obviously edmonton, each has its own appeal.

i was very impressed by beaumont, though its full of french, still can't have everything i suppose.
leduc was a bit close to the airport for me, but friends there very happy and close to nature on the east of the city.
sherwood park everything linda said, my friend has been there most of her life in different homes.
spruce grove seems a little far out for me, but certainly has its own small town identity.
most people i know though all agree st. albert is best, when i say where i live its greeted with, oohh st albert, like you are a millionaire or something. the taxes here put people off, but they are not that bad, and you get what you pay for. road clearing, garbage collection and other services around the city, simple things like lighting and landscaping, you can see where you money goes.
i would not live in edmonton, its a dump, apart from a few very select streets where if you have around $2,000,000 the houses are nice.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:44 pm
Banned

driverpaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry guys i have been misunderstood, i meant to say that In Edmonton, ie people who live in Edmonton consider Spruce Grove and St Albert well to do areas. I realise SA and SG are not in Edmonton and i am sorry if people got that impression....