Reload this Page >

Where To Live In Canada - Buying A Home

Where To Live In Canada - Buying A Home

Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

260904 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where To Live In Canada - Buying A Home

Dear christmasoompa

Thanks for your help, but what do you mean neither of our jobs are on 'the list' as if you visit the http://www.visabureau.com/canada/emi...to-canada.aspx me and my partner both qualify with above the 67 points and are jobs are on the list, also it allows you to live in canada and find a job whilst you are over there, you do not have to find a job before you go, please explain what you mean as I am really confused.

Thank you.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:10 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith
If you choose to live inland and close to nature -40 goes with it in most of Canada. Also you will most likely see snow on the ground from Dec to March.
The Okanagan (Kelowna, Vernon, Penticton etc ) in BC interior is not quite that cold so might be worth a look for you - once you know where the job opps are.

Good luck
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 260904
Dear christmasoompa

Thanks for your help, but what do you mean neither of our jobs are on 'the list' as if you visit the http://www.visabureau.com/canada/emi...to-canada.aspx me and my partner both qualify with above the 67 points and are jobs are on the list, also it allows you to live in canada and find a job whilst you are over there, you do not have to find a job before you go, please explain what you mean as I am really confused.

Thank you.
Ignore the Visaburea website (which appears to be a year out of date as it doesn't even mention 'the list' or job offers as being a requirement for SW visas from what I can see) - you need to look at the CIC one, which is the official Canadian immigration one. Or alternately, check the Wiki on here (on blue bar at top of page).

From what you've said so far, neither of your jobs (legal secretary and mortgage broker) are on 'the list' of 38 occupations in demand which would qualify you as a Skilled Worker without a job offer. Just having enough points is not enough I'm afraid, you also need a job offer approved by HRSDC as you are not on 'the list'.

These Wiki articles may help explain it a bit better than I can! Hope they help, have a read and then shout with any questions...............

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/THE_LIST-Canada

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Points-Canada

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 18th 2009 at 6:49 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 6:49 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Dear christmasoompa

Thank you.
You might be better to read from this site http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
These are the guys who make the rules.
This will help you assess whether you might be able to get in or not
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tool/index.asp
Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

I have tried CIC and it says I qualify so I am really confused, I have contacted them directly and asked so we will see what they say, thanks for the help.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 9:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have tried CIC and it says I qualify so I am really confused, I have contacted them directly and asked so we will see what they say, thanks for the help.
Now I'm confused too! Did you just do their self assessment test for points (which as explained, doesn't mean anything unless you also have a job on 'the list' or a job offer), or have you done their SW eligibility test that The Aviator gave you?

The latter is below, that should tell you the answer if you haven't done it already so take it and then let us know what it says!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tool/index.asp

Good luck.

Edit: Here is the info on SW visas from the CIC website, this page tells you who is eligible etc. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp I've just done the above test as a legal PA, and it said I wasn't eligible so not sure how you got a different answer?! You haven't worked or studied in Canada previously have you?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 18th 2009 at 10:02 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Yes I took the test the avaitor gave me, the same one as in the link you just sent and both me and my boyfriend qualify...so I am some what confused..
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Basically our careers do not come up on 'the list' but then if you look further down it says....'If you are not sure if you should apply as a skilled worker, you can use the eligibility tool to get an idea of whether your application would be eligible for processing.'

Then when I click that and go through that it says we are both eligable as I come under job skill level B as a secretary. my boyfriends position as a paralegal is also level B. We also both got above 67 points...this is really confusing as to whether we qualify or not.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Basically our careers do not come up on 'the list' but then if you look further down it says....'If you are not sure if you should apply as a skilled worker, you can use the eligibility tool to get an idea of whether your application would be eligible for processing.'

Then when I click that and go through that it says we are both eligable as I come under job skill level B as a secretary. my boyfriends position as a paralegal is also level B. We also both got above 67 points...this is really confusing as to whether we qualify or not.
If your job is not on the list of 38 occupations then it doesn't matter if you get 67 points - you can't use the standard Skilled Worker application process as you don't qualify.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Yes but when you click the link it gives you other job options and says that those job options qualify, even though they are not on 'the list'. Click the link and do the test yourself and you will see which jobs it says...it include secretary and paralegal...why would they put it in the test and say your job qualifies if it doesnt??? So confused...well I have emailed them personally I will have to wait and see what they say as its getting more than confusing now.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:52 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I have emailed them personally .
Good luck with that.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 10:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but when you click the link it gives you other job options and says that those job options qualify, even though they are not on 'the list'. Click the link and do the test yourself and you will see which jobs it says...it include secretary and paralegal...why would they put it in the test and say your job qualifies if it doesnt??? So confused...well I have emailed them personally I will have to wait and see what they say as its getting more than confusing now.
In skill category B, you would qualify if you had an approved offer of employment.. Otherwise you can't even apply for SW (well, you can, but you're wasting your time).
Old Oct 18th 2009, 11:40 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You will only find out for sure by sending in the application and waiting for the answer from CIC. Even some who thought they would qualify got turned down.
Old Oct 18th 2009, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

You should be aware that, in some Provinces, paralegals are licensed so your OH will not be able to work as a paralegal until he obtains his licence.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:17 am
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

You can cross Quebec off your list if you're worried about not learning the language well. In Quebec you either know the language and you get by, or you struggle with it and you'll be miserable. Quebecers can be brutal in their atitudes towards non-francophones. More often then not they give no leeway.

I would recommend central/eastern Ontario, the maritimes, lower mainland BC or BC interior.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.