Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to Live in Canada?

Where to Live in Canada?

Old Oct 12th 2004, 8:59 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of
Default Where to Live in Canada?

No, no. Calm down everyone. This is not yet another request for info on where I should go in the eventuality I get my visa (well not quite true).
I have been doing alot of research and have come up with, well what I consider to be useful sites for those making that all important choice. I am looking to go to Ontario so the sites are concern with living there.
So I hope these help:

www.settlement.org.
A site dedicated to people wanting to go to Ontario. Full of useful info for new arrivals. Type in 'Where to live' in the search engine and it will come up with community profiles for all of townships in the province.

www.jobfutures.ca
Type in your job or the one you want and it will tell you all sorts of stats such as demand, average pay and skills matrix.

www.2ontario.com
All about the province. Try /webcam/home for views across the various towns and cities.

I quite fancy the look of Kingston as a place to work and the Frontenac area as a place to live. Any one out there with any views on this choice?
Old Oct 14th 2004, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to Live in Canada?

Originally Posted by Pincher
I quite fancy the look of Kingston .....
I've been there a couple of days ago. Beautiful area! But that's all I know. Sorry!
Old Oct 14th 2004, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

I quite fancy the look of Kingston as a place to work and the Frontenac area as a place to live. Any one out there with any views on this choice?

Lived in the area at Napanee for the past 30 years. Kingston is a great little city with interesting surrounding country (1000 islands, Land o Lakes etc.). Big cities are not too far away (Toronto and Ottawa 2.5 hrs, Montreal 3.5 hrs) Quiet, smalltown lifestyle. Unfortunately jobs are nowhere near as plentiful as bigger cities.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 6:42 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by flashman
Lived in the area at Napanee for the past 30 years. Kingston is a great little city with interesting surrounding country (1000 islands, Land o Lakes etc.). Big cities are not too far away (Toronto and Ottawa 2.5 hrs, Montreal 3.5 hrs) Quiet, smalltown lifestyle. Unfortunately jobs are nowhere near as plentiful as bigger cities.
Thanks very much. Will be coming out in the New Year to have alook around ourselves and to see if my initial research about the place is correct.
It does seem to be a small attractive colonial era city with a nice atmosphere. The main employers after the Canadian forces is the heath care sector which will benefit my wife.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 7:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much. Will be coming out in the New Year to have alook around ourselves and to see if my initial research about the place is correct.
It does seem to be a small attractive colonial era city with a nice atmosphere. The main employers after the Canadian forces is the heath care sector which will benefit my wife.
Kingston is a nice enough place. There are a couple of large regional hospitals there, although at one time they were going to close the "Deau", not sure if they ever did though...if you are really sick where I am they transfer you to Kingston The prison system is another major employer there, as is the University (Queens) which i think is connected to the hospitals in some way. There are a lot of government offices there as well. I think quite a few departments in Toronto have been moved to Kingston as a cost cutting exercise, but I may be wrong.