Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to live around Toronto

Where to live around Toronto

Old May 15th 2009, 12:36 am
Riddle89

riddle89 has a brilliant futureriddle89 has a brilliant futureriddle89 has a brilliant futureriddle89 has a brilliant futureriddle89 has a brilliant futureriddle89 has a brilliant future
Default Where to live around Toronto

Hi
We ahve been here almost 12months and are now looking at buying.

ONce we buy we would like to stay there a very long time.
We like Oakville and Burlington but house prices are putting the home we would like a little out of our reach so.... we have a chouce to compramise or look elsewhere.

We need to be within a hours commute of Toronto (Young and York Mills). I prefer a nice area for children (we have two little ones).

What is Whitby, Aurora and Newmarket like?
Thanks
Riddle89
Old May 15th 2009, 12:46 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all
Default Re: Where to live around Toronto

My OH grew up in Aurora (9+) and pretty well hated it, but that may have been teen angst. From what I've seen it looks like a fairly normal GTA suburb, if fairly affulent (inordinate amount of establishments offering botox services and luxury cars). The sight of the square subdivisions they're throwing up at the sides of Yonge up there put me off personally though. They look a lot like the houses on new estates in the UK - detached, but only by a few inches from their neighbours, with tiny gardens, all fenced off and surrounded by what is essentially wasteland.

Wherever I was looking at I'd seek out the older areas of town.
Old May 15th 2009, 1:23 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riddle89
Hi
We ahve been here almost 12months and are now looking at buying.

What is Whitby, Aurora and Newmarket like?
Thanks
Riddle89
Completely interchangeable for the most part.

Sorry, but you've been here 12 months. Why not take a look for yourselves?
Old May 15th 2009, 11:20 am
Riddle89

riddle89 has a brilliant futureriddle89 has a brilliant futureriddle89 has a brilliant futureriddle89 has a brilliant futureriddle89 has a brilliant futureriddle89 has a brilliant future

We have drove around and had a look but I was seeing if anyone had any further comments on the places.
Old May 15th 2009, 11:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riddle89
We have drove around and had a look but I was seeing if anyone had any further comments on the places.
Yonge and York Mills would be a difficult commute from Whitby. Since none of these are really places, just suburbs, you may as well pick the one nearest to work.