Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to live????

Where to live????

Old Feb 21st 2012, 12:49 pm
wannabejillaroo

jillany is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live????

I read on the UK site about someone that moved back to UK after living in Australia for 6 years and wonders why and not sure whether to return to Australia or not. My situation is a little similar. I am an ex Brit (27 years), ex S.Africa (10 years), living at the moment in Canada (24 years), but emmigrated to Australia 2 years ago and stayed for 1 year and returned to Canada. Living with family was not so great and I also had my dog of 13 years with me who did not appreciate the grandchildren, that also created a huge problem. If I returned there she would not be able to go with me as she has cancer now and it wouldn't be fair on her. I dread the thought of losing her as she has been my best buddy for all that time but realise I have to handle it.

It was always a dream of mine to live in Canada since i was in school. We moved here as a family but then both my children emmigrated to Australia and got married and now I have 4 grandchildren there. I am now single and divorced and the only relative here, kind of, is the ex.

I have all my brothers and sisters still in UK. I have managed to get back there every 1 to 2 years and know if I move back to Australia I won't be able to do that.

My children would love me to move back to Australia, my other family would love me to move back to UK. I don't want to be alone anymore.

I have been writing lists of fors and againsts for every country I could live in. My decision day was today and I am still not 100% sure what to do.

I saw a suggestion of writing a list of what makes you happy. I will do that today but wondered if anyone else had any other suggestions to help me make my mind up.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

se1zm1c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to live????

This might help in giving you a lightbulb moment

Get the basics out of the way and see how they stack up for (out of 10) :
1. Weather
2. Culture (if you're that way inclined)
3. Cost of Living/Affordability - bearing in mind that these factors just lay the foundations for your final decision, you can be in the safest, most affordable and sunniest place on Earth and still be miserable w/o the company that brings a smile to your face.

Now for the more important factor:

Who do you miss the most when you're away from them? (again out of 10).

Now sum it all up and see what comes out on top. This might provide you with a good starting point to base your final decision on.

Or .... visit Austrailia and UK in their respective spring/summers ..? 6 months a piece?

Old Feb 21st 2012, 3:45 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

3 options
  1. Be close to your children and grandchildren, and be an important part of their lives.
  2. Be close to other family members, who probably couldn't give a monkeys.
  3. Be on your own in Canada

Take your pick
Old Feb 21st 2012, 5:58 pm
wannabejillaroo

Now you have given me some food for thought. I did the happiness test and weather seems to play an important part in what makes me happy as nearly everything that makes me happy happens outside.
I think I have lost touch with the British culture. I did enjoy the Australian culture although I did sometimes feel like I didn't fit in. Perhaps it was the area I was in - mainly toursts and young people.

I know what you mean about being close to other family members who couldn't give a monkeys. I did find that when we lived back in UK before moving to Canda, after living in SA for 10 years, that it took about 2 months for no one to bother where we were. I am not sure if that would happen if I returned on my own but I realise they all have their own lives to lead the same as my children in Australia.

The cost of living in UK and Australia is higher compared to Canada, especially food. But at the same time - as was pointed out - being on your own is the choice for staying here.

Who did I miss the most - my kids. I love my sisters and brothers to bits but they have children who they don't see much of and while i was in Australia I saw a lot of mine. But I still want to be able to visit them. My daughter thinks I won't be able to afford to visit them very often and that worries me.

I told my daughter I would make my decision today as I have been procrastinating, I guess waiting for a magic wand to be shoved in my face. Something always happens on the 21st of the month so I figured it might as well be my major decision making day. I have to make a move on applying for the second visa for a migrant if I decide to go that way.

A friend asked me if the world was to end on Dec 31st of this year where would you want to be. My instant answer was with my kids. He said there is your answer.

Thanks for your input.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 6:06 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy Australia and the kids
Old Feb 28th 2012, 11:58 am
Just Joined

martygb is an unknown quantity at this point

jillany,

Can I just ask. How have you decided?
Old Feb 29th 2012, 10:34 pm
wannabejillaroo

I decided to give my children and grandchildren top priority. I wish I could be in 3 places at once but I guess God never intended life to be that easy.

Perhaps my eyes are more open now to what to expect and not to expect.