Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where have all the jobs gone?

Where have all the jobs gone?

Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:09 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where have all the jobs gone?

Originally Posted by iaink
Although, for a newcomer its always rougher as you have no Canadian track record for them to refer too....at least in the UK you are not up against that in addition to the tough economic times...
It's pretty damn tough in the UK I have just started working again after being unemployed for 5 months!

Finances have taken a beating. No hiring anywhere and it is getting worse and worse.

Last edited by JamesM; Mar 26th 2009 at 9:14 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:15 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Allowing for both governments being lying manipulative underhand devious and completely without a hint of decency
I’d think that overall they’re quite comparable, Canada being hit a little harder because it has an auto industry that would show up within two decimal places
Yep and I would say that eastern canada is not faring as well as western canada. Apparently recruitment is way up in law enforcement, last year we were having a hard time competing with the private sector. What a difference a year makes.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dboy
Yep and I would say that eastern canada is not faring as well as western canada. Apparently recruitment is way up in law enforcement, last year we were having a hard time competing with the private sector. What a difference a year makes.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/cp-unemployment/
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:31 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
So not quite as bad then, "lies, damn lies and statistics" put to one side ? I was just curious too.
Having been nerdy enough to follow the economic statistics of both the UK and Canada over the last 5 years the percentage of unemployed people in Canada has always been higher.

I do not think it is a reflection of quality of life or a statistic worth comparing.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

For any newbies trying to find work-one way is to find out if you can volunteer somewhere because in Canada its often who you know, not what you know that will help you get work.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:46 pm

Thanks for the link. Much as a I suspected. Western Canada is lower and combined is lower than the uk national average. Vancouver is 5.5, lower than London at 7.6 .I was surprised at how low Manitoba is. Eastern Canada is being hit by the slow down in manufacturing. Given the regional differences in Canada, you really need to compare provinces or regions rather than the country as a whole given the very different economies across the nation. This what may be effecting the personal experience of job finding than what stats are saying.

Last edited by dboy; Mar 26th 2009 at 10:02 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by James Martindale
Having been nerdy enough to follow the economic statistics of both the UK and Canada over the last 5 years the percentage of unemployed people in Canada has always been higher.

I do not think it is a reflection of quality of life or a statistic worth comparing.
very, true. Stats are very misleading on the whole.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:43 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

very, true. Stats are very misleading on the whole.
if you don't how to use them............
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:46 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link. Much as a I suspected. Western Canada is lower and combined is lower than the uk national average. Vancouver is 5.5, lower than London at 7.6 .I was surprised at how low Manitoba is. Eastern Canada is being hit by the slow down in manufacturing. Given the regional differences in Canada, you really need to compare provinces or regions rather than the country as a whole given the very different economies across the nation. This what may be effecting the personal experience of job finding than what stats are saying.
don't forget that the majority of the funding for Canada comes from the east
Ontario is the biggest contributor to the federal budget
It goes down, Canada goes down with it

something also worth considering when picking a location
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:53 pm

Yep, very valid point. I think we have yet to see the worse of things. Hope I'm wrong.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:05 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Interesting. What are others in the top five?
Here is the link http://www.cbc.ca/national/blog/spec...sources_1.html it is under the heading "Where the jobs are".

The list is:

1 - Public Sector
2 - Heathcare
3 - IT
4 - Environment/Green
5 - Accounting
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Having been laid off in late December, I haven't even gotten an interview yet.

I lost count long ago the number of resumes I have dropped off/emailed, I have started applying at low end retail and food service jobs but so far after 2 weeks no interviews there yet either.

I don't qualify for EI as I did not work enough hours last year, so its getting to the panic point now.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

UK unemployment currently 6.5%

Canada unemployment currently 7.7%
Hi
Is that the 'old UK seasonally adjusted', [with bad maths figures],
So it doesn't look to bad ? , Suppose the figures of those undertaking education & on social, have increased then ?
One thing I do miss is the old UK spirit, historically even 1940 dunkirk was a UK victory.. good old brit politics
And strangely my old UK circles must have mostly been in that 6.5%..
Luckily so far I haven't met the canadian 7.7%
Cheers
Jerry
Old Mar 27th 2009, 4:28 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Hasn't that now changed with Ontario being a 'have not' province?
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Just to throw a slightly more positive note into this thread...

I came out to Vancouver and landed as a PR on January 20th, alone with no job, home etc to come to. 2 weeks to the day after landing I started work in an admin position placed by an agency, initially temporary for 3 months but with a good chance of it leading onto something longer term if all went well.

After less than 7 weeks they offered me a fixed term contract until July 2010 (maternity cover), but are expecting a permanent vacancy to come up which they hope I'd then slot into. So I now earn a salary rather than an hourly wage, with excellent benefits and vacation entitlement, and generous flexitime working. It's only a 35 hour week too, and I work with a great team of people in an interesting role with lots to learn and many changes ahead due to a forthcoming change in legislation towards the HPA :-) I'm really pleased. And due to the nature of what our organization does it's about as recession proof as you can get. Of course it could've been so different - I feel that I've been lucky but of course also hard work and perseverance in the initial job hunt helped too, and that was down to lessons learned while here on a BUNAC visa 5 years ago - it really did help me prepare for life here and know what to expect.

I really hope those of you who have found it tough so far persevere and find something suitable soon, keep as positive as you can and GOOD LUCK

All the best everyone,

Adele x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.