Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where have all the jobs gone?

Where have all the jobs gone?

Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where have all the jobs gone?

Not sure how the Canada jobless are counted, but the figures supplied by the UK government count only those actually claiming benefit - the rest of the working age unemployed are classed as 'Economically Inactive'...a figure which is a lot higher.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Allowing for both governments being lying manipulative underhand devious and completely without a hint of decency
I’d think that overall they’re quite comparable, Canada being hit a little harder because it has an auto industry that would show up within two decimal places
Personally I suspect its worse in the UK as there are no manufacturing jobs left to soften the blow, its all service industry and financial services and the like, which is exaclty what is taking the brunt of the current economic problems.

But, governements being what they are, I suspect we will have to leave it up to historians far in the future to figure out the real numbers not working...

Makes more sense to look at the recent changes in unemployment numbers, and the rate of change I guess...I wonder what that shows?

Last edited by iaink; Mar 26th 2009 at 7:56 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:43 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

The unemployment rate was higher in Canada than it was in the UK, this time last year UK unemployment rate was 5.3% its now 6.5%. Statistics show a lot, but in a practice the are not always a true reflection as it depends on how the figures are complied.

My colleagues in the UK are suffering as all their clients, spread across the UK are not hiring. There is a very interesting graphic on the Guardian website that shows the spread of unemployment in the UK. I know personally I'd rather be here than back home at the moment.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:53 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Personally I suspect its worse in the UK as there are no manufacturing jobs left to soften the blow, its all service industry and financial services and the like, which is exaclty what is taking the brunt of the current economic problems.
I dunno, we've lost a lot in manufacturing in Ontario, many suppliers I deal with have gone into chapter 11 due to inability to get credit, the job losses quoted on the radio news haven’t been good recently either, and Alberta has lost a lot of oil projects due to the drop price of crude per barrel..
The service sector is soft but that also makes it flexible, and at this moment a lot of those that got us into the mess are still working due to the need to get out of the mess..
Its the case you need an accountant when you start a business, you need him when you run it and you still need him when you go bust only then can you get rid of him, the service sector may be parasitic by nature, but it doesn’t die until after it’s host is dead either
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:10 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I dunno, we've lost a lot in manufacturing in Ontario, many suppliers I deal with have gone into chapter 11 due to inability to get credit, the job losses quoted on the radio news haven’t been good recently either, and Alberta has lost a lot of oil projects due to the drop price of crude per barrel..
The service sector is soft but that also makes it flexible, and at this moment a lot of those that got us into the mess are still working due to the need to get out of the mess..
Its the case you need an accountant when you start a business, you need him when you run it and you still need him when you go bust only then can you get rid of him, the service sector may be parasitic by nature, but it doesn’t die until after it’s host is dead either
Nice one.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:31 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget there are lots of accountants working in insolvency as well!

According to the CBC accounting is the 5th most recession proof job in Canada.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me about it. We had a job offer last October, was willing to step several rungs down the ladder to get the Canadian experience etc. Anyway my husbands brother went missing then died right at that time, we didnt go, was hoping to go in March instead. In that time we sold property arranged everything so we could go.

And you have guessed the rest - now no job available.

So were in australia, cashed up, ready to go..... Nowhere

Construction sounds really bad out there, amazing as the projects my husband does are massive commercial projects and Calgary looked full of them last October.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Don't forget there are lots of accountants working in insolvency as well!

According to the CBC accounting is the 5th most recession proof job in Canada.
Interesting. What are others in the top five?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:54 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember the exact order, or even job titles, but they were in health care, government at federal/provincial level, and k-12 education.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:55 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Troll, Idiot, Engineer and Internet Chat room Mod.........................

Looks like me and Iain are safe for a while.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:59 pm

I can't remember the exact order, or even job titles, but they were in health care, government at federal/provincial level, and k-12 education.
CBC and the Ottawa municipality have canned quite a few people in the last couple of days. We'll know we're in serious trouble if VIA starts sacking.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Looks like I stand a good chance of being in gameful employment for sometime to come...

http://www.forbes.com/2008/07/18/rec...hisSpeed=15000

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2008/0...recession.html

...ahead of Accountants even - surely we are not that parasitic.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Looks like I stand a good chance of being in gameful employment for sometime to come...

http://www.forbes.com/2008/07/18/rec...hisSpeed=15000

...ahead of Accounts even - surely we are not that parasitic.
Gameful? That occupation is the safest of the lot.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

I'd go for midwife and funeral director/mortician in the top five .... some things never go out of fashion ....
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Gameful? That occupation is the safest of the lot.
Freudian slip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.