Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to give birth in Toronto/Montreal?

Wikiposts

Where to give birth in Toronto/Montreal?

Old Jul 7th 2009, 3:37 am
Just Joined

neda_la is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to give birth in Toronto/Montreal?

Hello everyone
This is the the first time I am writing here.
I am a Canadian citizen living in Dubai, who's 8 weeks pregnant and wants to deliver her baby in Toronto or Montreal, wherever is cheaper to stay and the costs of delivery is also less expensive.
I have to choose a hospital and a gynecologist by mid Aug. when I come to Canada. My insurance is going to pay to a certain amount...
Any tips???
By the way, I still have my Quebec insurance? Do you think that would help, or is it better to stick to my insurance plan here in Dubai?

Thanks a million....
Old Jul 7th 2009, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

johnehsmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Where to give birth in Toronto/Montreal?

Originally Posted by neda_la
Hello everyone
This is the the first time I am writing here.
I am a Canadian citizen living in Dubai, who's 8 weeks pregnant and wants to deliver her baby in Toronto or Montreal, wherever is cheaper to stay and the costs of delivery is also less expensive.
I have to choose a hospital and a gynecologist by mid Aug. when I come to Canada. My insurance is going to pay to a certain amount...
Any tips???
By the way, I still have my Quebec insurance? Do you think that would help, or is it better to stick to my insurance plan here in Dubai?

Thanks a million....
Firstly, good luck finding a gyno in montreal, its practically impossible, they all seem to have enough patients on their hands already.
Secondly you are advised not to fly in the last trimester of your pregnancy so you will have to consider being here for 3-4 months.
Thirdly, St Justine is very good in Montreal, but I dont think you'll find it a piece of cake to just walk up and have your baby. Although having your Regie D'Assurance Maladie card will certainly help.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 5:40 am
Just Joined

neda_la is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks fro your answer.
I would fly there considering the limitations. (I guess it is 34 weeks)
Do you know whether in Toronto would be cheaper to deliver the baby or Montreal?
And if I have a private insurance would it be easier or with my Regie d'Assurance Maladie card?
Old Jul 7th 2009, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

johnehsmith will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by neda_la
Thanks fro your answer.
I would fly there considering the limitations. (I guess it is 34 weeks)
Do you know whether in Toronto would be cheaper to deliver the baby or Montreal?
And if I have a private insurance would it be easier or with my Regie d'Assurance Maladie card?
Private insurance might mean you have a room to yourself - it wont mean you get anything else, theres no private healthcare system in Canada, at least not in Montreal to give birth.

Giving birth in Canada is otherwise free.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 6:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnehsmith
Private insurance might mean you have a room to yourself - it wont mean you get anything else, theres no private healthcare system in Canada, at least not in Montreal to give birth.

Giving birth in Canada is otherwise free.
If you're resident in Canada. The OP is resident in Dubai and so is on the hook for the whole cost, variously estimated here in the past as being between five and ten thousand dollars if it all goes smoothly.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 7:27 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

For your Regie d'Assurance Maladie card to be of any use one must not have spent 183 days out of Quebec during a calendar year (Jan.1-Dec.31).
Old Jul 7th 2009, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Also remember if you want to have your baby in Toronto you have to be resident for 3 months before you're eligible for OHIP.

BTW both my kids were born at Woman's College hospital in downtown Toronto and I have no complaints the doctors and nurses were great