Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where do I stand in Canadian education and how can I get the official equivalence?

Where do I stand in Canadian education and how can I get the official equivalence?

Old Mar 30th 2015, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

all2pro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where do I stand in Canadian education and how can I get the official equivalence?

Hi everybody.

To start off with I've been living in Canada close to 4 years now. I am already a PR and have been working here the past few years now and am thinking about going back to school. I managed to get a job as a pastry chef here shortly after arriving on a working holiday. Before that I finished a short cooking course in the UK.

To be honest though as much as it's fun this isn't really a profession I see myself doing for a lifetime and I'm seriously considering attending college over here to study IT or something.

Is there any legit websites or organizations which can translate my UK education? To be honest my high school education is all over the place. I got poor GCSE's (managed only to scrap 6 C's) though managed to score perfect grades for a BTEC national diploma in IT. So I'm not sure where I stand in Canadian education. I also have a year course I did in cooking but don't think that would count as much, if anything my BTEC national diploma stands out more.

Will appreciate the help, thanks!
Old Mar 30th 2015, 2:57 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I stand in Canadian education and how can I get the official equivalence

Have you chosen a college and program? Most have an assessment process for adult return to school students so see what you need.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Where do I stand in Canadian education and how can I get the official equivalence

Originally Posted by bats
Have you chosen a college and program? Most have an assessment process for adult return to school students so see what you need.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have heard about this option, pretty much a mature student option from what I understand? I am 24 so I'm pretty sure I fall under that option. I know I should be researching but how does it work usually? Do they ask for your British qualifications or is it completely different way of assessment?
Old Mar 30th 2015, 3:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by all2pro
Is there any legit websites or organizations which can translate my UK education?
Either WES or ICAS.

How long was your BTEC for?
Old Mar 30th 2015, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Either WES or ICAS.

How long was your BTEC for?
It was for 2 years. It's now called extended diploma now instead of national. I did the course during sixth form from 16-18.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 6:38 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by all2pro
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have heard about this option, pretty much a mature student option from what I understand? I am 24 so I'm pretty sure I fall under that option. I know I should be researching but how does it work usually? Do they ask for your British qualifications or is it completely different way of assessment?
I went back to school at the ancient age of 52. They used my British qualifications withou me having them certified. I did an Ontario Diploma program and my previous quals were at that level. Some of the locals had to write a test. It depends on what you want to study and where, and what the competition is, ie how popular the program is.
You really need to speak to the college to find out what they need.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 7:35 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

I signed up for Simon Fraser University as a mature student and just had to provide proof of passing my English and Maths (c & above) and that was for a bachelors.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tigger1
I signed up for Simon Fraser University as a mature student and just had to provide proof of passing my English and Maths (c & above) and that was for a bachelors.
Wow that was it? Did you get accepted? I have a C in English & maths and AS level in business grade c also.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:43 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

That was it, I applied through their evening and weekend program and I had three terms to provide the proof of my GCSE's. You need your original certificate from the exam governing bodies.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tigger1
That was it, I applied through their evening and weekend program and I had three terms to provide the proof of my GCSE's. You need your original certificate from the exam governing bodies.
Is that just the requirements for the evening/weekend program? I am more interested in studying fulltime degree and not just part time. Good to know though as I used to live close to SFU.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 11:12 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

I'm not a 100% sure but I imagine it would be the same. The only difference with the evening and weekend program is not all subjects were available.