Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where in Canada for milder climate

Where in Canada for milder climate

Old Feb 28th 2019, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in Canada for milder climate

When I arrived in Winnipeg on December 13th 2007 and thought I'd wrapped up well with all my best UK winter clothes on .............. What Joke !!!

I have experienced -47 and it was perfectly tolerable with the correct outer wear - Buy the correct outfits IN CANADA and when the temperature rises from -20 to -6 you'll be out in your flip flops and shorts

Canada is Cold in Winter - Lovely in Summer - Embrace it !
Old Mar 1st 2019, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I had to laugh to myself earlier this evening.

I am as bad as anyone in saying Vancouver and the Lower Mainland are the "Banana Belt" of Canada.

We got the total records for February earlier this evening ................

10th snowiest February on record at the Airport ....... just over 31 cm. Record was over 60 cm back in 1949

Coldest ever February on record

That reminded me that our first winter here (1968) included the record cold ever recorded here.

It was -18C on Boxing Day 1968. Arctic fog was rising from Burrard Inlet as we crossed the Lions Gate Bridge.

It snowed heavily just before Christmas, side roads were not cleared. Another snowfall after Christmas used up all the money allotted by the city for snow clearing, so not even the major roads were cleared when there was a 3rd fall a few days later. The city did not start using money from other parts of the budget after the snow clearing budget had been used up until well into the 1970s.

What I noticed that first winter was that it did not feel as cold outside to me as it had living near the Pennines back in England .................. it was so much drier than back there.

Vancouver averaged around 100 cm total snow from December to February through much of the 1970s. Of course, being Vancouver, it did not all fall at once ............ there would be a large dump, then it would thaw, and another fall 2 or 3 weeks later.

Total annual rainfall back then ranged between 1300 mm to over 1500 mm .............. even that seems to be less these days.

Part of my job required that I keep weather records, and some of those figures are deeply ingrained in my memory!
Old Mar 1st 2019, 8:46 am
Just Joined

boiali is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by J-A-UK

Canada is Cold in Winter - Lovely in Summer - Embrace it !
An acquaintance who moved to Toronto said the same thing to me recently. She says you get used to it with the right gear....
Old Mar 1st 2019, 8:50 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boiali
An acquaintance who moved to Toronto said the same thing to me recently. She says you get used to it with the right gear....
The reverse gear is best..
Old Mar 1st 2019, 8:51 am
Just Joined

boiali is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Not sure why people are ruling out all of Atlantic Canada. I don’t find the weather here in Nova Scotia to be too extreme (ok it’s -14 today but you don’t get many days that cold). There’s also not constant snow and plenty of winter sunshine days. The summers are lovely albeit a bit humid sometimes.
Your reply came on same day I got an email Invitation for a meeting (from Nova Scotia). They are coming to UK this month for physician recruitment. I have since made an appointment to meet in Manchester with them. They are also offering an all expenses paid for trip to "have a look". so will see how it goes.

I will also like to thank everyone for their helpful input. So far job discussions ongoing with BC, Ontario and Nova Scotia.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The reverse gear is best..
There are days when the temps are minus 35C and with windchill feels like its minus 50C you hear this voice in your head saying WTF why are you living here?
Old Mar 1st 2019, 3:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
There are days when the temps are minus 35C and with windchill feels like its minus 50C you hear this voice in your head saying WTF why are you living here?
I think the worst we've had here has been around -40 with wind chill but I remember worse than that in Montreal. We get more snow than some but less than others. We've had nothing like dbd mentions almost every year.

Maybe Atlantic Canada isn't the worst place for weather?

Old Mar 1st 2019, 7:31 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by boiali
1. The cold does have some perks, lived in Prince George in the early 70s, if it was -25 at 2:00 in the afternoon, Coffee was free at the Inn of the North.

Old Mar 1st 2019, 7:39 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I generally don’t find myself saying that during the winter here, but in “Spring” when it’s 2c rain, drizzle and fog while the rest of Canada is basking in +20c? Yes, then. Still, summer eventually arrives in ohhh July...
Old Mar 1st 2019, 9:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I generally don’t find myself saying that during the winter here, but in “Spring” when it’s 2c rain, drizzle and fog while the rest of Canada is basking in +20c? Yes, then. Still, summer eventually arrives in ohhh July...
I've yet to see a spring. Unless it's that week between turning the heating off and having the AC on for the first time. But then you did put it in " "
Old Mar 1st 2019, 10:13 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Let's face it, no matter what the bleeding weather is, us Brits will always complain.

Me in Winter = Too cold, can't wait for Spring.
Me in Spring = Roads are a mess, can't wait for Summer
Me in Summer = Too hot, can't wait for the fall.
Me in the fall = Hate raking these bloody leaves, can't wait for Winter.