Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where can you buy bumbo's?

Where can you buy bumbo's?

Old Mar 4th 2006, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where can you buy bumbo's?

I was looking into buying a bumbo chair and as usual it is difficult to find. Does anyone know where you can buy one from? I am in Toronto.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where can you buy bumbo's?

Originally Posted by babsi
I was looking into buying a bumbo chair and as usual it is difficult to find. Does anyone know where you can buy one from? I am in Toronto.
what is a bumbo chair?
Old Mar 4th 2006, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bumbobabyseat.com/
Old Mar 4th 2006, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

doesnt it stop the litttle blighters learning to crawl?
Old Mar 4th 2006, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

it's recommended from 6 weeks or until they can hold their head up, they don't start crawling until around 7 months...even though my baby is only 7 weeks the signs are that he is very active, when i lay him on his tummy he gets frustrated because he wants to move, so for me that isn't a problem...i think it is great also for going out
Old Mar 4th 2006, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

stubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura about

nope - my little one used to crawl around with it on her bum.. basically it helps them sit ie good for feeding etc

try ebay thats where i got mine from
Old Mar 4th 2006, 12:47 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

We have one for our daughter (5 months). We got it online direct from the site you linked to:

http://www.bumboseat.com/orderbumboseat.html
Old Mar 4th 2006, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

The site I linked to is based in the US, so I will have to pay taxes when it comes, something that I want to avoid if possible and I probably will use ebay as a last resort but I really would like to see it first before buying. There must be a baby shop in Toronto that sells them, I know there is a big one in Eglinton and Bayview, maybe there?
Old Mar 4th 2006, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

stubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura aboutstubby1974 has a spectacular aura about

how about - http://www.bumbo.ca/ - see fi they have a retailer near you ?

these are in toronto - http://www.kiddieproofers.com/produc...egory=Specials
Old Mar 4th 2006, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the link, I should have thought to type in bumbo.ca, and quite a few of them are near me so I will be phoning up to see if they have any ones in stock so I don't make a wasted visit.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 6:24 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen them before, as my kids are all big and lumpy now, none of my friends have small children, and I don't work in Paeds.

I should think they have a place, so long as they are used in a supervised environment, and for short periods. I would be cautious about putting a baby into one as soon as they have head control (as they claim), as babies need to learn to roll and move about to explore their environment, and their joint stability, proprioception and musculature will develop commensurate with their devlopmental status. Personally I'd not want to put prolonged loading too soon by using a seating system like this.

I think the risk of injury might be high if mis-used, and the potential for mis-use is certainly there. Some people are so stupid. I might research it further.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 5:55 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

So I've read up everything I could find for the last hour or two and have decided my initial reactions were not far off.

What concerned me was the assertion that they were recommended from the age of 6 weeks, but I find that thay are usually used around 4 months or so, which is not so bad.

Some parents have found that the baby simply hated being in the chair, and when big enough could throw themselves and the chair backwards, bashing their heads on the floor.

Others hoped that the chair would restrain the baby in some way, and were disappointed that the child could get out of it! One disadvantage from the child's point of view was that they could not easily reach their toys if dropped, so it was not satisfying for very long.

Many parents like the chair, especially as a seat for feeding and to give themselves two free hands.

It is pointed out that the chair has to be on a hard surface, but safety consideration has to be made if the chair is anywhere but on the floor. The child is at risk if left unsupervised, even for the shortest time.

The chair has been successfully used apparently for some children with developmental delay, to encourage that upright posture, and is of a nice soft texture, and easy to clean. Larger babies however may find the legholes uncomfortable, or get wedged in it.

*laughs* I guess nobody here was expecting a lecture on bumbo-sitters, and I am writing this as much for myself as for anyone else's information, as I have an interest in postural management.

In summary then, I'd say that the chair has some limited use in certain circumstances, but should be used only for short periods and with due caution, much as I started out saying. The baby will fairly soon "grow out of it", and to encourage postural development, periods of tummy-time are excellent ways of strengthening the back muscles and encouraging the child to explore his environment. He will sit when he is ready. He may or may not crawl, some never do.

Sorry, here endeth the lesson!
Old Mar 5th 2006, 6:06 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I would recommend using one of those.....but its not my call so what about a doughnut of overlapping cushions on the floor at four months? Cheap, safe, soft and baby can grab toys, roll, move limbs...just a thought...my fifth kid is just five months and the little b is already on the move. Loves his cushion time though!
Old Mar 5th 2006, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

dont see whats wrong with the good old victorian method, tie em to a table leg and dose em with laudunum, keeps em smiling and quiet too