Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where can I buy non-brewed condiment (chip shop vinegar) in Canada?

Where can I buy non-brewed condiment (chip shop vinegar) in Canada?

Old Jan 10th 2021, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

stevenghines is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where can I buy non-brewed condiment (chip shop vinegar) in Canada?

I'm finding it impossible to buy non-brewed condiment either in my local grocery store or online (Amazon has it but do not deliver it to Canada). Does anyone know where I can buy some in Calgary (or online for delivery to Canada)?

For years I've been bringing chip-shop vinegar back with me from my trips back home but the pandemic has cut my supply line! I ran out two weeks ago and Friday night home-cooked fish and chips are just not the same! Malt vinegar just does not cut it for me, it's a completely different taste. Did you know that most chippys back home use non-brewed condiment and not actual malt vinegar?

We have a British Chippy in Calgary but it's not close to where I live, so I'll get in contact with them to ask. The British food shops in the city (and the ones I've found online) don't stock it. I'm also getting in contact with a manufacturer to see if they'll ship (they probably only sell to wholesalers).

I think I may be an addict if I'm willing to go to these lengths to buy it!
Old Jan 11th 2021, 12:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where can I buy non-brewed condiment (chip shop vinegar) in Canada?

Originally Posted by stevenghines
I'm finding it impossible to buy non-brewed condiment either in my local grocery store or online (Amazon has it but do not deliver it to Canada). Does anyone know where I can buy some in Calgary (or online for delivery to Canada)?
Amazon canada has some

https://www.amazon.ca/Non-Brewed-Condiment-Refill-Vinegar-Bottle/dp/B07SD79Q7S
Old Jan 11th 2021, 3:09 am
Just Joined

Well, that's embarrassing - I had found that product earlier and had seen a message saying that they don't deliver to Canada. I must have been on the UK site. Thank you very much for posting that!

I'd still be keen to hear if anyone knows of alternatives, $40 for a litre seems expensive. I wonder if there are any companies in Canada who make this.
Old Jan 11th 2021, 3:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenghines
Well, that's embarrassing - I had found that product earlier and had seen a message saying that they don't deliver to Canada. I must have been on the UK site. Thank you very much for posting that!

I'd still be keen to hear if anyone knows of alternatives, $40 for a litre seems expensive. I wonder if there are any companies in Canada who make this.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-Non-Br...-/183653995552 - this should make quite a lot lol
When mixed with water this will produce 16 gallons of non brewed condiment
- and it ships to Canada
https://canada.desertcart.com/produc...ewed-condiment
https://drywite.co.uk/categories/fish-chip-products > https://drywite.co.uk/international
Old Jan 11th 2021, 3:34 am
Just Joined

I'll check those out, thank you.
Old Jan 12th 2021, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

elpato is an unknown quantity at this point

looks like it is acetic acid, water and colouring, surely you can just make your own, Cheaper. see (can't post URLs) lowpricefoods-dot-com/products/non-brewed-condiment-for-pickling-table-use-coloured-5-litre
Old Jan 12th 2021, 11:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elpato
looks like it is acetic acid, water and colouring, surely you can just make your own, Cheaper. see (can't post URLs) lowpricefoods-dot-com/products/non-brewed-condiment-for-pickling-table-use-coloured-5-litre
I don't think they deliver to Canada
We ONLY deliver to UK addresses at the moment, but are looking to expand our deliveries in Europe soon.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 12:54 am
Just Joined

elpato is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I don't think they deliver to Canada
I don't think sending 3 litres of acetic acid worth three squid is very economical either. As long as you can get food quality acetic acid then you can mix your own.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 4:10 am
Banned

https://supremevinegar.com/2020/10/0...wed-condiment/