Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to live in Oakville?

Where is the best place to live in Oakville?

Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:46 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where is the best place to live in Oakville?

Originally Posted by BC15
to quote myself:
I believe you will find boozing and eating places along Dundas at Trafalgar, Neyagawa and Third. I was actually answering the original post by Souvenir who said there where no shops or pubs along that stretch.
Then let me clarify my original post.

When I left Oakville, admittedly five years ago, there were no shops/eateries on that stretch worth getting out of bed for. From what I have read in subsequent posts, that has not changed.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:50 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BC15
to quote myself:
I believe you will find boozing and eating places along Dundas at Trafalgar, Neyagawa and Third. I was actually answering the original post by Souvenir who said there where no shops or pubs along that stretch.
Compare this post with the one you posted later, quoting me. I said "not much in the way of..", not "no".
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

BC15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Then let me clarify my original post.

When I left Oakville, admittedly five years ago, there were no shops/eateries on that stretch worth getting out of bed for. From what I have read in subsequent posts, that has not changed.
If 5 years is the last time you saw north Oakville then you would be surprised at what it looks like now. I don't mean its better, I just mean it's developed on almost every patch of spare ground along the Southern side of Dundas between Ninth and Bronte. In recent years they've started on the northern side. Along with that they have included shopping malls here and there and Bus services (I know I get stuck behind them). If at all they go for bars really, rather than pubs. I wouldn't know whether there are good or bad. I know if you want a drink around here you're just as welcome in restaurants as bars/pubs. But the whole drinking out thing is so expensive that we tend to leave it for special occasions.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

nixons is an unknown quantity at this point

Like Oakvillian we live in College Park too and we back onto a ravine. We moved there last November. We like it as it is an established quiet neighbourhood with enough amenities and pretty central to the rest of Oakville.

Personally I am not keen on most of the new residental and commercial developments between Upper Middle and Dundas as they seem too new, too similar (legoland describes it well whoever used that phase in a previous post), but the houses seem to sell quickly enough. Shame that north of Dundas is going to go the same way (basically all fields at the minute). I like Oakville south of Upper Middle Road and especially south of the QEW, Bronte is nice.

On the whole though public transit seems to be ok (for commuting to Toronto it is good). There is a fair bit of things to do for kids, good libraries, schools, rinks, pools, parks etc.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:47 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I am not keen on most of the new residental and commercial developments between Upper Middle and Dundas as they seem too new, too similar (legoland describes it well whoever used that phase in a previous post), but the houses seem to sell quickly enough. Shame that north of Dundas is going to go the same way (basically all fields at the minute).

It's a result of all those freakin' immigrants coming to Canada.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:48 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Personally I am not keen on most of the new residental and commercial developments between Upper Middle and Dundas as they seem too new, too similar (legoland describes it well whoever used that phase in a previous post), but the houses seem to sell quickly enough. Shame that north of Dundas is going to go the same way (basically all fields at the minute).
I agree!!

I lived on lakeshore in Bronte (moved out last year) and if ur gonna live in Oakville along he lakeshore corridor and defo south of the QEW is the only place to be!! North of the QEW is legoland like vaughan, north burlington, milton etc etc!!

Last edited by Mikey B; Mar 7th 2009 at 10:50 pm.
Old May 28th 2009, 7:09 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taradem
Just for balance I am one of those that lives in cookie cutter West Oak Trails with its fake trails and poor schools (sic). We moved here from a heritage
property in Cambridgeshire but choose our house based on price, siz and area. In many ways we would love to live in one of the older properties closer to the lake but the reality of our situation (2 young children) and budget didn't allow this. My house does have those horrid fake pillars but it is 5 years old isn't falling down and appears to have no problems of quality.
It may be unpopular but I LOVE where I live. The 'trails' around our house are expansive and well kept and lead to a warren of fabulously appointed childrens play areas. We found a new one yesterday so can now count 4 in a five to ten minute walk all via the 'trails' so the children can ride bikes and scoot safely.
We have a Starbucks, Doctors, Hairdressers, Convenience store, Bank and Pizza parlour just around the corner and a bus service to Bronte Go. My daughter goes to Captain R Wilson and I am delighted with the school as are the other parents. There is a strong teaching staff, an excellent Principal and a great culture of encompassing each and every child. If you are considering a school based on results alone then you will fit right in in Oakville where competitiveness and keeping up with the Jones seems to thrive. You are right that you need to consider the whole picture, bear in mind that one of the better schools in Oakville (ratings only) has a horrid reputation of habitual bullying which resulted in one poor child being excluded after they threatenned to shoot their classmates.
So in summary, the best place in Oakville is up to you and what you are looking for. Most people I know that live here love it. My husband does the commute to Argentia and from here you can go the back way via Milton with minimal fuss.
Hope this all helps rather than just stir the soup!
Hi, which school has the bad bullying reputation? do you mind sharing please, even if you p.m me. Ta