Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to live in Oakville?

Where is the best place to live in Oakville?

Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is the best place to live in Oakville?

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Plus no trees
Ah yes, built on farmland.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:09 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ah yes, built on farmland.
Yes. I had a mate in Oakville. Born and bred there and younger than me. He could remember when there was pretty much nothing but farmland north of Speers.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Plus no trees, no sidewalks and, in the case of north Oakville, not much in the way of shops, bars, restaurants or public transport.
Like this..
Attached Thumbnails Where is the best place to live in Oakville?-gta-craptastic-sprawl.jpg   Where is the best place to live in Oakville?-york-region-hill-town.jpg  
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
Like this..
I see the shoreline, I remember from maps ...
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by clynnog
Like this..
Yes, just like that. Pictures like that make me glad I live where I do. I am also in a residential development but the house styles are mixed, as is the alignment of the houses, and there are lots of mature trees.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

BC15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Plus no trees, no sidewalks and, in the case of north Oakville, not much in the way of shops, bars, restaurants or public transport.
No Trees in Oakville! They're mad on them. Thousands are planted every year. Builders have to landscape and plant trees as part of the permissions to build. More recently the municipality has passed bye-laws to protect trees. Now you will see fences built around trees to protect them on a building site or roadside. Even trees on private property are protected: you need to get permission to cut them down, the process costs around $300 and there are heavy fines for those that choose cut without permission.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:23 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, just like that. Pictures like that make me glad I live where I do. I am also in a residential development but the house styles are mixed, as is the alignment of the houses, and there are lots of mature trees.

Crikey.......... Where do you live?? I suppose Burlington and Mississauga is just the same???? where should I live?, need to commute to Mississisauga/Argentia area.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by BC15
No Trees in Oakville! They're mad on them. Thousands are planted every year. Builders have to landscape and plant trees as part of the permissions to build. More recently the municipality has passed bye-laws to protect trees. Now you will see fences built around trees to protect them on a building site or roadside. Even trees on private property are protected: you need to get permission to cut them down, the process costs around $300 and there are heavy fines for those that choose cut without permission.
Newly planted saplings aren't quite what one thinks of as being "trees".
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by dollface
Crikey.......... Where do you live?? I suppose Burlington and Mississauga is just the same???? where should I live?, need to commute to Mississisauga/Argentia area.
Toronto. Commute out.

Port Credit.

Way north.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by BC15
Yes, there are lots of trees in Oakville, or bits of it. The legoland I remember was remarkably bereft of them.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:37 pm

Cote d'Azur (north bit of Gatineau, near the Alonzo bridge).

You shouldn't move to Mississauga. It's a bad idea to live in places with names you can't spell.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:38 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Toronto. Commute out.

Port Credit.

Way north.

Don't really want to raise kids in Toronto, areas I would like Etobicoke or partts thereof is way out of my price range. I like the Beaches but same thing and the commute would be awful from East end to way west of a morning.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:39 pm

Cote d'Azur (north bit of Gatineau, near the Alonzo bridge).

You shouldn't move to Mississauga. It's a bad idea to live in places with names you can't spell.
YEs, I get you...........I was thinking that. I'm almost in Gatineau now!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I like the Beaches but same thing and the commute would be awful from East end to way west of a morning.
I did that. Beach to Guelph. Yes, awful. Look at Streetsville, it's old enough to be an actual place, not just 'burb, same for Port Credit.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

tilly1626 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi dollface, I live in a 'Simpsons' house in Glen Abbey on a tree lined street with a small garden, big enough for kids to play in.

We are close by to a big park and loads of trails where you can walk,cycle, a number of Provincial parks a short drive away.

If you have money your children can do anything they wish to try their little hands at, everything is offered here.

My daughter is an Abbey Lane Public School which has a strong community involvement, Pilgrim Wood Public School is also I have heard is a good school which is in Glen Abbey they both feed into Abbey Park High School which is excellent.

Oakville offers many different housing styles and areas we were taken around by our realtor who showed us loads of areas and housing styles and gradually narrowed it down to what we were looking for and found the perfect area and house for us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.