British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Where is the best place to live in Oakville? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/where-best-place-live-oakville-589338/)

dollface Feb 4th 2009 11:07 pm

Where is the best place to live in Oakville?

I need help!!!!!!!!!

Relocating from Ottawa to Oakville - any areas to avoid? best place to live? good elementary schools (public).

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks i advance ;)

Auld Yin Feb 4th 2009 11:20 pm

Re: Where is the best place to live in Oakville?

The best place to live in Oakville? As you are obviously a multi-millionaire, you should be paying someone to do this research for you.

It's an extremely attractive town with one of, if not the highest, income levels in Canada. Many new areas to the north and older areas closer to the lake. Needless to say housing costs reflect the affluence of the town. Your selection of where to live will be governed by how much you have/want to spend.

dollface Feb 4th 2009 11:28 pm

Thanks. Sadly not a millionaire.

Any areas to avoid? perhaps that should have been the question I asked to narrow the search area.

dbd33 Feb 5th 2009 1:00 am

South of QEW very nice indeed. North of QEW nice, fading to tract housing as you go north.

BC15 Feb 5th 2009 2:05 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 7249969)
Thanks. Sadly not a millionaire.

Any areas to avoid? perhaps that should have been the question I asked to narrow the search area.

Oakville is actually a very varied town (it's a city but likes to hang on to the 'town' bit). There is nowhere I know which is that bad. Even Kerr Street has been improved and is now a 'with it place' to live with quite a few ethnic restaurants.
The breakdown is this:
East Oakville: amazing properties, very expensive, very worth it. This is where the millionaires live.
Old Oakville/downtown: Oakville began in the 18th century and this can be seen in the properties south of Lakeshore with the historical plaques.
South West Oakville and West Oakville where 1950/60/70's developments. The lot sizes where all large (50X150 feet lots). Nowadays these are prime developments areas - the properties are being bought and developed.
Bronte: used to be a fishing village and is now one of the places to live. Great marina, beautiful harbour. Many places to eat and drink. Lovely walks around lakeshore and river.
Glen Abbey: North of the QEW, slightly older modern area. The advantage is modern house on bigger lots. The schools are very sought after.
West Oak Trails and River Oaks. Very modern but affordable housing.
To some degree or other the same goes for Falgarwood, College Park and Joshua Creek.

BC15 Feb 5th 2009 2:08 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 7250168)
South of QEW very nice indeed. North of QEW nice, fading to tract housing as you go north.

What the heck is tract housing?

dollface Feb 5th 2009 2:26 am

Originally Posted by BC15 (Post 7250271)
Oakville is actually a very varied town (it's a city but likes to hang on to the 'town' bit). There is nowhere I know which is that bad. Even Kerr Street has been improved and is now a 'with it place' to live with quite a few ethnic restaurants.
The breakdown is this:
East Oakville: amazing properties, very expensive, very worth it. This is where the millionaires live.
Old Oakville/downtown: Oakville began in the 18th century and this can be seen in the properties south of Lakeshore with the historical plaques.
South West Oakville and West Oakville where 1950/60/70's developments. The lot sizes where all large (50X150 feet lots). Nowadays these are prime developments areas - the properties are being bought and developed.
Bronte: used to be a fishing village and is now one of the places to live. Great marina, beautiful harbour. Many places to eat and drink. Lovely walks around lakeshore and river.
Glen Abbey: North of the QEW, slightly older modern area. The advantage is modern house on bigger lots. The schools are very sought after.
To some degree or other the same goes for Falgarwood, College Park and Joshua Creek.

Very helpful indeed. Thank you so much.:thumbup:

Do you live in Oakville? if so, do you like it?

dollface Feb 5th 2009 2:27 am

Originally Posted by BC15 (Post 7250278)
What the heck is tract housing?

Cookie cutter type??:unsure:

BC15 Feb 5th 2009 3:03 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 7250312)
Very helpful indeed. Thank you so much.:thumbup:

Do you live in Oakville? if so, do you like it?

Hi, I actually live in Bronte, which is on the western edge of Oakville and a port/marina village at that.

BC15 Feb 5th 2009 3:10 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 7250316)
Cookie cutter type??:unsure:

The new housing around here is not all cut from the same cutter. The houses are similar but each one is different. My friend from Australia and my relatives from England are amazed at the residential architechture, particularly the detail they now include in the interiors.

dollface Feb 5th 2009 3:31 am

Originally Posted by BC15 (Post 7250407)
The new housing around here is not all cut from the same cutter. The houses are similar but each one is different. My friend from Australia and my relatives from England are amazed at the residential architechture, particularly the detail they now include in the interiors.

New homes here (Canada) are fantastic. You get alot for your money in relation to UK properties.

Souvenir Feb 5th 2009 11:15 am

Originally Posted by BC15 (Post 7250271)
The breakdown is this:

I lived in Oakville 2000-2004 and would pretty much concur with what you've said, although perhaps not regarding affordability. Prices are probably double what they are in the NCR.

If I were to move back (without winning the lottery), I'd likely look at SW Oakville/Bronte. I wouldn't discount College Park, though. We lived there for a bit and I came across some very nice bits - hidden gems - mainly in the NW bit.

I can recommend an agent, if desired. We used her to both buy and sell. Very good.

dbd33 Feb 5th 2009 11:37 am

Originally Posted by BC15 (Post 7250407)

Tract housing is the sort of project put up by Mattamy or Green Park, it's where The Simpsons live.
Glen Abbey would be an example of an area of such housing projects. I fear that it is the sort of house to which you refer. If so, I salute you for your ability to discern difference between the houses.

dbd33 Feb 5th 2009 11:39 am

Originally Posted by dollface (Post 7250454)
New homes here (Canada) are fantastic. You get alot for your money in relation to UK properties.

Fragile, of course. Packed in with no grounds. Dominated by the garage. Big though.

Souvenir Feb 5th 2009 11:42 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 7251721)
Fragile, of course. Packed in with no grounds. Dominated by the garage. Big though.

Plus no trees, no sidewalks and, in the case of north Oakville, not much in the way of shops, bars, restaurants or public transport.