Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to live in Oakville?

Where is the best place to live in Oakville?

Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:59 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where is the best place to live in Oakville?

Originally Posted by sargie2710
CORRECTION.... www.realtor.ca
Decent areas though? good size homes not 1000sq ft?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

BC15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dollface
Decent areas though? good size homes not 1000sq ft?
http://maps.oakville.ca/eo6/WebPages/Map/MapViewer.aspx
Cut and paste the address above.
This is a link to the aerial maps on the Oakville web. Through it you can view the whole of Oakville. As far as I am aware there are not any areas in Oakville that are not 'decent'. You would get a decent sized house with a decent sized garden for between $300k and $400k and it does not have to be one of those just built along Highway 5. Whoops, must rush.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

taradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nice

Just for balance I am one of those that lives in cookie cutter West Oak Trails with its fake trails and poor schools (sic). We moved here from a heritage
property in Cambridgeshire but choose our house based on price, siz and area. In many ways we would love to live in one of the older properties closer to the lake but the reality of our situation (2 young children) and budget didn't allow this. My house does have those horrid fake pillars but it is 5 years old isn't falling down and appears to have no problems of quality.
It may be unpopular but I LOVE where I live. The 'trails' around our house are expansive and well kept and lead to a warren of fabulously appointed childrens play areas. We found a new one yesterday so can now count 4 in a five to ten minute walk all via the 'trails' so the children can ride bikes and scoot safely.
We have a Starbucks, Doctors, Hairdressers, Convenience store, Bank and Pizza parlour just around the corner and a bus service to Bronte Go. My daughter goes to Captain R Wilson and I am delighted with the school as are the other parents. There is a strong teaching staff, an excellent Principal and a great culture of encompassing each and every child. If you are considering a school based on results alone then you will fit right in in Oakville where competitiveness and keeping up with the Jones seems to thrive. You are right that you need to consider the whole picture, bear in mind that one of the better schools in Oakville (ratings only) has a horrid reputation of habitual bullying which resulted in one poor child being excluded after they threatenned to shoot their classmates.
So in summary, the best place in Oakville is up to you and what you are looking for. Most people I know that live here love it. My husband does the commute to Argentia and from here you can go the back way via Milton with minimal fuss.
Hope this all helps rather than just stir the soup!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Plus no trees, no sidewalks and, in the case of north Oakville, not much in the way of shops, bars, restaurants or public transport.
You need to revisit to get up to date.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I don't want to offend tilly but I have to put in a misleading post alert here.

There is only one Provincial park in the Oakville area. Bronte Creek. It's not out in the wilds, it isn't very big and it gets very crowded. Any patch of grass over four foot square is called a park in Oakville.

A path that runs more than 50 yards through trees is a trail. If you add a ditch to that, it's a ravine trail.

If you are anticipating anything like Gatineau Park, you will be sadly disappointed. It just isn't there. Smokey Hollow in Waterdown is nice but there isn't much else, as far as I know.
Ditches are dug (man made) ravines are formed by the course of water 9natural)
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by clynnog
Like this..
Just as well we all do not live at 500 feet in the air!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ah yes, built on farmland.
Kinda goes for many places throughout the world, dion't ya fink? (sorry, trying to make you feel comfortable by using your own language)
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BC15
You need to revisit to get up to date.
I drive along Trafalger Road every couple of weeks, from the 401 to the QEW. I'm not sure if any of that counts as North Oakville but it's all pretty grim. It fits Souvenir's description. Is there a less ugly north-south route through the sprawl?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Kinda goes for many places throughout the world, dion't ya fink? (sorry, trying to make you feel comfortable by using your own language)
I'm comfortable with English, no need to struggle for cred'.

I don't think it's common for towns to be built on farmland, especially not in Ontario. Generally they were built on land not suitable for farming as the farm land was too valuable, that's why Orangeville and Guelph, for example, have topography. It's also why they have trees; the remnants of forests not cut down for farming. Part of the awfulness of the GTA sprawl (not to single out Oakville, Oshawa is equally bad) is that because the housing estates have been recently be thrown up on fields there's neither trees nor hills.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

I drive along Trafalger Road every couple of weeks, from the 401 to the QEW. I'm not sure if any of that counts as North Oakville but it's all pretty grim. It fits Souvenir's description. Is there a less ugly north-south route through the sprawl?
No, I hate that road, particularly around Oakville Place and the Municipal Buildings. But it aint Oakville and your reply is totally irrelevent to the comment you to which you replied. There are loads of shops along the northern edge of Oakville now (being on Dundas) bars too (not loads, this is Ontario, pub lovers should stick to the British Isles).
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

No, I hate that road, particularly around Oakville Place and the Municipal Buildings. But it aint Oakville and your reply is totally irrelevent to the comment you to which you replied. There are loads of shops along the northern edge of Oakville now (being on Dundas) bars too (not loads, this is Ontario, pub lovers should stick to the British Isles).
Which would you say are the best independent bars and restaurants along Dundas? I see only garden centres and stonemasons yards.

Oh, and I think the Oakville municipal buildings are likely very much in Oakville. Also the mall, "Oakville Place".
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

I'm comfortable with English, no need to struggle for cred'.

I don't think it's common for towns to be built on farmland, especially not in Ontario. Generally they were built on land not suitable for farming as the farm land was too valuable, that's why Orangeville and Guelph, for example, have topography. It's also why they have trees; the remnants of forests not cut down for farming. Part of the awfulness of the GTA sprawl (not to single out Oakville, Oshawa is equally bad) is that because the housing estates have been recently be thrown up on fields there's neither trees nor hills.
Really? If that is the case would there not be great pockets of land even in Toronto itself which were good for farming and labelled 'not for building upon'? If it's close to a centre such as Toronto it's going to get built on (already has been) because that is the highest and best value for the use of the land. 'Sprawls' are necessary evils - you can't want immigration without providing places to live, and affordable ones at that.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

<pulls up map>

Wait a minute, Dundas and Trafalger meet. That's exactly the part of Oakville I think can fairly be characterised as a suburban waste land. Strip malls, giant pet food stores, franchised drive in coffee shops, could be anywhere in America. Are you thinking of another part of Dundas?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Really? If that is the case would there not be great pockets of land even in Toronto itself which were good for farming and labelled 'not for building upon'? If it's close to a centre such as Toronto it's going to get built on (already has been) because that is the highest and best value for the use of the land. 'Sprawls' are necessary evils - you can't want immigration without providing places to live, and affordable ones at that.
"Necessary" is debatable. However, the point of the thread was to identify nice parts of Oakville, not the one in which the poorer or more unlucky immigrants wind up living.

North Oakville. Necessary? Perhaps. Desirable? Hardly.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Which would you say are the best independent bars and restaurants along Dundas? I see only garden centres and stonemasons yards.

Oh, and I think the Oakville municipal buildings are likely very much in Oakville. Also the mall, "Oakville Place".
I believe you will find boozing and eating places along Dundas at Trafalgar, Neyagawa and Third. There is a good one (The Irish Pub) at Neyagawa and a great Indian takeaway on Third (run by East Indians). There's also big places like Sobeys and Price Choppers. If you don't see these please let me know the time of day you drive down that area - I'll avoid like the plague.

Yea, sure they are but I wouldn't judge Oakville by them. Take a turn left or right off of Trafalgar and be better informed. Must be the worst part of Oakville. So many better places to compensate.

Try continuing down Dundas (Highway 5) and take a right down Ninth Line. Much nicer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.