Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to begin - advice/help needed

Where to begin - advice/help needed

Old Mar 22nd 2015, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

ltxxxxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Where to begin - advice/help needed

Hi there, I'm looking for as much advice/ information as possible with regards to emigrating to Canada from Scotland. My husband's an electrician and I work in the accounts department within the motor trade at the moment. We fancy either Australia or Canada however would love as much info as possible on both countries before we make up our minds! We are starting from scratch so any advice at all would be brilliant on jobs , places to consider moving too , housing abroad & how much the process would cost and how much to roughly take if it's what we decide to do.

Lauren
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Where to begin - advice/help needed

My partner is leaning more towards Calgary in Alberta as he's heard about the job opportunities there for electricians. Australia is always an option but I know it's further away for family and to be brutally honest the spiders are a huge thing for me as I'd not need to worry about lasting long there if I happened to see one I'd have heart failure on the spot!
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 3:37 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. Canada is green with white bits, Australia is brown with a blue edge. Personally I'd go for Canada but that's just me. My brother went for New Zealand which might offer the best of both worlds. We have spiders in Canada (black widows I'm fairy sure).
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Really? I thought the spiders were only Australia and I found it very offputting! I really fancy Canada and we've been to a few of those working abroad expiditions but for the people from the company's who are at these events to do the visa application and all that for you i think its about 5 thousand pounds! We're also looking for the best area for getting a good job each
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 3:45 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ltxxxxx
Really? I thought the spiders were only Australia and I found it very offputting! I really fancy Canada and we've been to a few of those working abroad expiditions but for the people from the company's who are at these events to do the visa application and all that for you i think its about 5 thousand pounds! We're also looking for the best area for getting a good job each
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be flippant. I thought your initial question was such a broad one it was meant to be humorous. If you're serious then I don't know really where to begin with an answer. Have you visited either place? I can only comment on Canada, but why do you think you'd like to move here?
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Yeah we've been to Ontario but not Australia � ���� We just want to go somewhere different that has better opportunities and seems to be an overall better place. Did you emigrate to Canada or were you born there? My husband's an electrician and at these "working abroad expo's" the Canadians were telling us about the opportunities over in Canada and they seem to be a lot better than here
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 3:56 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Yeah we've been to Ontario but not Australia ������ We just want to go somewhere different that has better opportunities and seems to be an overall better place. Did you emigrate to Canada or were you born there? My husband's an electrician and at these "working abroad expo's" the Canadians were telling us about the opportunities over in Canada and they seem to be a lot better than here
We moved here a few years ago. I wouldn't say opportunities here are better. It's a bigger place with a lot less people, so the opportunities are spread out. We would have a lot more choice if we were back in London. You can expect the immigration process to cost you about GBP25,000 - if not more if you are a family of 4 with a house full of stuff. Visas are a whole other issue.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Its just myself and my partner at the moment. I never realised how expensive it was! do you think you made the right choice leaving the UK? We are pretty keen to get some money behind us but I'm just not sure of the visa costs and finding a home etc..i'd also prefer if my partner had a job offer before leaving for a bit of security
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 4:04 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I do find it hard when people suggest one place is better than another. The UK is a good place to live like all first world countries. Whether one country suits one person or family better is purely based on what they want out of life. Do you like the cold stuff? It's been -30 quite a lot this winter in Ontario and even as we head into spring, it's still a high of -6 out there today...can you cope with that? Will you be out doing winter sports? Are you outdoorsy types now?

You're question is ridiculously vague... You really need to go off and do your own research and then come back with specific questions. Narrowing it down to one country or another helps too! Yes....it's a lot of work to research etc but so is the whole process..
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 4:05 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Its just myself and my partner at the moment. I never realised how expensive it was! do you think you made the right choice leaving the UK? We are pretty keen to get some money behind us but I'm just not sure of the visa costs and finding a home etc..i'd also prefer if my partner had a job offer before leaving for a bit of security
The move has suited us and we're happy here. We might still have been happy if we'd stayed in the UK. Some people move here, hate it and move back to the UK and they are happy again. The winters here can be pretty brutal if you live in the cold bits.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 4:08 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
The move has suited us and we're happy here. We might still have been happy if we'd stayed in the UK. Some people move here, hate it and move back to the UK and they are happy again. The winters here can be pretty brutal if you live in the cold bits.
I can echo RP too.... I'm not unhappy here, we have a good life but we had a lovely life back home too and I would have been happy to stay there....
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

I'm not an outdoors type person but it was Alberta we were looking at and my husband was offered a job by a Canadian company when they were over for exceptional money atleast double what he makes here but we weren't in a position to go back then but it's always remained at the back of our heads and we have nothing holding us back. We've done plenty of research I was hoping for people to give feedback on how they have found the job markets etc in these countries when they arrived
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 4:10 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I do find it hard when people suggest one place is better than another. The UK is a good place to live like all first world countries. Whether one country suits one person or family better is purely based on what they want out of life. Do you like the cold stuff? It's been -30 quite a lot this winter in Ontario and even as we head into spring, it's still a high of -6 out there today...can you cope with that? Will you be out doing winter sports? Are you outdoorsy types now?

You're question is ridiculously vague... You really need to go off and do your own research and then come back with specific questions. Narrowing it down to one country or another helps too! Yes....it's a lot of work to research etc but so is the whole process..
12c here and looks like sun coming (in a rainy sort of way). I'm off to cut down some trees at the guide's camp spring cleanup (wife a Brown Bear/High Priestess thingy).
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 4:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

We just want to go somewhere different that has better opportunities and seems to be an overall better place.
Plenty of places meet your first criteria, the other two are personal preferences and subjective.

I suspect if you ask the same question in the moving back to the UK forum you will get entirely different bunch of answers.

As has been suggested you should do a lot of research yourself, make a few visits to each place before deciding to move there to have the best chance of success. Mistakes can be expensive and life changing. Ask specific questions on here, but don't make life changing decisions on the say so of a bunch of strangers in dark places.

The wikis on this site are a good place to start.
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Yeah i think i've asked the wrong question as i'm no further forward with an answer..its information like how much I would have to take to get started and what the job market for electricians looks like etc..good areas to stay in and places to look up but not had much response because my question was a bit vague

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.