British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Where to avoid in NS or NB to live? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/where-avoid-ns-nb-live-896596/)

raindropsandroses May 10th 2017 1:13 pm

Where to avoid in NS or NB to live?

I thought I'd better start my own thread about this. Are there any places best avoided to live in NS or NB? Its looking pretty certain that we'll be moving to one of the two in the next month or two, probably NS as I'm already being treated at Halifax hospital.

I'm a bit worried as I seem to have a knack of picking real scum hole places to live (prior to moving to Canada), and all of our friends here in PEI are convinced that both NS and NB are the roughest places on Earth and we'll be robbed, kidnapped and murdered within a day. We have been getting lots of "I went once but I'd never go back, I was so glad to get back to the Island and feel safe again".
Perhaps I'm the one being naïve but I'm struggling to imagine either province as rough on the scale of some of the places we've lived.

We will be looking for a house (hopefully a fixer upper, its a hobby of mine) with a 10+ acres within 1.5 hours drive of Halifax, Fredericton or Saint John. I would love to have horses again although not until my health is sorted.

Does anyone know of any places in those areas best to give a miss? We will be having a drive around and checking them out, but sometimes you just can't tell about a place and I don't want to have to move again after this.

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks :)

Howefamily May 10th 2017 1:25 pm

Re: Where to avoid in NS or NB to live?

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses (Post 12249616)
I thought I'd better start my own thread about this. Are there any places best avoided to live in NS or NB? Its looking pretty certain that we'll be moving to one of the two in the next month or two, probably NS as I'm already being treated at Halifax hospital.

I'm a bit worried as I seem to have a knack of picking real scum hole places to live (prior to moving to Canada), and all of our friends here in PEI are convinced that both NS and NB are the roughest places on Earth and we'll be robbed, kidnapped and murdered within a day. We have been getting lots of "I went once but I'd never go back, I was so glad to get back to the Island and feel safe again".
Perhaps I'm the one being naïve but I'm struggling to imagine either province as rough on the scale of some of the places we've lived.

We will be looking for a house (hopefully a fixer upper, its a hobby of mine) with a 10+ acres within 1.5 hours drive of Halifax, Fredericton or Saint John. I would love to have horses again although not until my health is sorted.

Does anyone know of any places in those areas best to give a miss? We will be having a drive around and checking them out, but sometimes you just can't tell about a place and I don't want to have to move again after this.

I am surprised that feel that way in PEI. I wonder where on earth they visited in NS.
The valley is gorgeous as is "the corridor" - Enfield up to Shubenacadie. and beyond. If you are in Grand Lake check out Todd Hill farm, thats a big horse barn in the area.

raindropsandroses May 10th 2017 1:32 pm

Yeah I did ask them if the were referring to Nova Scotia the province, or somewhere else in the world but we've heard it so often now. Its a vast generalization but people here rarely miss an opportunity to demonize anywhere which isn't PEI, one of the most popular topics of conversation is how much better PEI is than everywhere else.

Thanks, I'll add them to my list of places to check out. :)

dbd33 May 10th 2017 1:39 pm

I'm not in the Maritimes but do live in a nearly fixed-up house on ten usable acres seeded in horse pasture mix. I've previously had horses on the property where I then lived and know that I can fit horse care with having a job. However, our current horses are not at home but at a boarding barn.

This is because we don't have an indoor and without one half the year's riding is lost. Arguably the most valuable riding time is lost as it's the in winter that one needs a diversion from the misery of the climate and the darkness and the awfulness of the television programming.

I suggest that, if the reason for the ten acres is the horse potential, then an alternative would be to accept the need to board, find an area with a choice of barns and to buy a property with less land, perhaps an old school house. That would offer a greater choice of properties for the money. Of course, if you want ten acres for your llamas or because you have some exceptionally smelly hobby, then that's another matter.

raindropsandroses May 10th 2017 1:54 pm

The ten plus acres is primarily to indulge my hermit like and anti social tendencies, I like to be able to get home and hole up if I'm having a day when I don't feel great.
Im a stay at home mum for our social butterfly only child toddler who always wants his friends round, or to be at parties and I like having an escape place where I can metaphorically hoist the drawbridge at the end of the day :D

Yes, if/when we get horses I would want to board them regardless. Our current house here in PEI was a fixer upper, actually is was more the creepy abandoned urban legends style house at the end of a dead end lane and we've had great fun doing it up.
I like taking abandoned places and making them homes again, we've done it a lot of times now although I'm hoping this next time will be the very last time.

raindropsandroses May 10th 2017 1:57 pm

Llamas...now there's a thought! :D

I would ideally like the ten plus acres to be forested, but happy to plant them if not.

Siouxie May 10th 2017 3:49 pm

Listings, country property for sale, farms for sale in Nova Scotia | Country Real Estate Brokers of Nova Scotia
Farms, Ranches, and Land for sale in Canada | Farm Marketer
https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Farms...hanged=&ajax=1

here's some food for thought :)

raindropsandroses May 10th 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks Siouxie that's brilliant :) I scour point2, Royal Le Page and kijiji obsessively but hadn't checked the other two. There are some really stunning places on Country Real Estate.

Our current house is an old house (by PEI standards anyway) and I'd like an old house again ideally, I love them. Plus we now have a lot of antique Canadian furniture and it would fit better in an older house I think.

BristolUK May 10th 2017 4:52 pm

1 Attachment(s)

...all of our friends here in PEI are convinced that both NS and NB are the roughest places on Earth and we'll be robbed, kidnapped and murdered within a day. We have been getting lots of "I went once but I'd never go back, I was so glad to get back to the Island and feel safe again"....

That doesn't surprise me in the least. :rofl:
People here (in Moncton) feel the same about Halifax and Montreal, Toronto etc while people out in the sticks feel the same about Moncton. It really is quite laughable.

They talk about traffic here but what they're really talking about is generally half a dozen cars waiting for the red light to change. :nod:

It's a whole different world in these parts and different worlds within these parts too. I daresay that some folk in some parts of PEI view Charlottetown as if it's Pottersville or some other Sin City. :rofl:

raindropsandroses May 10th 2017 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12249798)
That doesn't surprise me in the least. :rofl:
People here (in Moncton) feel the same about Halifax and Montreal, Toronto etc while people out in the sticks feel the same about Moncton. It really is quite laughable.

They talk about traffic here but what they're really talking about is generally half a dozen cars waiting for the red light to change. :nod:

It's a whole different world in these parts and different worlds within these parts too. I daresay that some folk in some parts of PEI view Charlottetown as if it's Pottersville or some other Sin City. :rofl:

Yes exactly!!! And the people in Charlottetown think Tignish and Souris are dens of iniquity. We know a lot of islanders who won't even entertain moving more than fifteen minutes drive from Charlottetown in case they end up in a ghetto! :rofl:

People here are also absolutely convinced that the drug problems come from Halifax and Moncton, it couldn't possibly be from Islanders.
Even the Hells Angels here aren't considered quite as much as a bad influence as people from NB or NS, though they have been generating their fair share of bosom heaving and pearl clutching. To be fair all of the Hells Angels I've met have been lovely and very helpful, I was chatting to some the other day.

Still, its really nice to live somewhere so benign and peaceful, as much as it amused me sometimes.

pennyhp May 12th 2017 2:20 am

We currently live 10 minutes from Moncton NB on the Riverview side of the river. We have 20 acres overlooking the Petitcodiac river.
We have been here for 10 years this month since coming from England.
We are just in the process of listing our house to move to Ontario to be near our sons and grandkids.
We have found the Moncton area has been a good place for us.
Friendly and safe if you don't count the random shooter who took out three RCMP officers a couple of years back!
Usually there is very little in the way of violent crime.

We have Fundy National Park down the road which is beautiful.
And we have built up a good cleaning business from scratch here.

We have one horse right now. Two pet sheep and a llama.
We also board few horses to keep our girl company. I would never keep a horse on its own although many do here.

We are very keen to move to be near our family but I don'e expect to find such a place when we move.
20 acres within 10 minutes of Tim Hortons and Superstore was a rare find! :lol:

raindropsandroses May 12th 2017 10:57 am

Originally Posted by pennyhp (Post 12251035)
We currently live 10 minutes from Moncton NB on the Riverview side of the river. We have 20 acres overlooking the Petitcodiac river.
We have been here for 10 years this month since coming from England.
We are just in the process of listing our house to move to Ontario to be near our sons and grandkids.
We have found the Moncton area has been a good place for us.
Friendly and safe if you don't count the random shooter who took out three RCMP officers a couple of years back!
Usually there is very little in the way of violent crime.

We have Fundy National Park down the road which is beautiful.
And we have built up a good cleaning business from scratch here.

We have one horse right now. Two pet sheep and a llama.
We also board few horses to keep our girl company. I would never keep a horse on its own although many do here.

We are very keen to move to be near our family but I don'e expect to find such a place when we move.
20 acres within 10 minutes of Tim Hortons and Superstore was a rare find! :lol:

Thanks Penny, it sounds gorgeous in your spot and definitely a rare location! I have noticed and wondered at the one horse alone keeping here. My husband and I used to rehabilitate and re-train ex race horses and horses rescued from the meat auctions on behalf of an horse sanctuary when we lived in Europe, it is something I'd like to do again in time when my health improves.

It must be tough being away from your children and grandchildren, well done on building your business (that's not meant to sound patronising!) I think that's certainly no small task!

I know there will always be crime and less desirable areas, I just didn't want to accidentally move to the only kkk stronghold in the Maritimes which everyone knew about but which somehow passed me by or something along those lines as I've been quite adept at accidentally picking the wrong places to live in the past :blink:

I do struggle to imagine anywhere truly awful in the Maritime, it always seems so nice, comfortable and gentle here, but when I said that to one of my friends yesterday she shook her head and tutted and told me I only thought that as I'm a sheltered Islander. The irony that she has never left PEI in her life seemed to escape her :lol:

scrubbedexpat133 May 12th 2017 2:08 pm

I thought I'd better start my own thread about this. Are there any places best avoided to live in NS or NB?

In all reality there is not anywhere that I can think of in Atlantic Canada that I would say are no go areas. Even the less desirable parts of Halifax or Dirtmouth really are not that bad. Atlantic Canadians are afraid of their own shadow! :rofl:

When I first moves to Moncton I was warned about walking around downtown at night. I didn't have much choice as that's where I was staying. After a couple of nights and walking around all times of the night I thought that they must be joking to wind me up. It isn't even the same sport as walking around most UK towns and Cities on a Friday or Saturday night. I didn't see one punch up, argument or any bother at all. Much the same as someone who lives in a shanty town in Rio would think that inner city UK is a doddle. Its relative.

If you are looking at not being in Halifax or Dirtmouth then there are plenty of nice spots that are just a short drive away. The South shore is also beautiful depending on how far from Halifax you want to be.

If you come to NB the area around Shediac bay is nice as is the Valley from Rothsay towards Sussex.

BristolUK May 12th 2017 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Alex2201 (Post 12251415)
When I first moves to Moncton I was warned about walking around downtown at night...I thought that they must be joking to wind me up. It isn't even the same sport as walking around most UK towns and Cities on a Friday or Saturday night...

A few years back there was a punch up on Main St that made it onto youtube.
You may get asked for money there but whether you give or not you still get "have a nice evening" and it sounds more genuine than the have a nice/great day in the shops does. :nod:

Even Gordon St, where the houses are closer together, with a couple of bail hostels and a lone parent support/advice centre is benign.

Back in Bristol, any area with a hostel/night shelter - especially more than one - is to be avoided even in daytime.

Just a couple of streets with a handful of run-down looking properties is as bad as it gets.

Now Saint John may be a different matter. Before moving to Moncton I was looking for likely homes and a rental property to buy.

So many places in Saint John looked in poor shape. I contacted some realtors and they advised me which 'areas' to avoid.

Of course, this might have been a similar 'relative' attitude but it wasn't a simple thing like that street, this block or where two streets met, or a square or anything like that. It would be the north part of this street, west end of this one and south of that one.

You'd look on a map expecting them to converge and they'd be in three entirely different parts of the city. You'd also wonder why if that end of the street was problematic, why not the side street too, or 20 yards around the corner.

Moncton looked a whole lot better than all those ramshackle places in Saint John.

raindropsandroses May 12th 2017 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Alex2201 (Post 12251415)
In all reality there is not anywhere that I can think of in Atlantic Canada that I would say are no go areas. Even the less desirable parts of Halifax or Dirtmouth really are not that bad. Atlantic Canadians are afraid of their own shadow! :rofl:

When I first moves to Moncton I was warned about walking around downtown at night. I didn't have much choice as that's where I was staying. After a couple of nights and walking around all times of the night I thought that they must be joking to wind me up. It isn't even the same sport as walking around most UK towns and Cities on a Friday or Saturday night. I didn't see one punch up, argument or any bother at all. Much the same as someone who lives in a shanty town in Rio would think that inner city UK is a doddle. Its relative.

If you are looking at not being in Halifax or Dirtmouth then there are plenty of nice spots that are just a short drive away. The South shore is also beautiful depending on how far from Halifax you want to be.

If you come to NB the area around Shediac bay is nice as is the Valley from Rothsay towards Sussex.

Thanks Alex. We want a rural acerage, the distance to Halifax was just as I need to be fairly close to a hospital as I still need to go through rounds of treatment.

I'm really glad to hear its relative - we've loved in some very rough parts of the world and I was struggling to imagine the Maritimes to be as bad as Jo'burg, for example.
We had looked at Shediac bay and thought it looks nice, thanks for the recommendations :)