Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where to avoid in NS or NB to live?

Where to avoid in NS or NB to live?

Old May 12th 2017, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to avoid in NS or NB to live?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
A few years back there was a punch up on Main St that made it onto youtube.
You may get asked for money there but whether you give or not you still get "have a nice evening" and it sounds more genuine than the have a nice/great day in the shops does.

Even Gordon St, where the houses are closer together, with a couple of bail hostels and a lone parent support/advice centre is benign.

Back in Bristol, any area with a hostel/night shelter - especially more than one - is to be avoided even in daytime.

Just a couple of streets with a handful of run-down looking properties is as bad as it gets.

Now Saint John may be a different matter. Before moving to Moncton I was looking for likely homes and a rental property to buy.

So many places in Saint John looked in poor shape. I contacted some realtors and they advised me which 'areas' to avoid.

Of course, this might have been a similar 'relative' attitude but it wasn't a simple thing like that street, this block or where two streets met, or a square or anything like that. It would be the north part of this street, west end of this one and south of that one.

You'd look on a map expecting them to converge and they'd be in three entirely different parts of the city. You'd also wonder why if that end of the street was problematic, why not the side street too, or 20 yards around the corner.

Moncton looked a whole lot better than all those ramshackle places in Saint John.
Thanks Bristol that's really helpful. We were told about particular small areas to avoid in PEI (which now having lived here is laughable) and I always felt it was a bit bizarre, surely the "wrong 'uns" could just walk around the corner and tarnish the next street too?
I did think Saint John looked a bit more tired, the rural areas looked nice though.

I'd love to live somewhere heavily forested, I once heard someone say there's nothing between Fred and Moncton but trees and that really appealed.
Old May 12th 2017, 6:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

These might be of help

Halifax Regional Municipality - Crime Mapping
https://data.novascotia.ca/Crime-and...ndex/w64p-5ue3
https://spotcrime.com/ca/halifax
https://spotcrime.com/#Frederickton%20Canada
Mapnimbus
Crime Map | City of Fredericton

With Mapnimbus (pan out and look for symbols) and Spotcrime (not all places are covered, hold down ctrl and move map or try imputting city name), you can select different towns/cities.

Last edited by Siouxie; May 12th 2017 at 6:48 pm.
Old May 13th 2017, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Coal Harbour area of Halifax might still be an area to avoid, although it has improved somewhat in the last 15 or so years ........... it was an area where there not many role models in the sense of locals making good, joining the police, becoming an NHL player, etc.

Having a local girl join the RCMP really opened some eyes as to opportunities other than standing around on the street corner and selling drugs!
Old May 14th 2017, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Siouxie that's absolutely brilliant, and fascinating too.

Thanks Scilly, that's really good to know.

I don't expect anywhere to be paradise redound, every has its issues but its really helpful knowing more
Old May 14th 2017, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, things might well have changed now ............ certainly hope they have!

But my s-i-l taught at Ross Road Junior High about 15 years ago, it's a feeder school to Coal Harbour High, but there is also an elementary school on the same campus.

When he was there, the teachers would spend Monday morning trying to work out where missing students were ....... ie, where they had been incarcerated after Friday or Saturday nights.

Mind you, the "famous" hockey player Sidney Crosby came from near that area ..... so it wasn't all bad!!
Old May 14th 2017, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a bit generic to say Cole Harbour is bad. There good bits and bad bits like anywhere...
Old May 14th 2017, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

where did I say ALL Cole Harbour was bad?

I said it might still be an area to avoid!
Old May 14th 2017, 9:33 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

Well, all Cole Harbour is pretty small 😐
Old May 14th 2017, 11:48 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Well, all Cole Harbour is pretty small 😐
And not an area of Halifax.
Old May 15th 2017, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Suggesting somebody avoid it is because you have negative thoughts about it...so you think it's bad!
Old May 15th 2017, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Suggesting somebody avoid it is because you have negative thoughts about it...so you think it's bad!

What's wrong??

Have you been there?

Do you know anything about it?

Or are you just going after me for some reason???

I actually have been to Cole Harbour, and, yes, there are some nice parts, BUT there were a lot of areas that it was best to avoid in MY experience .............. and that is what raindropsandroses is asking.

When someone tells you the way to their house, and adds "stay on the main road, don't take any short cuts or you might be in trouble", one pays attention!

The schools do not always draw students only from the "nice" area ..... so yes, it is an area to be very careful of. My story of Ross Road is true.

There are many much nicer areas in NS

FYI .............. Sid came from one of the nicer areas, we visited someone who lived 2 streets away from his family ........... typical 70s subdivision, lawns and gardens well kept, streets clean.

BUT you only had to go a few streets further away and you were out of the nice area and into one that was much less well kept.

Sid was lucky ....... he had a talent and a very firm, even over strict, father (if stories are to be believed), and that took him out of Cole Harbour.

Sid was / is loved there, as is his mother. He is also trying to pay back the community for the moral support they gave him, and to act as a role model.

I also know of areas in Halifax that it would be best to avoid ........ but like many other places, you can go 2 or 3 blocks away, and be in a very nice decent area.
Old May 15th 2017, 7:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...298702015&z=15
Old May 15th 2017, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

What's wrong??

Have you been there?

Do you know anything about it?

Or are you just going after me for some reason???

I actually have been to Cole Harbour, and, yes, there are some nice parts, BUT there were a lot of areas that it was best to avoid in MY experience .............. and that is what raindropsandroses is asking.

When someone tells you the way to their house, and adds "stay on the main road, don't take any short cuts or you might be in trouble", one pays attention!

The schools do not always draw students only from the "nice" area ..... so yes, it is an area to be very careful of. My story of Ross Road is true.

There are many much nicer areas in NS

FYI .............. Sid came from one of the nicer areas, we visited someone who lived 2 streets away from his family ........... typical 70s subdivision, lawns and gardens well kept, streets clean.

BUT you only had to go a few streets further away and you were out of the nice area and into one that was much less well kept.

Sid was lucky ....... he had a talent and a very firm, even over strict, father (if stories are to be believed), and that took him out of Cole Harbour.

Sid was / is loved there, as is his mother. He is also trying to pay back the community for the moral support they gave him, and to act as a role model.

I also know of areas in Halifax that it would be best to avoid ........ but like many other places, you can go 2 or 3 blocks away, and be in a very nice decent area.
What makes you think I'm going after you? All I'm saying is that you can't just generalize like you did. Otherwise let's just agree that Vancouver needs to be written because there are too many pot heads!

FYI I lived in NS for three years and I worked with the population you dislike. Generalizing does nobody any favors!
Old May 15th 2017, 11:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
FYI I lived in NS for three years and I worked with the population you dislike. Generalizing does nobody any favors!
I dunno, I think generalizing Brampton as "Suburb populated by Indians", while not technically correct, conveys an accurate impression of the place.
Casting Cole Harbour as a northern East Saint Louis does seem a bit harsh, but I was only there once and barely remember it, perhaps it's gone to the dogs.
Old May 15th 2017, 12:09 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Cole Harbour is considered a really lovely area by some (especially the Colby Village part) and clearly not by others, as per comments on here. I dont have any personal experience except that its busy. Lots of traffic on the main drag through there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.