Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where are all the 'real' country builders

Where are all the 'real' country builders

Old Mar 26th 2005, 7:29 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: Where are all the 'real' country builders

Originally Posted by burmonk1
Being new to this forum I have been disapointed at the lack of posting from people moving to Canada who will be offering the type of skills that 'truly' help build a nation.
Most probably by the nature of this web site the forum is dominated by IT people (nothing wrong with that, many of my best friends...), accountants and even dentists (good grief).

So where are the all plumbers, nurses, doctors, electricians, carpenters, civil engineers, structural engineers etc & business people - investors, entrepreneurs?? The people who really help build a nation.
Well this posting and the ones that follow it lead me to beleive that advice is just not welcome. So no more will be forthcoming for a while. Sort yourselves out!

Mrs G

Old Mar 26th 2005, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

ClosedAccount-xyz is an unknown quantity at this point

:
Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Well this posting and the ones that follow it lead me to beleive that advice is just not welcome. So no more will be forthcoming for a while. Sort yourselves out!

Mrs G
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:25 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Being new to this forum I have been disapointed at the lack of posting from people moving to Canada who will be offering the type of skills that 'truly' help build a nation.
Most probably by the nature of this web site the forum is dominated by IT people (nothing wrong with that, many of my best friends...), accountants and even dentists (good grief).

So where are the all plumbers, nurses, doctors, electricians, carpenters, civil engineers, structural engineers etc & business people - investors, entrepreneurs?? The people who really help build a nation.
Does farming count??? We have a hay and horse farm.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:26 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=gooding] Retail jobs, self employed and tradesmen jobs continue to be looked down on in UK. Yet there is money to be made, but not without hard work. Something many Brits often do not want to do. As little as possible for as much as possible! ( I am not proud to be British!)
Nice if you can do this, but for the average hard working family, you are often looked down upon by many.
I come from the generation that said "You don't want to end up being a hairdresser, or working in Woolworths do you??" London hairdressers charge £150+ for a rip off ( cut and blow dry to them) More than a doctor!!
Who's laughing now?

I don't know anybody who looks down on Plumbers, carpenters, brickies etc etc, maybe not up but certainly not down.
I am very, very proud to be British but i accept our shortcomings and faults, every country has there own.
Maybe london hairdressers do earn £150 for a "rip-off" but thats just the salon owners and what about all the hairdressers who aren't in london earning minimum wage?
You have talked a lot of sense but we can all isolate facts and make them look like the norm.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:35 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
That's a circumstance, not a skill. What is/was your skill to be in that circumstance? Or are your circumstances circumstantial?
I think you will find that making money is in fact a skill! Anyone who can put together the sort of money needed to go down the business route into Canada has to have MANY skills.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:54 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

I think I may upset people here, but:

I did a 4 year indentured apprenticeship to call myself a tradesperson, although that is not to say that it automatically makes me a good one.

I dont call myself 'Electrical Engineer', because I don't have a degree. So why should a non qualified person claim 'tradesperson'?

Canada, good on you for regulating your trades.

D
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:43 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Here you forgot about car mechanics and welders

I am a time served car mechanic, City and Guilds
Also worked as a coded welder on high and low pressure boilers
I have been away from the trade for years, but it still counts for me in my application. So I am one of those ones who help build nations. I have fabricated and welded work that has been sent all over the world.
I have welded high pressure boilers in every part of the globe, from the old Levi jeans factory in Bellshill to a tobacco factory in Tiawain, things that I can say I made with my bare hands, from dragging the boiler plate into the factory, helping the plater burn and cut the plate. Tack all of his plate work together and then finally weld it !!!!!!!!
Brilliant I miss the tools these days and cannot wait to maybe get back on them in Canada.

Eddie
Old Mar 27th 2005, 2:04 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Being new to this forum
...Well theres your problem . If you hang around a bit longer you'll see that there are all sorts of people posting here. Maybe the IT folks stand out as they are the ones moaning most about the job situation.

Most of your "nation builders" are out getting on with there lives, but its not like Canada needs a whole lot more nation building...its pretty much complete and does OK in the UN league tables.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 2:18 am
Just Joined

getoutquick is an unknown quantity at this point

Where are all the 'real' country builders - HERE IN CALGARY

The OH is a brickie (stonemason in Ca terms), 4 years indentured apprenticeship red seal, advanced craft C&G, university of life degree!, 22 years experience (self employed), offered 3 jobs in canada in 3 days with no pr, landed a year and half later, started work 7 days after landing.

His advice is, if your a tradesman and know your job then your laughing and will walk into a job on site but be ready to work hard. They are in some ways infront but safety wise they are wayyyy behind and don't harp on about 'this is how we do it in england' or don't drive on site with a union jack on the front of your truck because you will just get a load of s**t from the other guys like - if it's that great why are you in canada. You have to be able to blend in and in most ways the building site antics are the same the world over.

As someoneelse mentioned about trades people not posting on here, he has not read/posted on here throughout the whole of our imm process but I do read/post. Any tradespeople needing advice just ask - or people needing a creative landscaping and brickwork job done in Calgary just ask.

Angela
Old Mar 27th 2005, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future

Mike,

I don't take offence at this but I'm one the IT 'types' who made the move to Canada and have worked damn hard while here and am making a success of it. An individuals personality and attitude has more to do with whether they make it or not - nothing to do with their profession (although my heart goes out to the people who have to requalify to get recognised). It has nothing to do with a bubble or jobs going overseas, most of that is development or call center/front line help desk work. The IT industry is driven by change and the people who work in IT should also be of that mind set - if not then they get left behind.

As for me - I work hard, get paid really well and work for a great company with a talented bunch of people. There, I feel better now.

Cheers - Steve

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
Yep I think you are right about it mostly being IT related types posting on these boards, continuously moaning about not being able to get the same positions and salaries that they earned in the UK being unable to accept that they may have to diversify and take up a new profession etc when reaching Canada if there skills are so in demand why don’t they set up freelance if there skills are needed they will find work. It seems to me that most of these jobs will disappear to countries Like India And China in the coming years but is it really any different from the UK. Most of you IT people have had your bubble several years ago move on. Didn’t mean to offend people but some do seem to bleat on.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 3:54 am
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a graphic designer and I will make this country great . . . . my logos will inspire all Canadians to stand tall with their heads held high, stout of heart and noble of mind.

Soon, with the help of my indepth branding knowledge, we shall RULE THE WORLD!!!!!
Old Mar 27th 2005, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

burmonk1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glaswegian

Mrs G

Thank goodness for that
Old Mar 27th 2005, 6:55 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
Anyone who can put together the sort of money needed to go down the business route into Canada has to have MANY skills.
Or have rich parents and/or a windfall.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, HWP.

If I wasn't already a citizen I may have been interested in doing that, and I did nothing to earn my pennies except be born into a family who did rather well for themselves a couple of generations back.

Hence my (ignored) question to Burmonk - what skill(s) did you use to get the money, or like me, did it fall into your lap? Let's classify your skillset in the "country building" stakes.

And I'm confused, if dentists aren't important, why does the fact that there's a shortage of them bother you? Can't have it both ways...

Biiiiink

Last edited by Biiiiink; Mar 27th 2005 at 7:27 am. Reason: Duplicate text
Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by SteveHarris
Mike,

I don't take offence at this but I'm one the IT 'types' who made the move to Canada and have worked damn hard while here and am making a success of it. An individuals personality and attitude has more to do with whether they make it or not - nothing to do with their profession (although my heart goes out to the people who have to requalify to get recognised). It has nothing to do with a bubble or jobs going overseas, most of that is development or call center/front line help desk work. The IT industry is driven by change and the people who work in IT should also be of that mind set - if not then they get left behind.

As for me - I work hard, get paid really well and work for a great company with a talented bunch of people. There, I feel better now.

Cheers - Steve
Yes exactly Steve there is demand for your skills, so you are using them and making a living out of them and i am sure seeing as you seem to have the right sort of attitude you would move on and find other employment if not. But there are many on these boards and others that seem to think they have a right to find highly paid employment in there chosen profession in any country they wish to live in including the UK and when this doesn’t work they blame everyone but them self’s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.