Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Where are all the 'real' country builders

Where are all the 'real' country builders

Old Mar 26th 2005, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

burmonk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where are all the 'real' country builders

Being new to this forum I have been disapointed at the lack of posting from people moving to Canada who will be offering the type of skills that 'truly' help build a nation.
Most probably by the nature of this web site the forum is dominated by IT people (nothing wrong with that, many of my best friends...), accountants and even dentists (good grief).

So where are the all plumbers, nurses, doctors, electricians, carpenters, civil engineers, structural engineers etc & business people - investors, entrepreneurs?? The people who really help build a nation.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are all the 'real' country builders

Go seek out a carpenter to cure your toothache when you're in pain then. Good grief yourself!

And what wondrous skill are you hoping to export to Canada?

Originally Posted by burmonk1
Being new to this forum I have been disapointed at the lack of posting from people moving to Canada who will be offering the type of skills that 'truly' help build a nation.
Most probably by the nature of this web site the forum is dominated by IT people (nothing wrong with that, many of my best friends...), accountants and even dentists (good grief).

So where are the all plumbers, nurses, doctors, electricians, carpenters, civil engineers, structural engineers etc & business people - investors, entrepreneurs?? The people who really help build a nation.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Go seek out a carpenter to cure your toothache when you're in pain then. Good grief yourself!

Seems that sadly many people in the UK may have to do just that given the absence of NHS dentists here. Fine if you can afford the high fees charged by private dental firms but many ordinary people have difficulty in financing this cost.

And what wondrous skill are you hoping to export to Canada?
A humble investor
Old Mar 26th 2005, 8:37 am
Just Joined

nodrog is an unknown quantity at this point

me me me im a carpenter/builder i love the dream but dont know if the time and expense is worth it from the uk if i could pack up and go now and thought i could get pr over there then iwould
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nodrog
me me me im a carpenter/builder i love the dream but dont know if the time and expense is worth it from the uk if i could pack up and go now and thought i could get pr over there then iwould

Only you can decide if Canada is for you. My fmaily and I love the place but it is not utopia.

However if it is for you then there are huge residential construction projects underway in BC (presume elseware?).
My family in BC advise me that good trades people are always in demand (as everwhere sic).

Hopefully one of the experts on this web site might be able to help / advise you - perhaps under the 'skilled worker' category? There seems to be a lot of moaning on this site so it would be good to see some clear, pragmatic advice for a subscriber.

Very good luck to you.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Yep I think you are right about it mostly being IT related types posting on these boards, continuously moaning about not being able to get the same positions and salaries that they earned in the UK being unable to accept that they may have to diversify and take up a new profession etc when reaching Canada if there skills are so in demand why don’t they set up freelance if there skills are needed they will find work. It seems to me that most of these jobs will disappear to countries Like India And China in the coming years but is it really any different from the UK. Most of you IT people have had your bubble several years ago move on. Didn’t mean to offend people but some do seem to bleat on.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

A humble investor
That's a circumstance, not a skill. What is/was your skill to be in that circumstance? Or are your circumstances circumstantial?
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

I'm here trying to figure out if i want to poorly paid in the UK, poorly paid in the US, or poorly paid in Canada. At least the world is my oyster!!
Old Mar 26th 2005, 11:07 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

We are a truck driver and a Nurse, see where any country is without either of them ???? Both are in demand but we are going (hopefully) on a family ticket.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 12:26 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

I asked a similar question a while ago. many of the plumbers, carpenters, builders, electrician etc. often left school with no little or no qualifications and straight into an apprenticeship. Again for many they have nothing to show on paper for it. They went to the Uiversity of Life..... for which I think is under rated. Without wanting to judge also many of these people are not into computers like others, or have the same interest in them as people who use computers as part of their life or job.
They are out there but probably too busy to waste time on forums
For immigration under "skilled worker catergory" most countries especially Canada, want a minimum of A level schooling to have considered completion of schooling, They are meant to look at the schooling of country you come from, but as I recently found out, all colleges in Canada, require the minimum of our A level certificates as equal to there completion of high school.
Many true tradesmen will not score the points needed, even 67.Many are self employed, do not have formal job references, and cannot apply under self employed catergory.Their apprenticeship is often through a family business. They can only show people their skills. As many probably work cash in hand, they also do not have a lot to show on their books as far as their true worth is known.
If they have been to college to learn and have proof Ok, or if they are employed through a company they will be better off to.
Nurses are still needed but need to do new exams, I believe doctors are not seen as in short supply or accountants for immigration purposes.
There are many engineers that I have heard of and I think they often get snapped up by companies, and are happily going about their jobs too busy to bother with forums.
As for so many IT people on this forum. As most appear to be unemployed in Canada, and know not what to do without tapping the computer. ( Don't throw your toys out of your pram IT boys and girls!!!!!!) They probably have so much time on their hands day, they use all their spare time visiting forums, and shopping on the internet.
Most nurses, doctors, engineers, business people have better things to do. Like earn money.

Old Mar 26th 2005, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gooding
I asked a similar question a while ago. many of the plumbers, carpenters, builders, electrician etc. often left school with no little or no qualifications and straight into an apprenticeship. Again for many they have nothing to show on paper for it. They went to the Uiversity of Life..... for which I think is under rated. Without wanting to judge also many of these people are not into computers like others, or have the same interest in them as people who use computers as part of their life or job.
They are out there but probably too busy to waste time on forums
For immigration under "skilled worker catergory" most countries especially Canada, want a minimum of A level schooling to have considered completion of schooling, They are meant to look at the schooling of country you come from, but as I recently found out, all colleges in Canada, require the minimum of our A level certificates as equal to there completion of high school.
Many true tradesmen will not score the points needed, even 67.Many are self employed, do not have formal job references, and cannot apply under self employed catergory.Their apprenticeship is often through a family business. They can only show people their skills. As many probably work cash in hand, they also do not have a lot to show on their books as far as their true worth is known.
If they have been to college to learn and have proof Ok, or if they are employed through a company they will be better off to.
Nurses are still needed but need to do new exams, I believe doctors are not seen as in short supply or accountants for immigration purposes.
There are many engineers that I have heard of and I think they often get snapped up by companies, and are happily going about their jobs too busy to bother with forums.
As for so many IT people on this forum. As most appear to be unemployed in Canada, and know not what to do without tapping the computer. ( Don't throw your toys out of your pram IT boys and girls!!!!!!) They probably have so much time on their hands day, they use all their spare time visiting forums, and shopping on the internet.
Most nurses, doctors, engineers, business people have better things to do. Like earn money.
Thanks for an excellent and detailed reply. Hope that there is a way of posting this so that people who fall into this category can reference it easily.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 4:39 pm
Account Closed

ClosedAccount-xyz is an unknown quantity at this point

here here gooding well said!
we are in that position where husband has been doing the same job for 18 years with the same company, has got loads of training certificates relating to his job. but falls short of the 67 points required. he left school with usual qualifications, but never did any 0 or A levels.
His trade is a floor layer(supervisor), coatings on concrete, anti-slip, epoxies etc etc. we are trying to find firms that do this type of work, but its hard going as they assume a floor layer does carpets, tiles etc.
Its a shame that the immigration system doesnt take into account the experience instead of the school qualifications.
Jeanette
Old Mar 26th 2005, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Kerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to all

so true gooding.
My Husband is highly skilled tradesman, through work experience only - no degrees etc. So falls short of points required. We will have to apply for a visa through my own qualifications, although when we get to Canada I don't really wish to work immediately (so as to get the kids settled etc). Does anyone know whether I will need to work immediately we arrive or can my husband work only?

Originally Posted by Jeanetteuk1
here here gooding well said!
we are in that position where husband has been doing the same job for 18 years with the same company, has got loads of training certificates relating to his job. but falls short of the 67 points required. he left school with usual qualifications, but never did any 0 or A levels.
His trade is a floor layer(supervisor), coatings on concrete, anti-slip, epoxies etc etc. we are trying to find firms that do this type of work, but its hard going as they assume a floor layer does carpets, tiles etc.
Its a shame that the immigration system doesnt take into account the experience instead of the school qualifications.
Jeanette
Old Mar 26th 2005, 6:16 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

I visited a group apprentice training centre in Plymouth last month, the tutor showed me around the very impressive workshop where I see Apprenticeships are becoming desirable again for school leavers, however there still must be a stigma with 'blue collar', from the 80's:

The tutor said that a teacher accompanied a group of school children around the workshop, thanked him for the tour, and when outside said, "now, that is where you will end up if you dont get your grades"

Darren (Sparks)

PS

Regarding industrial trades, in any country, no matter how much technology and labour saving Initiatives there are. "There will always be a need for a 'tradesman' to change the solenoid, pump, sensor etc." Good advice from my foreman once....mmmmm...he got laid off a year later!
Old Mar 26th 2005, 6:44 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Once you are in you can do whatever you like, go to college if you fancy, work part-time anything, send the kids out to work if you can!!
It is getting there that is the hard part. One of you gets in, but all the others are there with their own visa in passport.
Depending on what your husband does , he too may find he has to retrain, or take exams to get certified. They love certificates for everything, and I mean everything. If you haven't got one then you need one!
The only other way to increase points is for your husband to try and find someone that will sponsor him, workwise.
Obviously no work no money!
We employed a builder to build us a house on Vancouver Island. He employed loads of people. He himself was Portuguese. When went over to see the finished house he came around at 8pm, with two workmen to finish off a few things and stayed until 10pm. They said they had been working since 6 am.
He works bloody hard but does own 33 houses!!!! that he rents as well.
He has so much work yet not enough men to do it. So I really do not think your husband will have any trouble.
I believe the points were lowered to try and attract more "skilled workers" and this was not for the people that had endless degrees etc. This does not necessarily mean you have a skill. When they are doing degree courses these days in Coronation Street, Pop music and that sort of crap, it makes a joke of the education system. More people in Uni less to employ, at 16. Also looks good for government figures when they can say x% of kids are going to Uni.
How many leave before end of course. How many leave with £15,000 -£20000 debt? How many leave with no job to go to, or even any idea of what they want to do.
There are a great deal who do leave with a degree then go into a job that bears no resemblance to the course they took. Half probably could not tie their shoelace without a lecture on how to do it first.

Retail jobs, self employed and tradesmen jobs continue to be looked down on in UK. Yet there is money to be made, but not without hard work. Something many Brits often do not want to do. As little as possible for as much as possible! ( I am not proud to be British!)
Nice if you can do this, but for the average hard working family, you are often looked down upon by many.
I come from the generation that said "You don't want to end up being a hairdresser, or working in Woolworths do you??" London hairdressers charge £150+ for a rip off ( cut and blow dry to them) More than a doctor!!
Who's laughing now?

Good luck I wish you well.

QUOTE=Kerrygold]so true gooding.
My Husband is highly skilled tradesman, through work experience only - no degrees etc. So falls short of points required. We will have to apply for a visa through my own qualifications, although when we get to Canada I don't really wish to work immediately (so as to get the kids settled etc). Does anyone know whether I will need to work immediately we arrive or can my husband work only? [/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.