Where to?

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

wurtle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to?

Hello everybody.
This is our first post, and like many,others it`s a question about where might be the best destination for us to set our sights on for a new life in canada? After much research, we had decided on the alberta/calgary area, mainly due to the oil/gas industry (i am an industrial gas fitter by trade, installing and maintaining high/low pressure gas regulators etc) . But after looking a bit at nova scotia, it looks like that has an up and coming oil/gas industry and relatively cheap housing i think, maybe a bit like alberta a few years ago. Obviously we have to do some recce trips, but it`s not practical or affordable to visit all prospective locations, so i`m asking you guys! Just for info, we have two chidren, 2 and four yrs and my wife is a qualified(in the uk, of course) chef.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to?

Hi,

You are correct in thinking that housing in NS is relatively cheap. I have no idea about jobs in your trade in NS but I am sure someone will be along soon to fill in the gaps.

We are moving over to NS soon and we love it there but I know that there are many people on here who love Alberta too.

Other than jobs, what drew you to each place? The landscapes are quite different and the climate varies a bit too.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick reply, the main attraction was alberta, as my sister used to visit her inlaws there frequently, and she told us lots about canada(or at least alberta). that was a few years back, and we liked the sound of the lifestyle. I should say, we have yet to visit canada, so all my impressions are just that. All my info is gleaned from the web, and a few people i know who have been. I do have a brother who landed in alberta this morning though! so will get plenty of info from him in due course, and we plan to visit him later this year( best give him a week or two to settle!) As for n/s, i know little about it yet, i have much to research.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to have been alot of people suddenly wanting to come to NS, so if you search the forum there is loads of very recent info on all sorts of topics. Definitely worth a read through.

It is a long way away from your brother though and internal flights in Canada are quite expensive I believe.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wurtle
Hello everybody.
This is our first post, and like many,others it`s a question about where might be the best destination for us to set our sights on for a new life in canada? After much research, we had decided on the alberta/calgary area, mainly due to the oil/gas industry (i am an industrial gas fitter by trade, installing and maintaining high/low pressure gas regulators etc) . But after looking a bit at nova scotia, it looks like that has an up and coming oil/gas industry and relatively cheap housing i think, maybe a bit like alberta a few years ago. Obviously we have to do some recce trips, but it`s not practical or affordable to visit all prospective locations, so i`m asking you guys! Just for info, we have two chidren, 2 and four yrs and my wife is a qualified(in the uk, of course) chef.

The two Provinces you mention are like chalk and cheese. Without visiting both, I fail to see how you could make any decision as to which is better for you. Your research from where you are will take you so far but if you are seriously considering both of them, only a visit will enable you to make the final decision IMHO
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 7:42 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wurtle
Hello everybody.
If you are still considering Alberta I would suggest that you look at Edmonton area rather than Calgary. Most oil/gas field related service industries are located there not Calgary. Calgary is the head office city.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for the replies/info. Will keep researching and hopefully have made a couple of trips in the near future, as i know this is the only way to really find out. It`s just hard to know where to head for, so many possibilities.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:11 pm
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light

Saskatchewan is starting to really exploit its oil. Still affordable compared to Alberta, especially if you plan to get on the property ladder. But the wage usually reflects that. Regina and Saskatoon are the only real cities in the province, and they are small, offer little compared to bigger centers. Unless all the adults can drive it can be difficult to live. If choosing to live in a small town you either get one that is welcoming or 1 that is isolated. Just thought I would throw that it.