Reload this Page >

When you left....

When you left....

Old May 22nd 2011, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Project_Habbakuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When you left....

Originally Posted by engineer80
I'm not in Canada these days but here's my recollections.
1. What did you do the night before you left the UK?
Hardly slept. Reality hadn't kicked in.

2. Where did you fly from? Heathrow

3. Did anyone see you off at the airport? If yes, who? The folks
4. Did you cry? No
5. How was landing? A was driving on the 401 expressway on evening rush hour into Central Toronto within the hour.
6. What did you do on your first day as PRs of Canada? Drove round Detroit looking for the Motown Museum.

Old May 22nd 2011, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future

how did you feel? I'm just trying to get a feel for everyone elses feelings the day they said goodbye to the UK as their home for good. What I would like to know is:

2. Where did you fly from?
3. Did anyone see you off at the airport? If yes, who?
4. Did you cry?
5. How was landing?
6. What did you do on your first day as PRs of Canada?

The nearer this process is drawing to a close for us, the realer it is starting to feel that we just be emigrating to Canada after all! We could very well be packing our bags and leaving soon if we pass the medicals and the thought of how we'll react to leaving our loved ones behind has been playing on my mind a lot. Thanks for any responses
Hi,can't answer any of those questions yet as we are just waiting for our visa's to be sent back, but i have thought a lot about the same things. So glad you posted this thread because what others have put down has made me feel really good about the whole thing. I tend to play a senario in my head about what it's going to be like, but until it happens we will never know. Good luck with everything
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:08 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 27mich71
Hi,can't answer any of those questions yet as we are just waiting for our visa's to be sent back, but i have thought a lot about the same things. So glad you posted this thread because what others have put down has made me feel really good about the whole thing. I tend to play a senario in my head about what it's going to be like, but until it happens we will never know. Good luck with everything
I know exactly what you mean. Good luck to you too

Loving reading all these, keep them coming and thank you!
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:19 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

how did you feel? I'm just trying to get a feel for everyone elses feelings the day they said goodbye to the UK as their home for good. What I would like to know is:

4. Did you cry?
5. How was landing?

The nearer this process is drawing to a close for us, the realer it is starting to feel that we just be emigrating to Canada after all! We could very well be packing our bags and leaving soon if we pass the medicals and the thought of how we'll react to leaving our loved ones behind has been playing on my mind a lot. Thanks for any responses
1. Went to dinner with my parents and the kids then to the cinema to watch Shrek 3 (think it was 3). Stayed in a hotel the night.

2. Gatwick to Halifax.

3. No. Said goodbye to the parents at the hotel then got a cab.

4. No. My kids were given a picture of an airplane to colour by the air stewardess. My then 12 year old daughter drew herself looking out of one of the windows waving with tears in her eyes and a speech bubble saying 'goodbye'. A massive pang of guilt set in and I wondered why the hell we were taking them away from all they knew.

5. Landing was OK, relatively easy going through immigration.

6. Stayed in an appartment downtown for first 5 weeks here. Went out shopping for food on first day and did a bit of exploring.
Old May 22nd 2011, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

4. Did you cry?
5. How was landing?

1. With In-laws.

2. Sailed from Southampton.

3. BIL saw us off from Waterloo Station.

4. No we were too excited.

5. Perfect. Canada Customs came on board at Quebec city and stamped our passports "Landed Immigrants", we were then officially residents of Canada.

6. PR? no such thing in 1963. Our first day was in Montreal after sailing from Quebec City and we took a tour of the old town.
Old May 22nd 2011, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

4. Did you cry?
5. How was landing?
1. Quiet night at my BFF's house, we had already done the farewell parties etc
2. Heathrow T5
3. Nope, best that way I feel
4. Buckets, like a big girl
5. Easy peasy, about an hour tops, most of that taken up by the fact that there was a queue, our processing time was 20 mins all in
6. Picked up a hire car, went and signed the lease on the apartment I had rented from the UK.

As others have said, best of luck with your move!
Old May 23rd 2011, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

1. What did you do the night before you left the UK? We took the kids to a chippie and gorged on fish and chips.

Manchester airport

3. Did anyone see you off at the airport? If
yes, who?
Yes and no - our neighbour from across the road was buying our car off us and part of the deal was that he would drive us to the airport. He didn't see us off as such, more helped us unload our suitcases, said "bye and keep in touch" and drove off...

4. Did you cry? no

5. How was landing?Hellish - 4 kids and 2 adults after a 12 hour flight. Mr Chookie and I had not had any sleep in about 36 hours, the kids were sat of the floor falling asleep when we were going through immigration. It all went smoothly in the end, but I was desperately trying to keep the kids awake.

First night, we stayed in a motel - ate pizza, Mr Chookie had found a liquor store and bought wine and we lay in bed with wine and pizza and watched a program about the Duggers... for some reason that sticks in my mind

We went downtown, sorted out a cellphone, sorted out bank accounts, sorted random other stuff, ate a hotdog for lunch (which gave me the worse case of D&V I have ever had!) and then started phoning around looking for a house to rent. Second day as PR happened to be Easter Sunday and we took the kids to the zoo.
Old May 23rd 2011, 1:24 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Pub leaving doo/get together.

Manchester to London to Toronto.

No

4. Did you cry?

No

5. How was landing?

Slight cross wind, but smoothly down onto the runway. Long Que at Immigration, several none English speaking old East Indian ladies. No car, rental place closed so slept at the airport till 8am

Watch the snow fall and then play find the car at the hotel, and more sleep.
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:06 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

4. Did you cry?
5. How was landing?

1. S London (family house)
2. Gatwick
3. My mum and dad
4. Nope, but suddenly felt a bit choked when on the plane looking out the window. I honestly skipped to the airport, never been so happy to get away from anywhere.
5. Great through Calgary, very quick
6. Applied for tax numbers and got 3 months insurance.
Old May 23rd 2011, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

supergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nice

OMG We leave for Toronto in 3 weeks. Reading all your answers and the thought of the last few days is making my stomach do somersaults!
Old May 24th 2011, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

foxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to all

4. Did you cry?
5. How was landing?

1. Well I went to New York for 2 weeks (to see my mum and sis, with my brother) first then did a quick stop back (8 hours) to the UK and picked up my other 4 cases - so I was in New York but my last night in the UK - I went to my fav restaurant with 8 of my friends.

2 & 3. Heathrow - my brother was on my flight back to New York so he was the last person to see me. In a bit of Trivia : the day I left is the exact day my ex-husband got married again! Complete coincidence although wierd because I left on a Wednesday! New starts for both of us!

4. Nope - too excited, glad to get my 5 cases checked in and exhausted. I travelled on my own.

5. I actually had landed 6 months before but landing back then was no problem everyone was very nice at vancouver airport and as long as you have everything with you, you'll have no problem. Going back without a PR card and just the paperwork in my passport was no problem.

6. First day: I was met by my best friend and her family and i was soooo glad to see them, I arrived late so just chillled and unpacked for the evening and then the next day I just went to the store and picked up the things I hadn't brought with me and relaxed and caught up with my friends!

I've been here 3 months and was very lucky to get work after a month - in fact I've been very blessed through this whole process. From submitting my application form to getting granted PR status took 11 months.

I love it here and so far haven't missed London but with Skype, email and Facebook keeping in contact has been easy.

Hope your journey goes as smoothly as mine!!
Old May 24th 2011, 3:19 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

No way will I ever state that on the Internet (or anywhere else for that matter).

Mostly London Heathrow

Loads, too many to list. They seemed happy though.

4. Did you cry?
Oh yes, tripped up the stairs on the aircraft and whacked my head.

5. How was landing?
Heavy

Same as 1.

Last edited by Aviator; May 24th 2011 at 3:22 pm.
Old May 24th 2011, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

canglish is on a distinguished road

Watched England get battered by Portugal in Euro 2004...think it was the Rooney red card when that mug Ronaldo played it up game!

Gatwick

Mum and dad...I was only 20 back then!

4. Did you cry?

Tears of joy to be getting out of Essex!

5. How was landing?

Easy...in and out in about half an hour

Had been here for 2 years, home for a year then back to Canada on another work permit. Had been here 3 yrs full time when I became a PR so I believe I flagpoled...drove back home in a blizzard then went to bed!
Old May 24th 2011, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

dannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to alldannyg1001 is a name known to all

My mates clubbed together and gave me 300 quid and we all went to Belle Vue dog track then out in Manchester afterwards! Good night!

Manchester

My mum and dad

4. Did you cry?

My mum did!!!

5. How was landing?

Cant really remember...!!!

I met my (now ex) girlfriend at a hotel in Calgary and celebrated accordingly
Old May 24th 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Dinner with family.

Heathrow.

Just the taxi-driver.

4. Did you cry?

Hell no, done this too many times before!

5. How was landing?

Great, took less than half an hour from hitting the tarmac to being in a limo heading into Toronto.

Got my SIN first thing then went to work.

I believe totally in just getting on with stuff and leaving the worry for later, it makes life a lot simpler.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.